Is the Media Coming Down too Hard on Sochi?

Before I begin, I do realize that it is a bit of a shit show, things are unfinished, things are a bit off, there is a real threat of terrorism, and the Russians are probably spying on people and doing Lord knows what to the local ne’er-do-wells but I also feel like the international media is really pouring it on strong, and highlighting the worst scenarios as the norm, “oh my God, you can’t flush the toilet paper!!!”, “argh, the water isn’t coming out clean!!!” (while that does sound nasty it isn’t uncommon in new dwellings and usually corrects itself after a day or two, even my building in Taipei is like this when they clean the water tower), “There are police units with machine guns walking around everywhere!!!” (again quite normal for a troubled country).

Am I alone here or is all the criticism warranted, because I feel some of it is quite sensational.

Accountability is still a foreign concept in Russia, and they take the whole “chabudao” thing to a new level. I guess $50 bil. isn’t enough to get enough people working with their ass on straight. Even a shitfest like China was able to pull off a mostly fantastic job in Beijing. Putin should resign over the whole scandal

As long as they confiscate all the toothpaste, everything should be OK. There are several U.S battleships off the coast to help enforce the toothpaste ban.

No one has mentioned the use of underpants though. This may constitute a weakness in the security plan.

I would like to see some unbiased reports but it has been pretty apparent that Sochi had no business hosting the games.

I was a bit skeptical but China did an awesome job. Its not bad when the “biggest incident” that happened was the two girls doing the national anthem thing. Where it was the one girl lip synching to another girls voice , ala milli vanilli. Maybe Russia will pull it off. I wonder why anyone wants to host games though. Its a huge price tag and one wonders if in the end there was any good done for the host country. I do hope it won’t be remembered for a terrorist incident like Munich was.

A lot of the infrastructure built by China for the games are now unused and rotting. Not supposed to be like that is it?

China pulled it off better.

cheezburger.com/179717

[quote=“tommy525”]I was a bit skeptical but China did an awesome job. Its not bad when the “biggest incident” that happened was the two girls doing the national anthem thing. Where it was the one girl lip synching to another girls voice , ala milli vanilli. Maybe Russia will pull it off. I wonder why anyone wants to host games though. Its a huge price tag and one wonders if in the end there was any good done for the host country. I do hope it won’t be remembered for a terrorist incident like Munich was.

A lot of the infrastructure built by China for the games are now unused and rotting. Not supposed to be like that is it?[/quote]

China? That was really an Olympics by China for China. Recall how difficult it was to get a visa. Or the murder of the father of the US volleyball coach and the stabbing of his wife on the Drum Tower, (My children and myself had the misfortune of witnessing from the Bell Tower), the fake fireworks and empty venues due to the unused VIP tickets. We were a big corp sponsor and had a pavillion (180MM USD, total cost) where I couldn’t follow where at least 40MM USD went. But details, really…this is China and whatever the entry cost, we’ll pay it…well back then that was the thinking.

Resign? Funny you … they’ll deport some people in charge to Siberia instead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

People on skis, snow, mehh.

It’s not that people don’t have motivation, it’s that at least half the money was pocketed by someone. It happens all the damn time over there, just this time there was a bigger budget, so more people got greedier than usual. Corruption at its finest.

Wow, didn’t hear about that at the time. Sounds rough to witness.

Wow, didn’t hear about that at the time. Sounds rough to witness.[/quote]

edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiap … eref=onion

theguardian.com/sport/2008/a … 008.china2

China at the time censored that news internally. They confiscated equipments of Chinese reporters who attended the press conference of the US Volleyball team and all internet reports.

The news should have been a bigger deal in the US though, don’t know why I didn’t remember hearing it either.

Did you guys find any special thing in the google page design today? LOL

theguardian.com/sport/2008/a … 008.china2

China at the time censored that news internally. They confiscated equipments of Chinese reporters who attended the press conference of the US Volleyball team and all internet reports.

The news should have been a bigger deal in the US though, don’t know why I didn’t remember hearing it either.[/quote]

Weird, never heard about that either.

All these sports organizations are a joke polluted by the massive amounts if money sloshing around, World Cup in Qatar anybody?

Is that a rainbow or are they just Putin us on?

xDDDD

So I’m not the only one who noticed it :smiley:

Im not disputin for no reason.

More of the same: sportsgrid.com/sports-politi … -uniforms/

Russia’s incompetence will make these games even more watchable as long as the athletes can still perform the events. Some of the ski/snowboard events have had issues already.