Is the Bible anti-gay?

I didn’t know that in trying to clarify some details regarding a personnel situation and Morrison’s reputation would end up with this great conversation. As a heterosexual male I don’t think it’s really fair that I should comment only what I think because that’s only one side of the story. I listen to a band Tim be Told who’s a Christian musical artist who has come out as gay. He wrote an article to his fans regarding his sexuality and I think this is the best point of view I have read on the issue. It’s a bit long but if you’re genuinely curious about what a openly gay Christian thinks about the Bible and its perspective on homosexuality I hope you all find it as meaningful as I did.

1 Like

Maybe if it ended in a shotgun marriage. Otherwise, I think not.

I think Jesus would probably rip Moore a new one if he came back. Jesus did get super angry at “religious” leaders and people in his time. He had strong warning of people who claim faith and leads peopl astray like Moore.

https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/www.biblegateway.com/passage/%3Fsearch=Matthew+23&version=NLT&interface=amp

Well I guess if you is Christian then you believe God made you to do his will. And if God made you as a man who loves other men (or a woman who loves other women) then he must not have a problem with that. Pretty simple really.

And for people who adopt that common sense approach, they get to live a life so much happier than walking round thinking they’re doomed to eternal hellfire for sins of perversion.

But nobody would believe that. Seriously, what are the odds?

This is right for me. How would Jesus not support love? If people are going to place Jesus as the truth then they will need to provide evidence that he hated gays. Also, isn’t it the sin that’s supposed to be the issue not the sinner? I can’t see how anyone can claim a love of some figure called Jesus and then hate people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHSPI7ZkRk

I’m not going to tell you because it would get temped again and it would be pointless.

Seriously? Do you not live in the real world? This is more than a little naive.

Christ on a bike. OK, I can’t see how anyone can claim a love of some figure called Jesus and then justify hating people.

That’s assuming that God created sin. God created man, correct. However, God did not create sin. Sin at its core is separation from God.

“But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.” - Isaiah 59:2

If the interpretation of the Bible is that homosexuality is a sin, then God did not create homosexuality. Sin is mans choice to become separated from God by violating his laws.

You’re right in that God originally created man to do his will, and that was to worship and glorify Him. However He also created us with free-will, or choice for a lack of better terms. We, Christians, believe that we are given free will to live our lives as we want. God doesn’t force us to “do his will” because he gives us the ability to choose how we want to live our lives. He does not force us to be sinful, that is our personal choice
I’m not the authority on whether you can be a gay Christian or not. But I believe that homosexuality is a sin as many have pointed out above through Biblical text. The beauty is that God doesn’t have a tier list of which sin is worse than another. Sin is anything less than 100%. A man who is 99.99999999% good still isn’t perfect. Anything less than perfection is by definition imperfection, and God cannot deal with imperfection as a perfect God. Anyone who cheats, lies, steals, or anything against God’s word is sinful, making them less than perfect.

I am just as sinful, and broken, in God’s eye as someone who told a white lie. Thus the need for a perfect Savior, Jesus, to take our place in God’s eyes is required. I would never say that someone who claims to be gay as “more sinful” than myself, because that simply is not true. God loves the gay man just as much as He loves me and that’s what I strive to emulate everyday. It’s what Christians should strive to live for, to be like Christ. Jesus loves those to are homosexual no more and no less than those who are heterosexual.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that there is a distinction between more and less serious sins, but it seems the concept of “mortal sin” is a Catholic thing, so I guess it depends on what brand of Christianity you subscribe to.

1 Like

It’s called human nature. People can literally rationalize anything.

1 Like

I think it all depends on your interpretation of what “sin” is. Catholicism and born-again branches of Christianity probably do disagree on that point.

I don’t think God has a list in His notebook that he ranks how sinful a person is. I say this because the Jesus of the Bible forgave murders and rapist just the same as He forgave tax collectors and even those who followed Old Testament law to near perfection. Thus if He grants grace and mercy to anyone who is willing to believe in Him, there is not “more and less serious sin”. This is all my personal opinion of course.

But I think that the disagreement regarding the level of sin should always be second to the fact that God forgives. Christians, me included, get so caught up in arguing the details that we forget that Jesus calls us to love Him, and our neighbors, just as He did: above everything else. The importance of the Gospel is that Jesus died in our place, when we didn’t deserve it, so that we can have eternal life. Anything other than that should always be secondary.

2 Likes

Right, I can’t see how anyone can claim a love of some figure called Jesus and then justify to other people who don’t share their beliefs why they hate people.

How’s that? Will that do?

OK…now you’re starting to rationalize. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I try to avoid these questions because it becomes very complicated, talking about sin, the origin of sin, free will, etc. And you end up using scripture as the authority to talk to a non believer which means nothing to them. And most importantly, Jesus and NT scripture was clear that it’s not our place to judge, final judgement is not ours so is it a sin question almost sounds like do gay people burn in hell for eternity for being gay.

Jesus was very clear on a few things.

1. Final judgement is not ours
  2. Who amongst us has not sin aka let the person who has not sin cast the first stone
  3. He did not like those who used the word of God and religion to keep others from from salvation aka pretending to be religiously pious and was keeping others from enjoying salvation being so strict to rules.

I really think if Jesus was here today, many Christians and religious leaders would hate him and reject him.

3 Likes

This sounds like wanting to have your cake and eat it too. God created man as he did, including all of our capacities. He could have created us without the capacity to sin (you mention “his laws” so it seems he well knew what sin was when he created us). However, no matter what the reason, he didn’t. He created us with the capacity to sin and full knowledge that we are incapable of perfection, by his own choice. Therefore he created sin. As Bill Burr said on the topic, “don’t try to turn this around on me now!”

1 Like

God didn’t create sin, he did however create the potential for sin. Adam chose disobedience. God did not tempt, coerce, or lure Adam into disobedience. The devil was the one who tempted Adam and Eve into committing the first act of sin. God provided the opportunity to sin, but He did not create or instigate sin. Having the opportunity was good; without it, human beings would be little more than robots. The opportunity to sin is inherent in our freedom of choice. If God didn’t create us with the potential to sin then we would just be mindless and programmed to love Him and be perfect forever. Since we were created in His image and He is free, we are too.

But even as He created the potential for sin, He also made a way to bridge the gap that we humans chose to create.

2 Likes

Sin was a by product of free will. @pugpuppy I don’t actually take genesis literally also. If God is God, yes @tempogain he would already know sin would happen and men would fall. Since God would exist outside of time, he would know. A little hard to explain God with our finite minds and limited language.

But yes, I guess you can technically say God created sin, but it was more a result of allowing free will.

I think it’s silly to believe Adam and Eve went around in a perfect place and a snake came and decieved them into falling by eating a super special apple that you’re not suppose to eat. It’s more a simple story to explain

1. Free will
  2. Sin and what it does, hence when Adam ate apple, he became ashamed and hid from God. God even asks where he is (imagine how stupid it would be to play hide and seek with a being like God) So basically sin keeps you away from God even when God is asking for you (Hense the line God asking where Adam is) and not that God banishes you to hell for it.
  3. Our fallen nature
1 Like