Is Taiwan the land of the Nerds?

A thought that entered my mind when I moved here 2.5 years ago. This place is the kingdom of the nerds.

Nothing but sickly children, computers, passive aggressive/ twisted behaviour/ witch craft diets (which people think might give them powers and hence actually might make them cool so others will bow to there nerdlymess.

Sometimes I feel that all posses the same unique qualities of the biggest nerds I’ve known in High school. Which is why they want to higher me. Finally the nerd can boss around the bully in his kingdom and envirnment of nerdlyness and we are at his mercy. ie No friends at work, we have to be interesed in all the silly tech upgrades, so we feel like the nerd in this Island where Nerds have found their niche.

I feel all the geeks dweebs and hoosers I knew in High school would giz there pants if they knew about Taiwan. A nerd paradise

Really? Were you a bully were you? Besides I didn’t think Scotland had any nerds… u know banished them south of the border or turned them into bagpipes… ARGHHH!

For us engineers this place is awesome… suddenly those mismatched socks are a fashion statement, cycling friends can wear … u know “bike pants” without the fear of getting beaten up. My sickly pale skin is “hen piaoliang!”

So… I think in a way you are right about it being nerd heaven… regardless of this fact nerds are far better company than bullies…

Yeah. I think one of the things I dig about this place is that guys don’t feel the need to act all stupid and macho.
It is not hard to find an intelligent conversation about politics, literature, ect.

Yeh, but actually, I find that whilst the locals do have a lot of nerdish characteristics, they often have the ignorance of jocks!

Revenge Of The Nerds: Part XVI:
Taiwan: “There It Is…”

And it’s about damn time, too.

I have no problem with Nerds. As a chap who looks, and often talks, like a character outta the series “My Name Is Earl”, I understand the value of NOT surrendering to the Void.

The Best thing about TW (apart from low taxes), is that nobody really gives a shite about personal apperances. One can “stumble down the stairs to greet the day in one’s cleanest dirty shirt” and no-one will think twice about it. Here one can go shopping without facing the remorseless stares & insipid gossip of the fashion nazis.

The only problem I have with Nerdiness in TW, is trying to get the grandfolks to let the boy wear his pants low, instead of hiked up to a closet wedgie position.

Them nuts gotta breathe, right?
Same for the Nerds. :slight_smile:

We are not hanging out with the same people, that’s for sure.

I knew it … I’m the only non-nerd, non-bully in Taiwan … although, makes chewing binlang you a nerd? Neeh … that’s the bully food.

We are not hanging out with the same people, that’s for sure.[/quote]

You need to get out of Taipei and see the real Taiwan. Living there is like living in a bubble.

snydewynder is the biggest nerd of them all…But he’s awesome at the bagpipes…so that makes up for his nerdiness.

Carlos

You need to get out of Taipei and see the real Taiwan. Living there is like living in a bubble.[/quote]

I agree with Mod lang here SAF. My guess is that you within a fairly confined group that is certainly not representative of the general Taiwanese population…

[quote=“cdnmagic”]snydewynder is…awesome at the bagpipes…

Carlos[/quote]
I can vouch for that!

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Really? Were you a bully were you? Besides I didn’t think Scotland had any nerds… u know banished them south of the border or turned them into bagpipes… ARGHHH!

…[/quote]

No I wasn’t a bully more of a hick with a red neck… which is why i feel i fit right in with the Taiwan country folk. Its just i feel that Taiwan is an over excessive nerdy place. to the point of fanaticism where else do people die of over exposure to computers, have an obsession with cute kitties talk about there high school classmates all their life (not their friends their classmates)…

plus have you scene all they silly clubs they have at the universities, my favorite being dance club oh yeah shake it girls

Here we go again… Where’s the popcorn and Tainan Cowboy to eat it with me.

Chewy hasn’t watched Revenge of the Nerds – Part I since the late 80s.

From my recollection though, wasn’t there a Chinese peeping-tom nerdy character that would always run around yelling “hair pie”? I thought he was one of the funniest characters in that movie!!! The sex-crazed overseas student stereotype in reverse.

I can’t understand why they would want to “higher” you though. :unamused:

I guess so that they can “lower” him later…

Are you sure why you weren’t highered.

Looks like they are re-making the movie

edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Mov … index.html

I think Lien Chan’s son should be in it.

I hate to say it, but the OP is right, this island is filled with the geekiest, nerdiest people I could have ever imagined…down to the clothing, the way people speak and act, what they do for fun (sleep, play computer games, go shopping)…it’s like living in a nation of the Borg, consumed by being as geeky as possible. It makes me nuts. I can’t wait to get to Aus and meet people who have something about them.

Sorry, I am just REALLY ready to leave Taiwan…can you tell? :help: