Is reading blogs wasting time?

I read some political blogs, but I consider them mental upkeep. These are some scary statistics:

[quote]Workers spend 551,000 years reading blogs

01.11.05 5.20am

Trade paper AdAge.com reports that American workers would waste the equivalent of 551,000 years during 2005 reading blogs, online web diaries and gossip sheets, which have exploded in numbers in recent years.

About 35 million workers - one in four of the labour force in the United States - spend 3 1/2 hours, or 9 per cent, of their working week on blogs, the survey found. [/quote]

nzherald.co.nz/section/story … d=10352912

So what blogs do you read?

I read Little Green Footballs and Powerline mostly. I tried to read DailyKos to keep up with the left, but I kept sticking to things in there and felt the need for a shower when I closed out.

You consider Little Green Footballs and DailyKos mental upkeep? My goodness. If you’re going to be wasting time reading blogs, at least read stuff like Daniel Drezner or the Washington Monthly blog.

Yes.

Richardm’s blog is rubbish, he should update it more often, there’s hardly anything in it.

Yeah, blogs are probably a waste of time. Just like posting on discussion forums.

So is playing D&D, watching TV, and chatting in bars with members of the same sex.

Seriously though, it depends on whose time you’re wasting and what you should be doing with your time instead. If it’s on the clock when someone else is paying for your time and there is something you could be doing- you are wasting time. If you are just decompressing and don’t spend all that much time on it, it’s useful to keep your nerves down.

That being said, I’ve been on Forumosa.com for an hour now when I had planned to work on my website. :joker:

And if you think about it, this is actually a form of theft: Because you are reimbursed for the time you are working, if you’re not working, then . . . you’re getting free money.

Free money = stealing. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well, Powerline makes me think more; LGF is good for links to smaller blogs; Dailykos I just can’t stand, but I was trying at the time to get both perspectives and that guy has a big following.

Drezner and Washington monthly, I will check out. Thanks.

If it’s work related it’s not wasting time. But if it’s not, and if you’re spending way too much time doing it without actually using the information, then it’s still a waste of time.

If you need to ask the question (if you’re doing it in work time), then you’re probably wasting time…

From the point of view of the Acktioneer: Reading Anything is A Waste Of Time. Shades of the Monty Python sketch, something or other about "who’d rahter be doing wahsit rather than marching up and down the square?

Why read at all? It’s bad for the eyes. But so is jerkin off and drinking alcohol, especially at the same time.

Blog on,…

Can’t say I read any blogs regularly. I checked out DailyKos once, because someone seemed to think I was skimming stuff from there, and again tonight because you mentioned it; can’t say I think much of it from what little I’ve seen.

When I’m just skimming, I tend to go to sites (like truthout.org and ZNet) that offer a variety of recent articles (and ignore the stuff by the guy who runs truthout), or that let me chase down articles by a few columnists who I follow. Oh, this guy’s alright: monbiot.com/

I’d like to know what others are reading though.