Is Santa dead?

That would be me but I can pull my big girl underroos up to get schooled. Forumosans are good for that gift.

1 Like

Adults love stories about people bringing stuff to their house. In real life it’s the other way around!

1 Like

And there was always a glass of brandy for Santa.

And he drank it too

He’s a healthy drinker!

1 Like

I prepare good cookies.

1 Like

First of all, Santa Claus is actually based on a real person, who was someone called Saint Nicholas Claus, and he liked giving present to children, so the tradition lived on.

The whole workshop in the north pole stuff is just embellishment but the whole idea of Santa Claus is that there was someone a long time ago who liked giving presents to children on Christmas.

1 Like

I don’t care for Richard Dawkins, but he said something that once struck a chord with me. He was discussing parents who tell their children that Santa exists because they want their children to have a sense of wonder about the world. He argued that you don’t need to lie to your children about the existence of fantastical and mythological beings for them to have a sense of wonder because science does the same thing.

But I’d also add, from my own experience, that I don’t think knowing that Santa doesn’t actually exist really diminishes anything wondrous about Christmas. I always knew Santa doesn’t exist, but I was still just as excited about Christmas and sitting on Santa’s lap at the shopping mall (back when that was a thing that happened) as any other child. Likewise, I was absolutely obsessed with mythology and would always imagine Zeus and his cohorts sitting in the clouds above me, and I remember looking for them the out the window the first time I went on a plane. I knew they didn’t really exist, but somehow that didn’t stop me from believing in them.

3 Likes

IMO that hits the nail on the head.

Santa is dead. Santa remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, grinches of all grinches? What was fattest and jolliest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our sharpened candy canes.

1 Like

My daughter questioned me about who really left the stocking for her and I admitted to her it was me. She’s refused to believe me. I like her refusal to accept the word of authority.

Obviously, she’s bright enough to be in on the joke. I’d be concerned if she wasn’t.

It’s an important skill to understand when beliefs are clearly implausible.

1 Like

The problem with common folks is that they take away the sense of wonder from science. A kid says “Wow look at the sky!” and the adult replies “meh, it’s just a rainbow. Science explains it.”

3 Likes

image Let’s talk…who hurt you, man? :wink:

6 Likes

How long back can you remember? My kids figured out Santa wasn’t real around four, and I have no memories at all from those years.

The nicest would be, “Mom, you don’t look fat in those jeans.”

Then maybe Santa.

1 Like

Satan wears clothes?

It’s one story Canada and the US agree on. :rainbow:

2 Likes

In 2nd grade. For whatever reason my teacher in Taiwan decided she needed to tell the whole class that Santa wasn’t real. More reasons I hated school in Taiwan. I guess most Taiwanese kids 20+ years ago didn’t celebrate Christmas anyways so she probably assumed it wasn’t a big deal for us.

But wtf. What kind of teacher does something like that.

I will never send my kids to school in Taiwan. Never had a positive experience.

2 Likes

christmas in taiwan kinda sucks. its about taking selfies next to lights? dating? hey its cool to join in but i want no part of taiwan christmas.

2 Likes

OMG next you are going to tell me the Tooth Fairy is not real either?

Come on cartoons aren’t real either
Why can’t kids live in a make believe world a little bit
When they are kids

3 Likes