Is Racism Here the Same as Racism at Home?

Poo is not worthy of my time to argue. Racism is wrong, period. Perhaps it was still debatable in the early 19th century in South Carolina, but it is not deserving of any debate in the modern age, IMO. There is no case to argue, tash. I would not waste time arguing with this poster any more than I would with, say, the average underbridge-dwelling bipedal thingie. If you wish to argue with “it”, go ahead. Knock yourself out. I’m under no obligations, despite whatever illusions to the contrary you might have.

Have a nice day! :slight_smile:

All I did was take the topic of racism and connect it with cultural values. Throughout this website you will find postings from individuals that are critical of the Taiwanese. In many of these cases you will find foreigners who come to the defense of the Taiwanese stating that we as guests must be more sensitive of their cultural differences. Then there is the arguement, “if you don’t like it leave!”

The first thing some of the posters on this thread did was the shotgun approach of labeling me as a troll. Even one of the posters, Imaniou, sent me a PM telling me to

No, that is definitely not all you did.

If we don’t like racism here, we can leave? That’s a connection to cultural values? No, it’s offensive, it’s flamebaiting, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

How many black people are posting on this thread?

I think I’m seeing a lot of middle class white angst on here…lol.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]How many black people are posting on this thread?

I think I’m seeing a lot of middle class white angst on here…lol.[/quote]I noticed the b was missing when I first looked at this post. Did TC want to be all-encompassing then have a sudden change of heart?

[quote]Now I was hoping to draw a connection between the Taiwanese culture and their tendency to be slightly (notice I

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]How many black people are posting on this thread?I think I’m seeing a lot of middle class white angst on here…lol.[/quote]I noticed the b was missing when I first looked at this post. Did TC want to be all-encompassing then have a sudden change of heart?[/quote]No, I missed hitting the “B” when I first typed the post. I fixed it.
Geesh…thanks for confirming my post.

[quote=“sandman”]I suspect that what you meant is that racism is not CONSIDERED wrong by some people in Taiwan, which is no doubt true – there are mental midgets here just as there are everywhere else. But the way you phrased your post makes it sound as though you are agreeing with the argument that just because you’re in Taiwan it’s OK to be racist.
Is that what you mean?[/quote]

Hmm, I hadn’t considered the possibility that some pooheads might grotesquely miscommunicate rather than being, say, sickening racists and mental midgets. My bad. Shall we suspend judgment until such apparent bridge underdwellers enlighten us?

I did not miscommunicate anything. I phrased my writing in such a way to invoke a response, a discussion. I did not do so to encourage name calling - troll… bridge underdwellers… mental midget. So it is wrong to label someone because of the color of their skin but its ok to label me because I shared an opinion that is different than your own?

If the opinion is that racism is ok because this is Taiwan, then yes, it is A-FUCKING-OKAY to label the person a racist, and a bigot, which they are CLEARLY and UNAMBIGUOUSLY, by definition. Those who say racism is okay are racists; check the dictionary if you don’t understand that connection :unamused:

You needn’t bother responding. You’ll be ignored. And quickly banned, I would hope…

So am I.

Oops… lets be careful now. I never advocated racism in my post. Those are your words, not mine.

Then please rephrase your post, because what you wrote advocates racism.

Oops… lets be careful now. I never advocated racism in my post. Those are your words, not mine.[/quote]
OK, well then do you truly believe that it is not right to be racist in the US but it’s OK in Taiwan? Can you answer that…please.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]How many black people are posting on this thread?I think I’m seeing a lot of middle class white angst on here…lol.[/quote]I noticed the b was missing when I first looked at this post. Did TC want to be all-encompassing then have a sudden change of heart?[/quote]No, I missed hitting the “B” when I first typed the post. I fixed it.
Geesh…thanks for confirming my post.[/quote] You’re right. I do feel guilty. I’m coming clean. I directed the original poster here. EDIT: This thread has thankfully been split from the original. The “original poster” refers to the Persephone in the Blacks in Taiwan thread.

Oops… lets be careful now. I never advocated racism in my post. Those are your words, not mine.[/quote]
OK, well then do you truly believe that it is not right to be racist in the US but it’s OK in Taiwan? Can you answer that…please.[/quote]

I think you all overreacted to 5000years of poo’s post. Like the rest of you, I strongly disagree with his position. I too believe it’s wrong for a school to not hire black teachers in Taiwan, just the same as it’s wrong in the US or anywhere else, even if the school isn’t acting out of some belief that black people are inferior but is only acting out of selfish concern for profits and a belief that customers want white teachers.

But I’m willing to give poo the benefit of the doubt. He says his post wasn’t intended as advocating racist discrimination and I’m willing to believe that. One alternative is that he may be young and inexperienced and he still believes the naive, idealistic claptrap from good-hearted people who have hardly traveled abroad about how. . .

• one shouldn’t judge other cultures, and

• we may find some aspects of other cultures to be strange or disgusting or wrong, but we’re in no position to make such value judgments because we grew up in other cultures and don’t really understand, and

• it is wrong to say that aspects of one culture are superior or inferior to aspects of another culture; they’re just different.

I don’t believe the above statements, but many goodhearted but naive people do. One would think they could easily be dissuaded of such beliefs through a discussion of honor killings and other “cultural differences.” Likewise, if poo hadn’t been banned, I believe a calm discussion of how racism is objectively wrong everywhere probably would have convinced him. I’m willing to accept that he wasn’t advocating racism; he just didn’t think before he spoke.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

I have to agree with you that Poo should have had the chance to clarify his sentiments, however I feel he would have shown that he was racist…just my gut…

[quote]

• one shouldn’t judge other cultures, and

• we may find some aspects of other cultures to be strange or disgusting or wrong, but we’re in no position to make such value judgments because we grew up in other cultures and don’t really understand, and

• it is wrong to say that aspects of one culture are superior or inferior to aspects of another culture; they’re just different.[/quote]

This I don’t buy at all as is smacks of the multicultural “we’re all equal” nonsense that academia has been pushing since the 70s.

All cultures are not equal and there is nothing wrong with comparing them. I have only to draw upon the most disgusting aspects of certain cultures to prove this: stoning; female circumcision; honor killings…blah blah blah, you’ve heard it before. If all cultures are equal then all cultures should have made or continue to make the world a better place, and this is clearly not even close to being true. I resist the feeling of watching some stoneage Brazilian conedick tribe and finding them quaint as evidence that they are equal in culture to North Americans, or even Europeans wink.

I don’t know if I hold such a belief MT…I think if evidence had been prsented to him, he wouldn’t have seen the light…I’m a skepitcal optimist, but even I have limits. : )

anyway, Poo has been flushed…again…too bad, as I would like to have seen what his response would have been.

I started following this thread with genuine interest in Persiphone

Tash, Poo was not banned for his views, abhorrent thought they were to several people. He was banned a) because he was a previously banned member who revealed his previous identity and b) because he broke Forumosa rules by posting a private message from another poster.
Get your facts straight.

[quote=“tash”]Racism, Holocaust, war