Is reservation a must to go to Alishan?

I’m thinking of going to Alishan next week (wednesday maybe) but am having trouble fiding ho(s)tel websites let alone making reservations (no credit card).

More experienced Forumosans please enlighten me: Do you think it’s possible to just take the train up there and try and find a place to sleep there? (I am not picky) I hear weekdays are quieter anyway.

Some internet writings say that there are ho(s)tel employees milling around at the station waiting to offer their services, but those posts were some years old.

Thanks for everything! I just arrived in Taipei 3 days ago, and will stay for 3 months, studying at the MTC.

Seeya,

twangy

You shouldn’t have any trouble mid-week. I’ve never made a reservation. Sounds like you need a guidebook though.

Alishan town is lame beyond belief and expensive . Instead, get off the train at Fenqihu (Fencihu) and stay at the Catholic church for NT$800 or so. Then hike down to Laiyi.

[quote=“twangy”]I’m thinking of going to Alishan next week (wednesday maybe) but am having trouble fiding ho(s)tel websites let alone making reservations (no credit card).

More experienced Forumosans please enlighten me: Do you think it’s possible to just take the train up there and try and find a place to sleep there? (I am not picky) I hear weekdays are quieter anyway.

Some internet writings say that there are ho(s)tel employees milling around at the station waiting to offer their services, but those posts were some years old.

Thanks for everything! I just arrived in Taipei 3 days ago, and will stay for 3 months, studying at the MTC.

Seeya,

twangy[/quote]

Fenqihu is not much better these days. There’s a bloody 7-11 on the “old street”.

But you can also hike to Ruili on the Ruitai Old Trail. About 4 hours through the bamboo groves. Gorgeous. The trail is easy to follow and mapped the whole way.

[quote=“Feiren”]Alishan town is lame beyond belief and expensive .[/quote]My brother and I had a very pleasant and inexpensive stay there a few years ago (tatami room at a place called the Gaofeng I think). We enjoyed doing the morning circuit - watching the sunrise in the crowd was an interesting experience, and later when we walked down and around the pond, the temples, etc., it was peaceful and not too crowded.

Maybe it’s got more expensive since then.

Sure, thanks!

I do have a good handbook (not specific only to Alishan but quite a long piece on it too) it’s just that because I am such a control freak a dread the thought of going anywhere unprepared. :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for the info and talk to you later. I’ve been lurking around the board for some time before, and sure find it interesting especially now that I’m actually in Taiwan.

Agree. But the Catholic church is off the “old street” and is a great place to hang out on a sunn afternoon.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Fenqihu is not much better these days. There’s a bloody 7-11 on the “old street”.

But you can also hike to Ruili on the Ruitai Old Trail. About 4 hours through the bamboo groves. Gorgeous. The trail is easy to follow and mapped the whole way.[/quote]

[quote=“Feiren”]Agree. But the Catholic church is off the “old street” and is a great place to hang out on a sunn afternoon.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Fenqihu is not much better these days. There’s a bloody 7-11 on the “old street”.

But you can also hike to Ruili on the Ruitai Old Trail. About 4 hours through the bamboo groves. Gorgeous. The trail is easy to follow and mapped the whole way.[/quote][/quote]

Agreed. And the sister who runs the place is a sweet old gal. BTW, ever done the Ruitai Old Trail? I’ve done parts. The bamboo forests looked like the set of an wushu film.