Is 'Taiwanese' a countable demonym?

Stop at the bottle-o this arvo to buy a slab for the barbie. Bring your, esky, bathers, and thongs cos we’re heading out after.
You’re driving, my car has carked it. There better not be any derros.

English, like any language, varies :blush:

2 Likes

Are we taking the blue truck?

2 Likes

If just the 5 of us, a scooter should suffice

4 Likes

I thought we’d sing Karaoke on the bus

I thought we were each a Taiwanese. That sounds Filipino AF.

Really? I’ve never been to the Philippines but I’ve done this in Taiwan more than once😅

FIFY

3 Likes

I love how the thread descends into a grammar discussion after the USA bit was excised.

Personally “a Taiwanese”, “a Chinese”, “a British”, “a French” all sound super weird to me and I would assume the person saying this is not a native speaker. I would only ever say “a Taiwanese person” or “a French person”.

“a Canadian”, “an American”, “an African” do sound natural.

But maybe that’s just me not knowing my own language all that well :sweat_smile: living in both Canada and England seems to have fucked up my English.

1 Like

That sounds like what everyone, each a Filipino, would do on a bus in The Philippines.

I agree it’s clunky. But I disagree that it’s incorrect.

Is this why you blame Canada?

3 Likes

Oh do they crank up the chabuduo to 11 on Philippine public transit.

I’ve seen people sing KTV. I’ve seen them play Family Feud on TV. All while the driver’s assistant hangs out the side of the bus while moving to scream at random people he sees on the sidewalk to come into the bus.

1 Like

Exactly. I’d mostly try to avoid it, but it’s not wrong.

4 Likes

He used to be, but now that he’s a local he has to play the part

2 Likes

It is interesting how some of them function as adjectives and nouns, and others only as adjectives. I wonder where that comes from? Pronunciation?

Why is that? Why do Taiwanese students love the word ‘seldom’ so much? I seldom use the word ‘seldom’. It sounds a bit too formal for more liking. Another overused word that they use constantly is ‘convenient’ , but I can understand that one, living in Taipei.

In the states a chicken burger would mean there’s a minced chicken patty. I’ve heard it being used as an example of bad English usage by Taiwanese hundreds of times, meanwhile they’re are ignorant of the fact that there are other English speakers in the world besides Americans and almost all of them use it just like Taiwanese would use it.

I hear chicken burger and I assume a crumbed and fried piece of chicken…

Interesting

1 Like

For more on this fascinating off topic, check out this thread

2 Likes

As the mod of that thread, I approve of the shameless self-plug.

3 Likes

Me too. I have - for example - never heard any one in my entire life use ‘a British’ to refer to a British person. People either say a British + noun or if you want a one word way its ‘a Briton’. for Polish it would be ‘a Polish ______’ or ‘a Pole’, For Icelandic it would be ‘an Icelandic ______’ or an Icelander. etc

1 Like