Is Taiwan actually a country?

Taiwan, or the ROC if you prefer, meets all of these criteria.

8 Likes

Why don’t you read the next section about recognition:

See the 2 conditions. 1. Declarative 2. Recognized by others.

Taiwan doesn’t meet any of these. Ergo , …

It requires the US formal recognition. Realpolitik.

2 Likes

Exactly. But the people refuse to understand.

And the US is the hypocrite no 1 on this issue.

If Taiwanese were white, having judeo-Christian history, US, UK etc. wouldn’t have a problem maintaining official relations like Taiwan the way it does with Israel.

You realise that all of your definitions have more holes than swiss cheese eh?

a defined territory
a permanent population
a government, and
a capacity to enter into relations with other states.

Yes. Taiwan, officially the Republic of China has defined territories of land. It has borders, enforcement and disputed territories. Just like almost all countries.

Yes. People live permanently in Taiwan. It’s even in your username.

Yes. Taiwan has a government. I pay with Taiwanese currency issues by the Taiwanese central bank.

Yes. Taiwan has the capacity to enter into relations as it does have official diplomatic relations.

2 Likes

Sure. But no-one cares about the Taiwanese cheese. No one cares who live here and what they think, in the “official” sense. So unfortunately the status remain - non-country.

Would I like it changed - Ofcourse. But fact remains that in today’s world, the power structure wrt this issue is titled in favor of China.

But that’s not in the declarative theory that you pointed out.

And countries do care, they accept the passports.

This is what you originally wrote. Quit changin it after I post.

1 Like

That’s a pretty bizarre hypothetical that says more about your personal biases than anything else. Do you have any evidence to support this?

4 Likes

Bhutan doesn’t recognise China. I wonder why? Must be something to do with monarchy.

1 Like

…If China was the size of Palestine without nuclear weapons. Yeah. I don’t think colour comes into it too much .

4 Likes

Bhutan didn’t even establish relations with most nations until the late 2000s. Even right now it’s a handful. It continues to not have relations with the US. Is it not a country?

Sure nukes make it a lot more complicated. But even without nukes, IMHO, the world would still not interfere wrt. China/Taiwan, if it meant keeping their economies running, just like they are today.

I feel color comes everywhere, maybe in different degrees.

Recognised by at least one UN Member State.

Recognised by 15 UN member states.
Satisfies all four declarative theories of statehood.

These are your proofs. You’re proving yourself wrong.

3 Likes

Indeed.

It’s interesting that pretty much every country that borders China, or is near China, has a terrible relationship with the CCP. NK being the only exception?

It’s almost as if the CCP are complete shits who are impossible to work with.

4 Likes

This is REALLY off-topic.

1 Like

Shitting on china is never off topic.

7 Likes

Huh?

The declarative theory defines a state as a person in international law if it meets the following criteria:

1. a defined territory
  2. a permanent population
  3. a government, and
  4. a capacity to enter into relations with other states.

Taiwan meets every single criteria in the declarative theory

Proto-states often reference either or both doctrines in order to legitimise their claims to statehood. There are, for example, entities which meet the declarative criteria (with de facto partial or complete control over their claimed territory, a government and a permanent population), but whose statehood is not recognised by any other states.”

They may try to legitimize, but if it’s not recognized by other states, those claims are meaningless. ( unfortunately the way it is with Taiwan at the moment)

A proto-state is not necessarily synonymous with a state with limited recognition that otherwise has all the hallmarks of a fully functioning sovereign state, such as Rhodesia or the Republic of China, also known as Taiwan. :rofl:

The only rock solid theory is calling Taiwan a country. Everything else has way too many holes.

Not a UN member? Sovereign states exist outside the UN. (Holy See, Switzerland before 2002)
Few relations? Sovereign states have been known to have few relations. (Iran, NK, Cuba, Bhutan)
Disputed territory? Almost all countries have disputed territories.

There are so many holes that you’re gonna give me trypophobia.

By the way, the word proto-state wasn’t even coined until ISIS became a thing. Taiwan in its current form has been here since before the word.

This is the first revision of the article. It was created in response to ISIS.

Lol. Learnt a new word today. So people with trypophohia can’t wear sweaters?