Is Taiwan still the land of opportunities?

Relevance?

Looks like one of those university rankings no one ever reads.

In addition to everything you mentioned it doesnā€™t help that Taiwan doesnā€™t really welcome foreign professionals. Up to lately professional exams were only in Chinese. And the majority of companies have no Westerners working there, and have no interest in hiring Westerners, even major Taiwanese conglomerates compared to Singapore and Hong Kong.

There is a reason that itā€™s become a trope that ā€œare you engrish teecha?ā€ Is the number one assumption when they see a western foreigner. Because there are very few opportunities here to progress. If someone stays in Taiwan they do it because of family or they just really like the lifestyle here.

1 Like

Thatā€™s cuz your school probably sucks. I check my collegeā€™s rankings constantly.

Just accept that Taiwan was a land of economic opportunities in the 1980s. Its not that hard to swallow. And China is still a land of opportunity even today.

No, its not.
Yes, it is.
No, its not.
Yes, it is.

These guysā€”who have a much better idea of whatā€™s happening on the ground in the PRC than perhaps any current forumosanā€”think otherwise:

Even if you donā€™t agree with their take on China, itā€™s a treat to watch them driving around in Nantou!

Guy

Taiwan is a great place to live.

Iā€™m very familiar with their videos and donā€™t necessarily disagree. But Iā€™m talking about opportunity for local Chinese people, not for foreigners. Which I realise may not be relevant on this forum.

Itā€™s more about how much space you have. Taiwan, HK and Singapore have no space so cars are taxed to high Heaven. On the other hand my family has 4 cars for 5 people. Mainly because you need one to get anywhere. Australiaā€™s public transport is shite but at least in part because of population density - it wouldnā€™t be economical to build the kind of things Taiwan has.

From a business opportunities perspective though Iā€™d take the former.

If apple reduces their manufacturing by 10% it will have a big impact on Taiwan economy, most of its billionaires is because they manufacture iphones.

Truly, honestly?
Your life revolves around your school rankings?
bahahahaha

Blahblahblahblahblah

Fortune favors the bold. It becomes less ā€œopportunisticā€ as a country develops and most demands are met. Thereā€™s a lot of money for those who are still innovative and able to find markets others have not, but itā€™s harder as people have become more educated and have more access. And already established markets will become saturated and go through cycles of firms opening and firms going under as others compete better.

26 years ago when I was born. My father worked for one of the largest tech companies still today. No degree, just a trade school. Sold his car, used all his saving and ask family for money to start making LEDs and founded a company with a few others that actually competed with the company he left as a lowly engineer. Which at the time was only used for things like the front of the remote on TVs, not even the TVs yet. Basically made no money with the tech not catching up for another decade at least. Fortune favors the bold. He worked 80 hour weeks plus some out drinking and golfing and traveling. What do people think opportunities are, hand outs? Are you capable of net working? Making connections? Think of new ideas? Try and risk new things? If youā€™re idea of good opportunity is graduating and getting a 6 figure job, no. Those days are gone for most more people.

3 Likes

Not not really.

Koreaā€™s every bit as dense as Taiwan is. They donā€™t ride scooters because itā€™s cold.

This is true. We were a dragon because we were the only full country of Chinese culture that went along totally with western everything, and we gave no shits about our environment. Like brian Says, we are paying for it to this day. Ironically the flip side is we are able to pay for it to this day. But funds are dwindling and being made up for in terrible ways.

That doesnā€™t make any sense. What fund is dwindling? Taiwan has a very low debt rate and runs a balanced budget.

I came to Taiwan when people randomly threw trash in piles on street corners in neighborhoods for trash trucks to come to pick it up. Now Taiwan recycles better than Americans.

Taiwan has gotten way cleaner than most nations on the individual end of the spectrum.

I agree. But not a high bar. Individully I agree. Though outside of northern cities, garbage piles are still burned and recycled goods generally tend to be those of weight that people can sellā€¦ soft plastics, straws etc are often just forgotten. But I totally agree the gov has been stepping up the last years on plastics, personal emissions etc.

One issue though is recent events, as in last couple years. As before with say the leather tanning industry (as an example) they got kicked out. They went south or out of country. The man who did quite a lot to do all that got arrested by maā€¦) With all Chinas personal issues, now a lot of industry is coming back. This makes me.feel, and I could be wrong, that Taiwan as a whole didnā€™t clean up the last 20 years based on principle. It based on cheap labor and lax laws overseas. Now, the laws are stricter in China and as for environmental policy and cost of business many factories are leaving (this started before trumps thing). Though Taiwan isnā€™t the main recipient of Chinese refugee factories, we get a lot, and more to come. One of the failures of thae gov here I feel as far as the pollution aspect goes. So thatā€™s the angle Iā€™m coming from. Not so much if individuals use plastic or glass straws kind of angle.

Yeah Iā€™m sure the weather is a factor but I wouldnā€™t say Korea is as densely population as Taiwan

Itā€™s pretty close. Koreaā€™s population density is 515/km, Taiwan is 651/km, the Netherlands is 416/km. However, Taiwan is by far the most mountainous of the 3 so in the end itā€™s much more of a clusterfuck.

And Korea sure has worse air pollution. You guys should try Korea next time you complain about the pollution in Taiwan.

Seoul past month

Taipei past month