Is terrorism being fuelled by bad policies?

The truth is that both Stephen Harper and Osama bin Laden are extremist liars, using half-truths and oversimplifications to feed off the grievances of their uncommitted majorities and deceive them into joining their true cause: religious war to the death in the Middle East.

[url=http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006%5C06%5C04%5Cstory_4-6-2006_pg7_8]"The flow of young Muslim men from western Europe to Iraq has increased dramatically in the past two years. The “pipeline” of suspected terrorists is being fuelled by growing resentment about American and British policy and scandals such as the mistreatment of inmates at the Abu Ghraib prison.

A senior security source, confirming that between 120 and 150 Britons had travelled to Iraq, said there was concern that the flow was increasing: “The really worrying thing is that this has become a movement that people believe in. It’s not simply a matter of them joining a terrorist organisation.” [/url]

Neither really wants to understand and solve the reasons behind those grievances and bring peace to the world or they wouldn’t continue to peddle their shared inanity that willfully ignorant patriotism or religious faith are anything other than the quickest paths to national ruin.

“Peace to the world?”
Impossible, even without OBL and The current Prime Minister Of Canada.

“Shared inanity”?
Both produce their own version of events for their own politcal purposes.

“willfully ignorant patriotism”
That’s such a broad topic, it deserves another thread.

Myself, I would posit that patriotism is a manufactured image, far from the grunts on the ground

Instead of “core Warrior Values”, the troops should be taught the basic tenets of Sharia law.
That, and take the Marines out. Those trained killers are better served in Afganistan.

Sharia must be resisted at all costs.

Oh my God, Spook, you are so right. 120 to 150 Britons going to Iraq. My goodness, a “pipeline.” That will surely reverse the millions that are heading from Muslim nations to Europe and the West.

Clearly, these terrorist attacks are not a surprise. For years, Canada has failed to meet its Kyoto Protocol targets and has gone against world opinion to allow the slaughter of baby seals. Clearly, it is a wake-up call to the Canadian government that its wanton unilateralism will no longer be tolerated. Clearly, the Canadians have brought this upon themselves. Besides, all of this flag stuff on their backpacks and such is symptomatic of their excessive nationalism.

[quote=“fred smith”]Oh my God, Spook, you are so right. 120 to 150 Britons going to Iraq. My goodness, a “pipeline.” That will surely reverse the millions that are heading from Muslim nations to Europe and the West.

Clearly, these terrorist attacks are not a surprise. For years, Canada has failed to meet its Kyoto Protocol targets and has gone against world opinion to allow the slaughter of baby seals. Clearly, it is a wake-up call to the Canadian government that its wanton unilateralism will no longer be tolerated. Clearly, the Canadians have brought this upon themselves. Besides, all of this flag stuff on their backpacks and such is symptomatic of their excessive nationalism.[/quote]

Fred, you’re just using your superior intellect to pick on me now. What’s your take on Prime Minister Harper’s explanation of the reason behind Canadian Muslims targeting their fellow citizens? Do you think he hits the nail on the head with his assessment?

120-150 Britons volunteering to go to Iraq to fight because they believe in their cause . . . You’ve got to admit that’s probably more than the number of Britons currently volunteering to go to Iraq out of conviction to fight for the “other side.”

Last I checked not only was my intellect “superior” but so were my facts. Currently, 8,000 Britons are fighting in Iraq. That would compare with 150 at the top end of your estimation for a difference of …

53.3 times greater for the “right” side as opposed to the terrorists…

Back to you hehe hehe

[quote=“fred smith”]Last I checked not only was my intellect “superior” but so were my facts. Currently, 8,000 Britons are fighting in Iraq. That would compare with 150 at the top end of your estimation for a difference of …

53.3 times greater for the “right” side as opposed to the terrorists…

Back to you hehe hehe[/quote]

Are you ignoring my question about the accuracy of Harper’s assessment of the reason behind domestic terrorism or did you just miss it when you were reading my post?

I agree with spook. I think Iran’s bad policies are fueling terrorism.

Well, aside from your collectively superior intellects, “you guys” certainly have another big advantage over me in the fact department as well. You can make up the ones you need as you go along but I can’t because our motivations are fundamentally different.

Forget the Harper question. We’ll just chalk that one up to being an article of faith.

That’s okay spook. We will give you some latitude for your grievous errors and poorly formed arguments. It is after all Monday.

How come no one made a funny quip about my Iran post?

I’m feeling left out here gents. :frowning:

[quote=“jdsmith”]How come no one made a funny quip about my Iran post?

I’m feeling left out here gents. :frowning:[/quote]

JD, you’re doing good. I’m just saving my best Iran quips till after you guys pound Iran back into the Bronze Age for violating all the UN resolutions against being uppity camel jockeys.

[quote=“spook”][quote=“jdsmith”]How come no one made a funny quip about my Iran post?

I’m feeling left out here gents. :frowning:[/quote]

JD, you’re doing good. I’m just saving my best Iran quips till after you guys pound Iran back into the Bronze Age for violating all the UN resolutions against being uppity camel jockeys.[/quote]

There’s a good article in the Economist from May 6th about Iran. Juicier carrots and harsher punishments was the gist of it. Good read.