Is Taiwan racist?

Reality tells us you are wrong.
How many new citizens in China per year , especially of none Chinese ancestry ?

Now look at practically any western country big or small and see how many new immigrants and citizens they have every year.

Do you want to see the figures for Taiwan ? Almost all immigrants are from just two or three Asian countries and 90% of them are female!

3 Likes

Although I agree with you that Asian countries are usually pretty nationalistic, I’m not sure that always equates with racism. At least not the real malicious I want to hang you kind.

And I don’t feel like the number of immigrants shows racism either, a lot of other factors involved. Nationalism yes.

1 Like

According to the Migration Policy Institute, the Chinese government’s stated goal for their immigration policy is to promote economic development and national security, while maintaining “social stability.” These goals have led China to discourage migrants who were not of Chinese ethnic origin, and to only grant permanent status to people without Chinese ethnic backgrounds if they are important business or scientific leaders, or have made “outstanding contributions” to China. Under these rules, only about 10,000 foreigners have been granted the Chinese “green cards,” which allow permanent stay.

1 Like

Notice that the above policy is similar for Taiwan, but for dual holding passports not for green cards (so Taiwan is a lot better of course but it has a similar racial tinge , you can get in without the right bloodline but only if you are ‘special’).

Are any of you familiar with the whites favoured policy in Australia ? They didn’t call it whites only or anti Asian…But they put so many institutional and origin obstacles in that it was almost impossible for Asians to migrate to Australia . It was a racist policy. In fact the Japanese highly resented it and it was one of the factors that made them think Westerners were holding the back.

Asian countries have similar policies in 2018, in particular China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan. Taiwan, Korea and Japan are however progressively changing the policy due to economic and demographic concerns , China…The most populous nation by far …no.

1 Like

Do you say western countries accept more immigrants, so less racist?

I agree if your claim is Asian countries are more xenophobic and may be more discriminatory in some aspect than western countries, though don’t think they are more racist.

If they were more racist they wouldn’t let in millions of Asians would they and give them equal rights no matter their ‘bloodline’.

Proof is in the pudding.

1 Like

I moved this here because it’s no longer about how to communicate with a prosecutor. I almost temped it because of the nasty vein early on, but I think there’s an interesting discussion here worth having. Please be civil, everyone. :slight_smile: :peace_symbol:

1 Like

Whites only policy Australia (discontinued 1958).

Similar to many Asian countries today.

1 Like

Ive lived in Kaohsiung before and it’s pretty provincial for a city.
I had my bag with wallet stolen off my motorbike once and the cops said to just write my name on a piece of paper and they’d call me if it was turned in, they refused to make a report or check the cameras even though it was a drive by grab from a scooter hoon. The cops will do the least possible work to get through the day. (Generally speaking as I’ve met some diligent cops there but by and large.)

In Kaohsiung a cop may be there trying to flag scooters over for a traffic violation and 80% or more won’t even stop or take evasive measures to swerve around the cop than keep going. Do the cops give chase? Hell no, too much work.
I wouldn’t dare try that in Taipei or taichung, you’d be chased down and shot

2 Likes

I don’t think the countries immigration policy always reflects how racist the population in general is. Just because they let you in doesn’t mean they won’t be racist towards you after. And the country policies on immigration may not always represent how the general population feels about it.

4 Likes

They may not be an exact reflection of localised racism but they are a broad reflection of the society, governments being voted in by the populace.

1 Like

Two kinds of people I cant stand: Racists, and Asians

I just want to point out that’s actually a very nice area. -Fellow Kaohsiung guy

Note to OP: your wife probably doesn’t enjoy being blamed for your current state of unhappiness in life.

3 Likes

they could let in millions of Asians, Africans, Hispanics, or whatever and give them equal rights as citizens no matter how much they are racist.

I think many of discrimination in Asian societies against Caucasians might be due to xenophobia, and many of discrimination in western societies might be due to racism.

This is hilarious if you haven’t seen it before

3 Likes

ok, my bad. it sounded like you were in some backwater village, didn’t realise you were in the middle of gaoshiung. the gangster thing is pretty lame i think anyone would have a right to be pissed over some thug trying to steal your money. why did you agree to have a meeting with them at all? maybe next time just let the police deal with it from the start and don’t entertain the thugs, at all. you could learn something from the experience.

you sound kinda bitter towards taiwan too. if you are going to live here its not a healthy mindset. being really confrontational doesn’t jive with the locals. pick up on the locals behaviors and adjust and you will have a better time.

I’m not talking about discrimination against Caucasians , it’s a general racism applied to all other races outside the perceived monoethnic groups…so China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan…

So you’ll see horrible racism against ethnic Koreans in Japan for example.

In some cases Caucasians can get some positive discrimination (English teaching ) but mostly it’s a negative especially in the media and institutionally.

In Taiwan I think institutionally things are getting better in terms of equality (long way to go though ) but in society the media and social media seems to have more and more negative views on the few westerns that are here . As for SE Asians …

1 Like

Your statements are somehow contradictory.

1 Like

Many Taiwanese are racist (even towards white folk), but it is very subtle and most don’t notice it.

Obvious racism is really only visible towards darker skinned foreigners. I have friends who have had their cars egged, property damaged, etc. It is a real problem that Taiwan doesn’t want to address yet.

It’s not unbearable, but some days are worse than others and I think there are times we all want to say “fuck Taiwan”. This island is a great place, but those who say it’s an expat paradise are just deluded.

3 Likes

they are all east Asian countries, and Asia contains more countries.

then, is it worse than racism against Turckish people in Germany, Polish people in UK, non-Caucasians in US, Islamic people in western societies, etc?