Is Taipei Hostel any good?

I have friends coming over and their planning on staying at the
www.taipeihostel.com

Does anybody know that place? Good? Clean? Air-con? Roaches?

Thanks

[quote=“mesheel”]I have friends coming over and their planning on staying at the
www.taipeihostel.com

Does anybody know that place? Good? Clean? Air-con? Roaches?

Thanks[/quote]

I stayed there for 7 months…many, many years ago. It was fine then. :slight_smile:

I liked Formosa hostel better. You might want to check that one out as well.

I remember formosa hostel being quite crappy 3 years ago…can taipei hostel really be worse?

Taipei Hostel, wow, that brings back memories. I stayed at TH in '89 when the infamous East German Deitrich was living there. The guy would never leave the place except for a visa run every 2 months. He had a Japanese gf buy and cook food for him as he strode around in nothing but a towel. Deitrich monopolized the hash market in the hostel and would get other guests kicked out if they tried to sell any hash in the place. One day, Taipei cops showed up at TH looking for Deitrich based on a tip that he was selling hash. They asked for Deitrich and when he appeared, the cops asked Deitrich to take them to his room. Deitrich takes the cops to a different room and shows them another guy’s bed. The cops spend a few minutes searching the bed, find nothing and leave. Brilliant police work. Deitrich kept on selling.

Oh, sorry, I have no idea what it is like today, but I’m sure there are still characters in that place. It’s probably still good for a laugh. :smiley:

[quote=“smerf”]
Oh, sorry, I have no idea what it is like today, but I’m sure there are still characters in that place. It’s probably still good for a laugh. :smiley:[/quote]

When I was there we had a down and out Brit who wore a stained white tropical suit everyday and drank Taiwan Rum for breakfast. Also Space and the Noseless Brazilian were there. :laughing:

It’s OK. The place is full of mosquitos, even when they seem to be scarce in the rest of Taipei. However, that is normal for hostels here. I never saw any roaches, and it’s winter, so it’s probably OK.
They have cooking facilities. Hot water and pretty strong showers. A place to store your luggage. They’re right next to Shandao MRT station.

Bababa, was that recently?

Thanks…I might check it out myself sooner or later.

[quote=“mesheel”]Bababa, was that recently?

[/quote]
I stayed there for more than a month in January and February, 2004, and again in the summer. It’s better than Amigo Hostel, in my opinion; Happy Family II, right next to the train station, is even more conveniently located, but I’ve never seen the dorms there.

The best hostel BY FAR in Taipei must be World Scholar House. Nothing can compare!
They have a website, check it out.
Oh by the way, I stayed in Amigo, Taipei Hostel and WSH. The other two, in comparison … :noway: