Is the Blacklist real?

Was that the same school that got sued by those two foreign teachers who had their pictures and personal information posted in one of the English language newspapers a while back as being ‘undesirables’?[/quote]

I don’t know actually, on desk and then to trash, as it should be.

This is a very interesting topic.

I am currently working for a Bushiban school. I’m thinking of moving on soon

The school threatened to blacklist one of the teachers for quitting. Despite giving appropriate notice, and despite the fact the school did not even provide medical insurance. Obviously the medical insurance point made things fine for the teacher, but I am concerned this may happen to me.

I have always worked hard, but I’m expecting the same treatment. Do you think I’ll get blacklisted?

cheers
anonymous

[quote=“edward.orlowski”]
The school threatened to blacklist one of the teachers for quitting. Despite giving appropriate notice, and despite the fact the school did not even provide medical insurance. Obviously the medical insurance point made things fine for the teacher, but I am concerned this may happen to me.[/quote]

No medical insurance? Well, that’s illegal, presuming that your school sponsors ARCs.

I recommend completing contracts, especially since you need to get a Termination of Contract Agreement from your employer before the CLA can issue a new work permit. (I guess this only applies if you have only one work permit).

I have been working at the same full time job for the last 5 years. Last year for various reasons I was unable to keep full time hours there. The school gave me 10 hours on Wednesday and Friday, but nothing was signed. In fact, I didn’t have a signed contract with this school for the last 3 years. No one ever brought it up. I do have a 3 year ARC with them, which I am a year into.
I am having trouble finding a decent part time job for the other days and may have to drop the old job and take a different full time job. If I do that without giving them a months notice, can they black list me? We basically have only an oral agreement that I will work this year, though I don’t know if having a three year ARC means I agree to work for that long.
I have to make a decision this week or next, so any advice would be apreciated.
B.

They would have had to submit a 3 year contract at some point to someone in order to get a 3-year ARC, I think, unless things have changed radically since I left the island. So I’d be aware of that. It may be pro forma, and you may never have seen it (strange as that may seem; in theory you should have signed it, buuuut this is Taiwan after all), but it could exist should they want to use it.

That having been said, I don’t think the blacklist is really based on contracts. Are you talking about an “official” blacklist, like with Immigration or the CLA, or are you talking about the (somewhat mythical but exists) blacklist maintained by the buxiban association?

Hopefully someone else will know more…??

As Ironlady points out you must have a contract for the three years or else you would not have been able to secure a three year ARC based upon your employment there. So a three year contract has been submitted to the CLA in order to get the work permit that the resident visa and ARC are based upon.

If you leave a job without giving at least 30 days notice then you run the risk of being blacklisted by the CLA. Blacklisting effectively prevents you from ever getting a work permit to teach in Taiwan even again so you really want to do your best to avoid that I suspect.

You have the right to leave your employer at any time and for any reason provided that you give at least 30 days notice - best done in writing.

I’ve been told by people who work at my school that there is an ‘official teacher blacklist’ for Taiwan, and that any teacher who really runs afoul of their employers could be put on this list. This basically ensures the teacher will never be hired again in Taiwan, and I think even has some possible ‘banning from the country powers.’

Does anyone know if this is actually true or is it just a bunch of bullshit to try and keep people in line?

No such list. Urban legend. Anyone who really thinks local Buxibans have it together enough to establish and maintain such a thing has a much higher opinion of these establishments than they deserve.
They’re far, far more interested in undercutting each other then helping each other. :laughing:

I dont think he means a school blacklist, but “official blacklist”, but this is only for breaking visa regulations, I think you can onl be blacklisted for not showing up to work for 3 consecutive days, and thats any ARC holder

then you wouldnt be able to get another visa

That’s my understanding, so always quit and if they wont accept your notice you send a copy to the Council of Labour Affairs with a reasonable notice period (3 days if less than a year, unless you signed another longer (reasonable) agreement in your contract)

[quote=“itakitez”]I dont think he means a school blacklist, but “official blacklist”, but this is only for breaking visa regulations, I think you can onl be blacklisted for not showing up to work for 3 consecutive days, and thats any ARC holder

then you wouldnt be able to get another visa

That’s my understanding, so always quit and if they wont accept your notice you send a copy to the Council of Labour Affairs with a reasonable notice period (3 days if less than a year, unless you signed another longer (reasonable) agreement in your contract)[/quote]
Oh, right. Yeah, the CLA will keep a record of ANYONE with a work-based ARC and if such a person breaks the visa rules, the CLA won’t issue another work permit.
It’s got NOTHING to do with the schools or teachers specifically, though.

That’s what I thought.

Thanks guys.

HAHA, my old school ( a terrible private elm. school on yangmingshan) tried to “threaten” me and a co-worker with this list by releasing the rumor through local teachers. The funny thing is we both are married to locals and have marriage visas, so even the work permit problem can’t harm us. Silly schools.

There used to be a semi-official blacklist. It was operated by the Buxiban Association and I seem to remember that it was used by the MOE to deny people work permits. If you search for threads from around six years ago you should find something, though the link to the blacklist site itself was removed by the person who posted it, and anyway I don’t think the site or any other such list has been used for years.

I have read many posts on here and they go back and forth regarding a teacher or just a “foreign worker” for that matter, getting “blacklisted” from ever working in Taiwan again.

I am facing an issue currently with a job placement agency and a school and the agency is mediating between myself and the school. The agency is saying the school can or might “report me to the government” and it “will affect my ability to work in Taiwan”.

I thought I would open a thread and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this real or fake blacklisting.

Is it real? Can a school report you to the government and put you on a blacklist and prevent you from working in Taiwan ever again?
(Example would be breaching a contract)

Or are these just scare tactics to get you to keep your contract or to pay the “illegal” fine of breaching your contract?

Yes it exists …

The agency that’s paid to stick you in the school is mediating on your behalf? Am I reading that right?
Or did they also find the tech job you now want, and they might get paid twice, so there’s actual a reason for them to want to help you?

The correct term is African-American List.

Dunno if there’s really a blacklist. I strongly suspect not. However, the school CAN report you to the authorities for certain things – breach of contract being one of them.
I’d STRONGLY recommend that you find someone to meditate for you other than the school’s employee (which is basically what your agent is.)
The agent doesn’t give a toss about what happens to you. He most CERTAINLY DOES give a toss about retaining the school as his client!

Astonishingly, a search throws up these threads:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =blacklist](Taking a job with the intent of quitting
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =blacklist
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =blacklist](Emergency! Advice needed tonight!
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =blacklist](Breaching your contract in the trial period
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =blacklist](My boss is hinting at blacklisting me if I break my contract
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =blacklist](Constantly being asked to do illegal stuff!
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =blacklist](Quit job. When does ARC expire?

I’m sure there are more. I only had 10 minutes to spare, though.

Yes, it can be written in your record that you should not be given a work permit.

And, don’t let the agency represent you. Get a friend or pay a translator to help. It’s in the agency’s best interest to keep you in the job.