Is referring to cities by their airport code a Taiwan thing?

I’ve only been there twice in my life, not at all in the past decade, and only have one friend who lives there, but even I knew this. It’s extremely common knowledge.

2 Likes

It’s not a failure to observe something. It’s the observation of the opposite. I am telling you that San Franciscans don’t call the city SFO, and Angelenos don’t call the city LAX, New Yorkers don’t call the city JFK, and Bostonians don’t call the city BOS. I have lived in all of those cities, and many others I won’t list where the local residents do not refer to by the airport code.

People in some certain cities may call their city by the airport code, but that doesn’t make it a “thing” in the US, which was the OP’s point. It only means it’s a local “thing” in those specific cities.

A post was split to a new topic: From cities

the ATL is used all the time .

I think that means it is inconclusive, given the tiny sample size. Hence I won’t be arguing for or against it being a general trend. I will just push back against it not being a thing at all.

Disagree on this one. Maybe because I’m really into sports, but I see BOS used plenty. Dictionary.com agrees. What Does 'BOS' Mean? | Acronyms by Dictionary.com Which again speaks to the idea that cities with multiple major airports are more or less the only locations excluded from this trend.

Tourists may do it, but we don’t do it in Boston. We only do it to refer to the airport, or the sports team (only because that’s how they happen to abbreviate it on the scoreboard, not because it’s the airport code).

Strikes me is funny for some reason :laughing:

ORD is Chicago with none of the vowels or consonant.

1 Like

And BOS is Boston with all of the first half of the word and none of the second half.

I love CDG. Not the airport, the city. I know it’s controversial.

But the airport itself is quite unique moving between levels or floors. Like what people in the 70s thought future transportation would look like.

2 Likes

Initialisms (technically they’re not, but I don’t know what they’re called) are very popular in Taiwan. I guess it comes from the business world. It’s hard to suppress a smile when someone says APP.

1 Like

Sure it is. It’s happening, and other people notice it but you don’t. Isn’t that the very definition of observation or lack of?

2 Likes

Yet people do, very regularly. That’s what is being discussed here. You finding it “weird” isn’t really relevant to whether or not it occurs.

2 Likes

I’ve never been to CDG (the city) but I have had a layover at CDG (the airport) before. It was lovely, although not as lovely as SFO (the airport). It was convenient. I loved being able to take the BART straight from my home in SFO (the city) to SFO (the airport).

How about you @Zhisean? Have you been to SFO (the city) or SFO (the airport)?

Ah, speaking of airports. That reminds me. I need to pick up my uncle from TPE (the city) this weekend and give him a ride to TPE (the airport).

That was my first airport ever in Europe!

It has been repeatedly stated by many in this thread that it obviously doesn’t apply in places like New York and Chicago. Places like Atlanta, DFW, Austin, Jacksonville, etc. where it does apply aren’t small, though. Those are all among the top 12 largest cities and/or metro areas in the country.

2 Likes

Yep! It’s actually significantly greater in the north than the south as far as major cities go. It’s particularly bad in the Great Lakes area, but pretty strong in places like NYC and Philly, too.

3 Likes

Isnt this thread in the Taiwan forum? I randomly asked taxis these couple days for fun to take me to TPE or KHH, not a single one understood what I was on about (the rest of the sentences were in mandarin). Even in random conversations that spring up where they ask where I am from, I said YVR, crickets. Vancouver, understood.

Outside of the ultra traveler’s, I still am having a hard time seeing this as a common thing in Taiwan. Have you been to HND before? Or, have you been to Tokyo before?

I still have doubts on this threads question being common, outside the previously mentioned specific fields.

1 Like

No, but I’ve been to NRT. Oh wait, same city.

Hahaha I think they meant it being common when writing in shorthand, not actually saying the letters out loud.

I’m having a hard time figuring out what they do when they need to refer to both the airport and the city in the same sentence.

Also, I’m convinced all that PDX merch was really meant to be airport merch, but then some idiot thought the letters represented the city, and started selling them as city merch, and then it caught on. :joy: