Is Taiwan's NHI a "single payer" system? How does NHI compare with Obamacare, generally?

I’ve been here so long I have no idea what it’s like to live under Obamacare.

*Edit: and I’m unsure what “single payer” means in this context, or other similar terms.

BTW, I wasn’t sure of the right forum for a factual question with possible healthcare and international political connotations. Mods, please feel free to move at your pleasure!

Taiwan NHI payment is done similar to the medicare system in US. Government takes care of the payment, therefore they are the single payer. Obamacare, or ACA, payments are made by insurance companies and there are many. So to sign up, you need to pick a plan that is sold by an insurance company.

Obamacare is not single payer. It is a requirement that health care providers provide at a minimum, certain health care services to be considered compliant.

Under Obamacare, you buy a healthcare plan from an insurance provider. Nobody can be denied coverage, but the cost may go up compared to pre-obamacare. In Taiwan, your salary is taxed at a certain percentage depending on your income level and certain things are not covered. With Obamacare, you are required to have a plan. You can buy one or get one one through your employer. If you get your healthcare coverage through your employer, the plans offered by employers are required to be compliant. You are still required to have deductibles when going to the doctor. People I know back home complain about the deductibles being too high for Obamacare to be of much use.

Some people complain about the cost. There are subsides available for certain income levels. And the IRS will fine you if you don’t have it. Many people choose to not buy insurance because the fine is much cheaper.
You can get an exemption if you live outside the USA for 330 days each year or have coverage that meets the standards.

I don’t think it’s possible to buy a non-compliant healthcare plan any more. But I’m not 100% certain about that part.

I’m guessing OP is a US citizen who doesn’t file US taxes. You are required to file and declare your insurance coverage or exemption if you are a US citizen. i think the IRS will fine you if you don’t.