Is Taiwan racist?

he is a Taiwanese, and he is talking on taiwanese people, so used “we”. Is it funny?

Yes it’s funny because he is half Korean, spent a lot of time in AMERICA , probably American too and now he is moving to Malaysia.

So yeah FUNNY.

If he was born before 1980 I suppose you would be shiting on that he is not Taiwanese just because he doesn’t have a passport.

my stance on that is taiwan should give them nationality equally.

this means it is funny if any foreign kids, especially of mixed family, living here for long term, use “we” when they talk on there countries where they got nationality through their parents.

Ah, now I see. It may be funny.

Well pick and choose right. My kids can do that but I can’t just because of some stupid legal resteictions.
That’s why I think the usage of ‘we’ is kind of ridiculous.

Actually I have briefly been a Taiwanese national but abandoned it due to travel and dual citizenship restriction issues.
But I could always apply again and then I would be ‘we’ again.

alright, let’s all join together and sing…

We Are The World

1 Like

Got it.

So, the consensus is when people interact with officers, the possibility to be shot by police is same regardless of their races. It may be same between the races in both of “high-risk encounters” or something like a routine traffic stop. But, due to the higher criminal rate of non-white people, the rate of non-white people to interact with police per total population size is higher than that of white people, hence the rate to be shot per total population size is higher.

Because criminal rate of white people is lower, police don’t check them as often as they do people with higher criminal rates, and respect whites more.

It may be logical to pick up people belonging to groups with higher criminal rates for something like a random routine traffic stop and check,and not racism or prejudice.

Traffic Stops

I don’t see why we is ridiculous. I grew up as a kid here and spent more than half my life here. And even when I was gone I would have came a couple times a year to visit.

Fair enough if you have the passport I guess . I don’t instinctively react well to ‘we’ statements.

How about discrimination towards SE Asians? Black teachers etc?

1 Like

As I made it clear in my older post, I’m not saying Taiwan is not or less racist or discriminatory.

The contents of the thread may be somehow related with this thread.

In what way?

Feel I have to say something on this topic as a white man dating a SEA woman in Taiwan. Firstly, I’m sorry to say it but yes there is massive discrimination towards SEA people here. I’m not well versed enough in Taiwanese culture and history to pinpoint why that is the case but I like to just chalk it down to good old ignorance. That and maybe they just like to look down on people who are less fortunate than them.

Think you get looks as a white guy dating a local? Multiply that by 10 for my situation. Now granted, I’m lucky enough to be dating a very pretty woman and I’m not bad to look at myself, but the looks are unpleasant. We encounter constant smirks when going out together. We’ve seen fingers pointed in our direction on the bus, the subway and in the street. We’ve seen scooter drivers nearly break their neck as they desperately turn around upon passing us to confirm that, yes, a white man can date a darker skinned woman. I’ve even had a few very rude local people ask me why " a handsome guy like you would date a SEA woman?" As if I’ve somehow broken an unspoken rule that foreigners must date locals upon moving here.

I swear, they complain when we do date their women and then get offended when we don’t. I have to laugh sometimes that it is so difficult to imagine that a man can like a woman not for her nationality but who she is. Whether she is Taiwanese, African or a bloody Martian shouldn’t really matter in this day and age. I thought that kind of stuff was in the olden days of Martin Luther King. But in Taiwan I’ve sadly seen the dark side of the country.

I’m not trying to be dramatic but like all places there is a dirty underbelly of you look closely and I’ve witnessed it first hand on many occasions.

A student (I’m a teacher) once called an Indonesian/Taiwanese child a “nigger” because of the color of his skin. Another 17 year old girl lambasted how “all the smelly south east asians hang around at the Train station on Sunday” I asked “Why do you say they’re smelly?” She answered “My friend told me so.” Classic.

My gf can speak Chinese but if she tries to buy something online the Taiwanese person will say it’s sold or just block her on FB. If I message that same person then I practically have the item and the girl is trying to give me her line and basically bending over backwards for me. Why is that ok?

I once tried to help her open a new bank account. We went together to my bank and I chose it because it was such a seamless and easy process for me when I went there. The worker there even spoke English to me which made the process fly by. Well we arrived and she had all the documents and things she needed. Out came the woman who even spoke English with me last time… What luck! Man was I wrong… She didn’t speak a word of English this time, not to me not to my gf. It was clear she didn’t want my gf as a customer. She had a source look on her face and just used Google translate even though my gf could speak Chinese. The Google translate said as follows: we cannot open an account for you here please go to another bank.

I was fuming… That was not even a genuine excuse. Just a flat out refusal. But for me the white guy they did it in 5 minutes no trouble. It was then that it really sank in how sad and pathetic this racist treatment towards SEA people actually extended.

Tando says that the article where an Indonesian abused an old patient in her care has something to do with it? It absolutely doesn’t. All that does is give the local people an even bigger stick to beat the poor SEA people with. Read any of the newspapers and you’ll see just trash talking about SEA people. Such as how Taiwan is planning on limiting the amount of visa free visits Thai and Filipinos are allowed per year because Taiwanese think they are working in the sex industry. That’s painting a huge number of people with one brush right there. Ridiculous. Whenever someone tells me Taiwan is friendly to foreigners it makes me flat out laugh.

A white man can live like a king here if he so wishes. I’ve dated local women here and there’s nothing wrong with them I think, initially…then they’ll go and ruin it all by calling a black person a monkey or a dark skinned person dirty etc. Then I turn around look at this good looking girl who I was thinking well of just a few moments prior to those comments and say, “It’s not me, it’s you. Find a new guy. One that matches your nasty soul.”

I know there are a few open minded people in Taiwan for sure but they are so damn hard to find. Living in Taiwan has made me realize how much I enjoy living in a multicultural society back home and how lucky I was to receive my education in Europe. Its not perfect sure, but at least we are more accepting of others. Taiwan has many many years to go before they can claim they same thing.

13 Likes

racism and discrimination are talked on.

@johnwick, yes, taiwanese people express their racism and discrimination more openly than westerners, which might be due to their history, culture, structure of society etc, and many of those behaviours may not be accepted in western societies.

Though, I think westerners are as racist covertly, and in some cases as openly or in more violent ways.

And I think some of discriminations that westerners claim as examples of racism may not be due to racism.

1 Like

But the question is if Taiwan is racist on this thread? You are the one saying I’m racist in there.

I didn’t say the two threads are talking on the same thing. Just said somehow related.

Not the only one.
And what’s your point then??

How are they related? One topic is about an Indonesian care giver that abuses the old man and the other is about is taiwan racist.

Yes, the OP is on the incident, but in the later half of the thread, we talked on racism and discrimination, in my understanding.

One topic is about an Indonesian care giver that abuses (an) old man in which one poster made blatantly racist comments, and the other is about is taiwan racist (sic).