Is the Blacklist real?

Interestingly enough, 4 of these guys (on the black list) worked at shane school. This leads me to think that this list belongs mainly to “Shane School”
Hmmmm
Pretty dodgy if you ask me

This link doesn’t work. I still can’t find the list of all teachers.

Brian

This link doesn’t work. I still can’t find the list of all teachers.

Brian[/quote]

OK. Go here: ap4.kh.edu.tw/afterschool/foreig … n_form.jsp

Then select

ap4.kh.edu.tw/afterschool/englis … n_form.jsp

odd, it’s moved.

kenneth

Thanks for the link Hexuan. Some G$ for you.

Brian

Does anyone know how one can go about finding if they have been blacklisted by a school?

And if they have, what they can do about it?

[quote=“slim9”]Does anyone know how one can go about finding if they have been blacklisted by a school?

And if they have, what they can do about it?[/quote]

There is no such thing. “Blacklisting” basically consists of your former employer picking up the phone and badmouthing you to every bushiban he or she can find. When I receive such calls at my school, I accept them for what they are – a disgruntled, vengeful former employer. I trust most any bushiban owner with an IQ above that of a rock would realize the same.

I once asked just such a caller for contact information for the employee she was bad-mouthing, so I could hire him. When she incredulously asked why, I, using my most patronizing tone, explained that anyone with a sixth-grade education could see what was going on. That shut her up. I hope it also made her think.

The only thing you can “do about it” is not worry about it. Any decent cram school boss can figure out what’s going on. Those who can’t, you probably don’t want to work for anyway.

Lee Kaiwen, Chiayi

1 Like

[quote]Does anyone know how one can go about finding if they have been blacklisted by a school?

And if they have, what they can do about it?

There is no such thing. “Blacklisting” basically consists of your former employer picking up the phone and badmouthing you to every buxiban he or she can find. [/quote]

Au contraire mon frer!
Ski

My friend at the moment has had her ARC application cancelled due to being blacklisted!!!

Thanks for the link

[quote=“ski”]Au contraire mon frer!
ap4.kh.edu.tw/afterschool/Englis … n_form.jsp
Ski[/quote]

Ski, you posted the wrong link. The proper one is ap4.kh.edu.tw/afterschool/foreig … n_list.jsp

The other one is just for a list of teachers. There is no English link to the Blacklist. I confirmed and double, triple checked this with people at my office.

Only 12 people listed?
What does the date represent? The date when they will be removed from the list?

Au contraire mon frer![/quote]

Yes, I’m well aware that some scattered private lists exist. Occasional individuals or concerns will get together to start some sort of list of teachers they don’t like. But these lists are generally outdated and always lacking in credibility. In all my years as a bushiban owner, I can honestly say I’ve never known an owner who actually uses these lists. Most of the folks I know are barely aware they exist.

So when I say '“blacklisting doesn’t exist” I mean simply that such scattered lists as do exist are of such negligible consequence, that it’s effectively as if they don’t exist. There certainly isn’t any national centralized database of blacklisted teachers lists, as seems to be the common misperception amongst many teachers. In any case, for every lazy, credulous employer that relies on a blacklist, there are twenty who have better things to do with their time.

If your name ends up on one of those lists, don’t sweat it. Chances are high the next school you apply at hasn’t seen it, and high again that even if they have, they don’t put much credibility in it. And, as I said, the few who do you probably don’t want to work for anyway.

Not to say the reverse doesn’t occasionally happen. It’s just not worth worrying about.

Now as to the links posted, yours, as has been noted, seems to be simply a list of teachers, not a blacklist at all. The link supplied by Kahna, as has also been noted, doesn’t seem to contain more than a dozen names, and further, appears to be intended only for the internal use of this particular school, though admittedly I didn’t poke around much, and the site was almost impossible to use – too many javascript errors and “servlet exceptions”.

This particular blacklist only seems to prove my point.

Lee Kaiwen, Taiwan

[quote=“Spack”]Only 12 people listed?
What does the date represent? The date when they will be removed from the list?[/quote]

guan3 zhi4 jie2 zhi3 – “under surveillance until”. And if you click the arrow to the right of each name it gives the reason for the surveillance.

Lee Kaiwen, Chiayi

KaiwenLee,

The Academic Director at my school told me that it was a ‘general list’, whatever that means. You can search by county etc. Other options on the site are to go and find government approved buxibans etc. It’s not a school list, though, more ike an ‘education’ list. I’m not sure if it’s the only list, or merely ‘a’ list. I was alarmed to find my name, along with a couple (but not all) of the teachers at my school, on the one that Ski posted, and felt I had better go and find out what the deal was. The hours I am teaching are all wrong as well - apparently zero!

But you’re right, 12 names is a small amount. There probably are more ‘lists’ somewhere.

You are wrong. It is run by the buxiban association and updated by the MOE. It is a National centralized database and if you are a legal foreign English teacher, you are on it.

The blacklist for the MOE is kept on this site too. Teachers have no misperception on this, I run a buxiban and I know about this database. It can give me information about any teacher, anywhere on the island. In short, it sucks.

Sigh. Why do people always spell my name wrong?

Actually, the surprising thing about that list is that it seems to name all foreign teachers, not just foreign English teachers. There are quite a few foreign Japanese teachers on that list as well, though not nearly as numerous as foreign English teachers.

The problem with the list is that it is not 100% accurate. I have a friend up there who left Taiwan for good a while ago, but the person is still listed as working for one school. I also have friends who have ARCs that are not on the list.

Spooky list.

IMPORTANT: ALL teachers are Males! (even the females)

CORRECTION: Only the females I know personally are listed as males!

How come about half the teachers on that list are listed as having “O hours”?

You are wrong. It is run by the buxiban association and updated by the MOE.[/quote]

Sorry. Which bushiban association? And what site?

I stand by my previous statement. I don’t know a single owner who has used, consulted, or put any stock in any blacklist. I still doubt they’re any serious impedement to finding another position.

Lee Kaiwen, Chiayi