Is Slicing the Balls Off Polluters Culturally Insensitive?

Someone did some research aeons ago in the UK demonstrating that people would not walk a short distance to use a litter bin and would drop it on the floor, but would carry their litter home if there was no place to put it.

Of course, that was after the decade or two of public information films (public awareness campaigns) aimed at persuading people that litter was bad.

Ok, I see the problem, but there can be done something against it. for example search their waste for adresses and fine them, for example. I don’t really see the solution in not having any waste bins at all…

gosh i am so happy not to be a politician…

Wait till you live in Taiwan…all will become clear. :laughing:

Somewhat related (i.e. fining people for improperly disposing of their garbage)…

One of my neighbors was waiting for the garbage truck. She had to go back to her apartment for some reason, so she set the garbage bag on the curb. By the time she got to the curb, the garbage truck had come, picked up the bag, and gone. A week later, she opened her mail to find she had been fined for “abandoning” the garbage. They got her address from some envelopes she had thrown in the garbage bag.

Somewhat related (i.e. fining people for improperly disposing of their garbage)…

One of my neighbors was waiting for the garbage truck. She had to go back to her apartment for some reason, so she set the garbage bag on the curb. By the time she got to the curb, the garbage truck had come, picked up the bag, and gone. A week later, she opened her mail to find she had been fined for “abandoning” the garbage. They got her address from some envelopes she had thrown in the garbage bag.[/quote]
That’s excellent! There’s hope for this place, yet… :smiley:

Why did she put recyclable envelopes in the rubbish ?

Dunno, I’ll ask and get back to you. Actually, I’m not even sure if it was an envelope. Could have been some of that plasticky junk mail.

good point tmwc… i remember as a kid the “litter is evil” campaigns were relentless… i doubt anyone in taiwanese govt. has even in their wildest dreams ever realised the need for, let alone contemplated establishing such a program in taiwan…

also the legislaters must have the windows on their huge black benzes tinted a little too dark, since they apparently haven’t noticed that without fail the largest, most noxious clouds of smoke are emitted by small 50cc scooters, who’s owners are just too damn selfish and/or cheap to drop a few hundred bucks getting their smoke problems fixed…

and yet, i have to pay NT$50,000 pollution testing fee, and NT$12,000 tax a year on my 600cc bike, which has a catalytic converter and is virtually emmission free… because the legislators say “big bikes pollute”… i’ve always been of the opinion that all motorcycles in taiwan should have the exhaust right between the handle bars, pointing at the riders face… that would make sure people have clean running bikes/scooters… :imp:

What makes this situation pitiful is that, as you point out, the problem is visible, which means that cracking down on it is easily done. If you nail people for not having a helmet, surely you can nail them for spewing out noxious blue smoke…