Is the Discovery crew freaking out!

With the delay of the launch and the ‘little’ technical problems the shuttle has had, adding to the memory of the terrible accident 2 1/2 years ago, do you think that the crew of this new mission is…well…freaking out?
They must have some kind of aprehension of some sort wouldn’t you think?
They were just about to board the shuttle today when the mission was cancelled because of a fuel problem and now the launch is postponed till saturday.
I am just wondering what goes in these guys mind right now?
Care to comment?

[quote=“igorveni”]With the delay of the launch and the ‘little’ technical problems the shuttle has had, adding to the memory of the terrible accident 2 1/2 years ago, do you think that the crew of this new mission is…well…freaking out?
They must have some kind of aprehension of some sort wouldn’t you think?
They were just about to board the shuttle today when the mission was cancelled because of a fuel problem and now the launch is postponed till saturday.
I am just wondering what goes in these guys mind right now?
Care to comment?[/quote]

I think one of the tests they undergo is the “Don’t get excited when things are delayed” battery. I’d say that these guys are the least likely people in the world to freak out…about anything. The hotdog motorcycle riding, whore chasing, hothead astronaut comes from Hollywood, not NASA.

I’m pretty sure they’re crapping themselves.

As Rockhound says in “Armageddon”:

“You know we’re sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn’t it?”

(Obviously the Space Shuttle doesn’t have the nuke. Well, not one that they’re letting us lot know about).

I think you have to be completely nuts to want to be an astronaut anyway. And I agree with JD. I think they are probably not any more freaking out than usual. I think, actually, knowing that they are being that careful would actually calm them a touch?

Well, after the last Space Shuttle disaster, they admitted that they really didn’t know what they were doing, engineering-wise. I mean, they had been guestimating a lot of stuff, like how big/strong the seals should be round the fuel tanks, etc. They had never really done extensive tests to do real risk analysis.

That’s why it’s taken so long to get this one going, cos they’ve literally had to go back to the drawing board on a lot of stuff. Let’s hope they’ve done a good job :astonished:

Its a lot more dangerous driving on the streets of Taiwan than it is to ride the shuttle! :laughing: