Is Taiwan like Tattoine?

I want to know something.

Why is it that almost every commercial offerings, trade agreements, programs, etc. almost always exclude Taiwan? Like sometimes almost all other countries in the region is included but not Taiwan.

I mean stuff like Google stadia, various music/video services (until very recently), various free global shipping programs (such as Amazon prime-like services), various trade agreements between countries, etc.

Is it because China tells everyone to exclude Taiwan or else, or is it something else? Or do people look at Taiwan like Tattoine? You know lawless slaver desert where people farm water for a living?

Because everyone else seems to bend over backwards for China while talking about all the human rights stuff they do.

Yes. Simple as.

3 Likes

So China tells Google to exclude Taiwan of its services as much as possible and they just oblige?

1 Like

Which commercial offerings and programmes exclude Taiwan?

no. PRC tells them to include Taiwan.

Taiwan also has duties and regulations that need to be addressed. It might just be that the protections that the small businesses have here actually negatively affect you.

Kind of, yes.

For instance I used to work for an independent Taiwan operation . Then it became Greater China organisation . That’s due to the pressure from Chinese government on the organisation (when I asked ) as it made no sense in any financial or logistical form.

1 Like

Taiwan has really strict financial regulations that hurt doing business in Taiwan. They should really change it. Fintech doesn’t come to Taiwan because of this.

1 Like

So is this why salaries in Taiwan are so low and there’s no real career paths in Taiwan?

They aren’t low in Hsinchu or Neihu. They also have a career path. Depends what you do doesn’t it.

Well everyone can’t all work for TSMC.

If big tech company is the be all end all for career paths in Taiwan, then it really sucks.

The only place in Taiwan that’s like Tattoine.

d4042909

4 Likes

It’s not actually the only place. There’s at least three places that look like that, including bubbling mud pools even one that is red too…I know …TMI

Ahh, the good old days when Taiwan was really Tattonine and not encumbered by international laws and agreements. It basically named its own terms.
I was into teaching and media consumption, CDs, tapes and books, the internet was a luxury.
Many English books were cheap, locally printed and had the words…“Licensed for sale in TAIWAN only.”
The same held true for music as well. You could go into a high end department store and pick a 100NT Anime Music CD produced by SonMay, Taiwan and Licensed for sale in Taiwan only sitting right next to the original Japanese CD selling for 450+ NTD.
It was my understanding from what I was told that Taiwan wasn’t subject to copyright laws, not being a country and all,
Allowing local publishers to basically tell the copyright owners to take what they were willing to pay or get nothing.
There were motorcycle software stores too.
You would approach a table that had loose-leaf notebooks on it. In the notebooks were pages of software titles and prices.
You’d simply fill out a for, leave it in a box on the table along with the money and take a walk. When your back was turned, some guys sitting on motorcycle would run over and exchange your money for the product .
Other things like rice wine was cheap.
I remember when Taiwan the price was about to go up dramatically, my family stocked up. It was the key ingredient to the best chicken noodle soup I ever tasted.
To tell you the truth, it seems like in every international agreement Taiwan signed on to from the good old day to now, she always gets the short end of the stick causing the Taiwan people to pay more and loose status.

The good old days were pretty wild ? What you describe was a developing country, it’s just an inevitable progression . When Taiwan signed up for the WTO they had to ditch a lot of the old ways they did things. They used to have a lot of bad things too like gangsters running amok, kidnapping and human trafficking.
All in all Taiwanese are more prosperous than ever, people have health insurance , labour insurance, better environmental protection , foreign holidays it took a whole for the country to adjust though and of course incomes took a dive for a long time (that was the worst bit )

I do feel that Taiwan has got a lot more boring though .

Taiwan losing status , it’s 90 per cent China… You are dealing with a global superpower here second only to the US. Also Taiwan hasn’t lost status in every way.

Stadia has nothing to do with China. The list of supported countries is very small right now. I believe there aren’t any Asian countries in the list.

Same with prime, only 17 countries have prime.

Trade agreements excluding Taiwan is almost completely China’s fault though.

I don’t use Prime.

Taiwan is more like Naboo, where most people behave like Jar Jar Binks.

1 Like

I feel like Taiwan is like coursant but treated by tattooine.