Is Taiwan a senior citizen friendly country?

Junior!

I hope not!

What Utopia do you come from?

They buy property like candy.

A little green island that the pensioners rule with their vote.

I fi nd taiwan a great place for old people culturaly. Logistically and financially it seems shitty. Interestingly places like kaohsiung are developing more and better in ways older super compact places like taipei probably cant. Such as proper sidewalks. Kaohsoung is more spread out and developing many new areas. If i was 50 and planning to die here, i might strongly consider there.

But there is not much pension unless youre milking the government teet. But even that likely has to get rolled down even more (obviously). Getting around is hard unless you have money for taxis. Old people arent allowed to drive. Pollution is bad so anyone with lung issuesā€¦

Health care is good, so foreingers would likely save enough on that along compared to ā€œback homeā€ to justify daily taxi rides :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a :uk: senior, pensioner, oldie, call it what you like. I got my first pension (occupational) at 50, then my Gov. pension at 65. I get free healthcare, eye & hearing checks, prescriptions, bus travel, winter fuel allowance, subsidised entry to chargeable venues and can apply for a number of coach & rail cards giving lower fares.

Here in :taiwan: I am just an old ā€œWaiguo renā€ resident by marriage, with white hair and taller than the average local. I get to sit on the MRT blue seats, use my ARC to get occasional subsidised entry to venues and my NHI for annual check ups and flu jabs. I think I qualify as a grumpy old bastard in both countries. As yet I can still walk unaided and do not piss myself or fall asleep on the MRT.

3 Likes

MOI counts people who are 65 yo or older as senior population.
https://www.moi.gov.tw/stat/news_detail.aspx?sn=13742

1 Like

This, right here.

When I see these old folks who boldly walk across the street on a red light, ignoring the traffic swerving around them, I used to think, ā€œNow, I know traffic lights have been in existence for decades. How do these people not know their purpose?ā€ Then I finally realized theyā€™re just old farts with a sense of entitlement like you said. Iā€™m 56 and I hope I donā€™t get that selfish and prune-faced.

2 Likes

I have to disagree with thisā€¦at least in Taipei. I canā€™t speak for places outside of Taipeiā€¦even New Taipei.

However, I know that a majority of awnings in Taipei have been redone to make it wheelchair friendly. Before, each store front had a different awning level and you had to go up and down the steps. Thatā€™s def a wheelchair nightmare.

Pavements or sidewalks in Kaohsiung are my biggest bug-bear. Non existent in places, those that are there are in poor condition due to cars parking and driving on them, plus motor scooters using them as additional highways. Definitely not a wheelchair friendly or limited mobility city. Thank goodness I can still walk unaided or ride a bicycle (on the correct path and in the right direction).

2 Likes

Whatā€™s more important is how old you look. If your hair is mostly gray, you can probably get away with anything you like.

1 Like

Iā€™m writing from the perspective of Danshui, and especially the areas within walking distance of my apartment. Sidewalks in that area are either lacking or useless, unfortunately.

1 Like

Very true. I have to assume that anyone that wants to retire, would steer more towards New Taipei City where some parts are quieter and peaceful, but itā€™s just not as senior citizen friendly as Taipei :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I am 67, and have been offered a Priority seat on Buses and Trains by men (not women!) older then me for maybe the last 10 years. If its full, just stand close to one and on 50% the one sitting there will soon offer it up.

Sidewalks are a pain, lack of, used for parking, and the ups and downs, even steps in many. I have been brushed by passing scooters a few times where no sidewalk exists, but not ā€˜hitā€™ (yet). I usually walk on the side that faces the traffic, as it lets me see them coming.

Wheelchairs - forget that in 99% of cases, Taiwan is not Wheelchair friendly, except in new build areas and of course the MRT.

3 Likes

Very important especially at night.

I was always taught From an early age to walk facing the oncoming traffic. Our UK Government Highway Code which is only advisory says
Rule 2 for Pedestriansā€¦

If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light keep close to the side of the road.
It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.
(Bear in mind in UK we drive on the left)
My wife, who is Taiwanese insists the opposite and walks with the flow of traffic ā€¦ I can say no more :grinning:

Latest recommendation from Taiwan authorities is to walk against the flow of traffic, significantly lower fatality rate especially at night. You can ask her to search for it.

The whole point is surviving until you get old enough to just up and take a whizz wherever, whenever you feel like it and nobody says shit. :+1:

I just wish more of the nearby roads actually had a clear flow of oncoming traffic. Hard to tell which side itā€™s on sometimes.