Is the HTC Touch Pro 3.5G?

htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=49524

What are the 3.5G specs and does this meet them?

There’s shortly going to be a HTC Touch 3G, but I’m not sure if that’s 3.0G or 3.5G…

Cheers,

Alex

Now I could just be rude here, but let’s be nice…

It supports HSDPA up to 7.2Mbit, HSDPA is 3.5G, but there are a few different speed grades of which currently 7.2Mbit is the fastest. It also does HSUPA, which is for uploads and it manages 2Mbit for uploads which is also the fastest standard.

Then there’s a question about which networks support those speeds here and that, I don’t know.

For the Touch Pro it says:
HSPA/WCDMA:
Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz
Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds
Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
Europe/Asia: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

That means it is just 3G as opposed to 3.5G, right? Is it a noticeable speed difference?

The Touch 3G is 3.5G then… but unfortunately no keyboard…

[quote=“ALT83”]For the Touch Pro it says:

[color=#FF0000]HSPA[/color]
/WCDMA:
Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz
Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds
Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
Europe/Asia: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

That means it is just 3G as opposed to 3.5G, right?[/quote]Nope. See the bit I highlighted.

I guess you didn’t read the post I wrote at all then? :unamused:

I did, you said “It supports HSDPA up to 7.2Mbit, HSDPA is 3.5G”, from the specs online though the Touch Pro doesn’t support HSDPA - unless you were referring to the Touch 3G… but that wasn’t clear :wink:

Perhaps you’re getting confused because of the extra “D”. This bit from Wikipedia might help:[quote]High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) is a collection of mobile telephony protocols that extend and improve the performance of existing UMTS protocols. Two standards, HSDPA and HSUPA, have been established and a further standard, HSPA+, is soon to be released.[/quote]If a phone only does UMTS, it’s 3G only. If it does HSPA, it’s a 3.5G one.

Yes that is helpful thanks - You can never be too sure with all these similarly labelled “standards”, after all 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n all have massively different speeds… hence my concern over any speed differences that may exist…

I guess you don’t trust me then?
Look, I’ve worked as an IT journalist for nearly 9 years now, I don’t know if that means I’m qualified or not, but besides that, part of the stuff I’m interested in is mobile phones.
It’s not my fault that the manufacturers use difficult terms that people don’t understand, but when I explain something as simple as it’s possible and state that it’s the fastest kind of 3.5G out there, in what way can I possibly make it easier to understand?

Of course I trust you and I’m not doubting your expertise :slight_smile: - I admittedly don’t know much about mobile technology, and when there are inconsistencies in the manufacturer’s own website about technical terms, as a novice how am I supposed to know what’s right?

I think the reason why they wrote HSPA is because it does both the D and U kind, i.e. Down and Up, while say for example the Touch 3G only says HSDPA as it only supports fast downloads but not uploads.
Or it could just be a typo, as the Touch HD has HSDPA listed and yet it supports HSUPA and lists some clause about how HSUPA is reliant on network support…
It seems like all this stuff has been made as convoluted as possible so the manufacturers can trick people easily, but then again, I guess it’s the same all over the IT industry.