Is the mainstream media biased?

[quote=“STOP_Ma”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“STOP_Ma”]With respect to the Taiwan / China issues…

The U.S. media is incredibly biased towards China and the KMT.[/quote]

AH I see. :blush:

Well, of course. No one knows/cares about Taiwan in the US. Sad but true. It probably works in Taiwan’s benefit to NOT be under the eye of the US press though.[/quote]

I’m not sure I follow your argument here. The more that the U.S. citizens know about the cross-straights issue, the more likely they will support defending Taiwan.[/quote]

Why would they? The levels of corruption in Taiwan are at least equally distasteful to Americans as that of China.

You have GOT to be kidding.

Could it be that the media is being a lot more careful about the “stories” they break these days, after Dan Rather pissed away thrity years of credibility with fake documents?[/quote]

Bullshit.

The Dan Rather story was in 2004. More than a year after Judith Miller (NY Times) was whoring for Bushco. with her lies about Iraq.[/quote]

So? Are you saying that one voids the other?[/quote][/quote]

No. I’m saying that this Dan Rather stupidity is not the reason the U.S. corporate media is being “careful” – as you put it. The U.S. corporate media has been FAR more reckless by uncritically reporting GOP talking points for the last 5 years. Dan Rathers reporting did not help cause the deaths of 10’s of thousands of people – unlike Judith Miller’s reports.

[quote=“jdsmith”]

Why would they? The levels of corruption in Taiwan are at least equally distasteful to Americans as that of China.[/quote]

I’m not talking about Taiwanese domestic politics here.

This is in my liberal horseshit box, next to

[quote]
Blacks will soon lose the right to vote[/quote] and

[quote]
Kyoto[/quote]

I agree to Tetsuo, whatever sells the papers.

This is in my liberal horseshit box, next to

[quote]
Blacks will soon lose the right to vote[/quote] and

[quote]
Kyoto[/quote]

I agree to Tetsuo, whatever sells the papers.[/quote]

Obviously, you don’t live close to Nevada.

We’re talking a 700-ton explosion here, my friend.

According to the world famous philostophers over in the he pissed an apology thread one isn’t even equal to one, in that this one and that one are each unique entities existing in their own right and therefore cannot, truly be equal. It gets confusing but at least one learns that what you see in the newspaper could not actually equal “the truth” as “the truth” is one thing and a newspaper article another. To make maters worse the truth, a lie, an insinuation, grand delusion or what have you cannot exist independantly of our perception of it, and people’s perceptions vary. Or something like that. So yes, er no, I don’t think the newspapers are biased in so much as that they make a good wrapping for cod deep fried in beer batter.

[quote=“STOP_Ma”]

We’re talking a 700-ton explosion here, my friend.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s a 700 ton explosion. So?

Divine Strake

[quote]Q6. Why is 700 tons of ammonium nitrate-fuel oil being used?
A6. The explosive size was selected to cause a desired spectrum of damage. We can then validate our computer codes for severe, moderate, and minimal damage regimes.

Q7. Why can

[quote=“JMcNeill”][quote=“STOP_Ma”]

Yeah, it’s a 700 ton explosion. So?

Divine Strake

[quote]Q6. Why is 700 tons of ammonium nitrate-fuel oil being used?
A6. The explosive size was selected to cause a desired spectrum of damage. We can then validate our computer codes for severe, moderate, and minimal damage regimes.

Q7. Why can

"The Ann Scott Tyson of the Washington Post provided a surprisingly confusing description of the Divine Strake test. The source of the garble is the incoherent policy on nuclear weapons to defeat underground targets, which is the source of the Divine Strake test. While it has become politically inconvenient to develop improved earth penetrating nuclear warheads, the massive Divine Strake test was planned in order to evaluate the effectiveness of earth penetrating nuclear warheads. Thus it becomes politically neccessary to make silly statements denying the connection between this test and nuclear weapons. The initial Associated Press article was rather less detailed, somewhat less garbled, but still left something to be desired. And the Reuters reporting included a few puzzling points as well. The fault is not so much that of the reporters as it is with the incoherence of the governments policy.

A week after her first report, Tyson penned a followup story, “Pentagon Clarifies Nevada Intent” that further compounds her initial errors. This second story verges on the bizarre, since the primary effect seems to be to rescue her first story, with the secondary effect of continuing the hoax that Divine Strake has nothing to do with nuclear weapons. While the Defense Threat Reduction Agency has already acknowledged to others that the test is a nuclear weapons effects test, in the parallel universe created by Tyson and inhabited by Washington Post readers, manifestly silly claims are made to sustain the fiction that the test has nothing to do with nuclear weapons. Tyson’s rationale is that she is accurately reporting the statements of James Tegnelia, director of the Pentagon’s Defense Threat Reduction Agency, which is conducting the test. There does not appear to be any obligation here to try to understand whether these statements bear any relationship to objective reality."

""The test is aimed at determining how well a massive conventional bomb would perform against fortified underground targets … "

“Surely this is untrue. It is a general principle of weapons effects testing that the test weapons should closely approximate the weapon that would be used in combat. The 30,000 lb [15 ton] Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) Direct Strike Hard Target Weapon / Big BLU is the largest munition currently under development by the United States. Heavy bombers such as the B-52 or the B-2 could carry a pair of such bombs. It is manifestly implausible that one would detonate 700 tons of explosive in order to evaluate the effects of a 15 ton bomb. Somewhere along the line, the fact the Divine Strake is associated with the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator RNEP or possibly the B61-11 Earth-Penetrating Weapon became obscured. The source of this obscurity is obscure in and of itself.”

From Global Security:

[quote]The DIVINE STRAKE full scale test is planned to be a large-yield, buried burst detonated at the Nevada Test Site. Divine Strake would appear to be associated with the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator RNEP, or possibly the B61-11 Earth-Penetrating Weapon, a fact that is obscured in most press coverage. Divine Strake is a high-explosive (HE) test sponsored by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) at the Nevada Test Site (NTS). The test is a detonation of a 700 ton buried heavy AN/FO charge above a tunnel structure. The main purpose of the test is to study ground shock effects on deeply buried tunnel structures. Of secondary interest is the airblast produced by a buried charge and its modification as it propagates over the local terrain. Scheduled for the summer of 2006, as of 01 April 2006 the test was planned for 02 June 2006.

DIVINE STRAKE is one of several “DIVINE” efforts under the Hard and Deeply Buried Target Defeat (HDBTD) program. DIVINE WARHAWK consists of deep underground operational tunnel facility defeat demonstrations using advanced weapons at the White Sands Missile Range. DIVINE HELCAT was a 2004 reconstitution exercise to determine reconstitution time for the C3I tunnel facility at Nevada Test Site (NTS). Also in 2004 planning began for DIVINE HATES, which is a WMD production and storage tunnel complex functional defeat effort.[/quote]

From Jane’s Defence:

[quote]US dumps bunker-buster - or not?

In late October, US Congressional leaders agreed to withhold USD4 million requested by the US administration to complete pre-engineering studies into the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator (RNEP). Although it has been widely reported that the programme has now been cancelled, there is evidence that the RNEP project may yet continue under a new name…[/quote]

[quote=“STOP_Ma”]

Yeah, so?

“We” detonated lots of atom and nuclear during the cold war. How many were used against Russia?

I read the papers and watch the news, but I don’t buy the hype.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“STOP_Ma”]

Yeah, so?

“We” detonated lots of atom and nuclear during the cold war. How many were used against Russia?

I read the papers and watch the news, but I don’t buy the hype.[/quote]

The sources I gave you were from respected publications with a great deal of knowledge about the U.S. military.

You can choose to be a fool if you would like.

Just curious: Did you refuse to “buy the hype” about Iraq’s imminent threat in 2003?

Because most of us understood that WMD or no WMD, Saddam had it coming and that we and our partners across the pond and down under were the only ones who had the balls to give it to him.

Because they need an excuse to tell folks like you who can’t accept that Saddam Hussein deserved an ass beating as much as any other thug in the world. :wink:[/quote]

Saddam Hussein was contained in 2003 and the deaths of 10’s of thousands of Iraqis and Americans were the result of a madman and chickenhawk – named George W. Bush and his cronies who were itching for war since the day he was appointed in January 2000.

Now we face the possibility that this madman will attack Iran with tactical nuclear weapons.

On June 2, 2006 – there will be a test involving 10’s of thousands of pounds of explosives in the Nevada desert named, get this…

“DIVINE STRIKE”.

If you haven’t awaken to this madness, yet – you are truly one sad fool.

Of course, the U.S. media will be focusing their attention on the latest Bin Laden tape or another orange alert or the latest abducted anglo-saxon female.[/quote]

Cool it Ma - these are the people who are supposed to bail you out after your brothers across the sea come to collect thier debt.

[quote=“Elegua”]

Cool it Ma - these are the people who are supposed to bail you out after your brothers across the sea come to collect thier debt.[/quote]

Yeah.

And if they commit to nukes against Iran – everyone is farked – not just Taiwan.

[quote=“STOP_Ma”][quote=“Elegua”]

Cool it Ma - these are the people who are supposed to bail you out after your brothers across the sea come to collect thier debt.[/quote]

Yeah.

And if they commit to nukes against Iran – everyone is farked – not just Taiwan.[/quote]

Of all countries - I’d trust the US more. Even in war time the US used its nukes pretty responsibly. Currently the US is also outspending the EU of the security of nuclear materials

cns.miis.edu/research/globpart/funding.htm

[quote=“Elegua”][quote=“STOP_Ma”][quote=“Elegua”]

Yeah.

And if they commit to nukes against Iran – everyone is farked – not just Taiwan.[/quote]

Of all countries - I’d trust the US more. Even in war time the US used its nukes pretty responsibly. Currently the US is also outspending the EU of the security of nuclear materials

cns.miis.edu/research/globpart/funding.htm[/quote]

I would trust Mommar Quadaffi (sp?) more than I would trust President Chuckle-nuts and the neocons on a mission from God.

Where the hell do you get this “trust” from after 5+ years of blatant non-stop lying and murder?

[quote=“STOP_Ma”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“STOP_Ma”]

Yeah, so?

I read the papers and watch the news, but I don’t buy the hype.[/quote]

The sources I gave you were from respected publications with a great deal of knowledge about the U.S. military.

You can choose to be a fool if you would like.

Just curious: Did you refuse to “buy the hype” about Iraq’s imminent threat in 2003?[/quote]

Did I buy which hype? The WMD hype or the let’s just get rid of this asshole who will cause trouble sooner or later hype? Honestly, I based my decision to agree with the war on the slew of UN sanctions violations.

I’m a fool? Whatever you say. :unamused: Just like I’m a fool for not believing China was going to attack Taiwan for the last 10 years. If you run around every day screaming a plane will crash and people will die, well sooner or later you’ll be right though huh? Then you can say you told me so.

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Did I buy which hype? The WMD hype or the let’s just get rid of this asshole who will cause trouble sooner or later hype? Honestly, I based my decision to agree with the war on the slew of UN sanctions violations.[/quote]

Would that include the one where “Saddam didn’t let the weapons inspectors in so we had to invade” UNSCR ‘violation?’ :slight_smile:

Yup. The Taiwanese have a rich tradition of backing tinpot dictators, right enough. Where exactly IS Charles Taylor these days? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“STOP_Ma”]

Just curious: Did you refuse to “buy the hype” about Iraq’s imminent threat in 2003?[/quote]

Did I buy which hype? The WMD hype or the let’s just get rid of this asshole who will cause trouble sooner or later hype? Honestly, I based my decision to agree with the war on the slew of UN sanctions violations.
[/quote]

Did you also believe the President of the U.N.'s hype that this war violated the U.N. charter and, is in fact, an illegal war?

And did you also believe the hype coming from one of the chief architects of this Iraq invasion, Richard Perle, also calling this war “illegal” – in 2003?

What was it you said earlier? Oh yes,

It seems you believe this. One war criminal voiding the other, that is.