Is the Nobel Prize a F*cking joke?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Well there is also no Nobel Prize for Mathematics as well. Seems like his wife had an affair with a Math guy and that’s his revenge… :loco:[/quote]How can his wife have an affair when he was never married ? :s

Well, for all the ones regarding the nobel prize as a joke: :loco:

Be it a pro-prc apologist, (IE AC) or a US conservative (too many to mention), if an institution can piss both off, then it’s doing something good.

Also, note that the world view presented by the Nobel Committee is different from the one prevailing among Pro PRC/ Pro US conservative posters, and that it has a fair bit of merit by my book.

Sometimes the people chosen are controversive, sometimes they are off, but most of the choices look wise in retrospect.

A popular story, but unfortunately untrue (Nobel was never even married). Mathematicians have the Fields Medal instead.

His wife is Lady Antonia Fraser.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]His wife is Lady Antonia Fraser.[/quote]Unlikely since she was born in 1932 and Nobel died in 1896
But she did marry Pinter. But Pinter had nothing to do with Nobel not creating a Nobel prize for mathematics.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”]His wife is Lady Antonia Fraser.[/quote]Unlikely since she was born in 1932 and Nobel died in 1896
But she did marry Pinter. But Pinter had nothing to do with Nobel not creating a Nobel prize for mathematics.[/quote]

OK. You were talking about Nobel not having a wife.

I was just going to answer that, but then I read this:

So, I’m not sure if it’s a trick question, now. :slight_smile:

BTW, when you say opinions are like assholes, is that a fact? :wink:

To answer your question about opinions, you would first need to define valid for me? Valid to whom? They are certainly valid to those that hold them.

Or do you mean Are all opinions worthy of support? Something like that?

Let me know.

Mr He seems to have provided the best post in this thread so far. In my opinion. :sunglasses:

If they give Nobel prizes to “potty mouths” maybe I should apply for one.

Of course, I don’t share his ultra-left politics, which I’m sure are a big hit amongst the chattering classes in Stockholm:

[i]Democracy

There’s no escape.
The big pricks are out.
They’ll fuck everything in sight.
Watch your back.

Harold Pinter Februrary 2003

Pinter “in his plays uncovers the precipice under everyday prattle and forces entry into oppression’s closed rooms,” the Swedish Academy said. The chilling, understated style of his work even inspired an adjective all his own: Pinteresque.

My energies are going in different directions, certainly into poetry," he said.

In 2003, Pinter published a volume of anti-war poetry about the Iraq conflict, and in 2004 he joined a group of celebrity campaigners calling for Blair to be impeached.
“I’m using a lot of energy more specifically about political states of affairs, which I think are very, very worrying as things stand,” he said.[/i]

From jpmumbling.blogspot.com/

[i]He usually attracts the academic lit-nerd types because he seems dangerous and edgy, a commodity in the sterile world of academia. It’s a form of slumming, a way to be rebellious without any danger.

But when you deal with gang-bangers and delinquents every day, all with the same tiresome vulgarity that Pinter prefers, it gets old really quick. You realize that it isn’t original, isn’t interesting, and isn’t sophisticated. It is the first choice of an adolescent pretending to adulthood. Me? I would prefer to give Nobels to people who actually grew up at some point.[/i]

Nice, unbiased reporting there at the end.

That should help us all reach a conclusion on the matter. :slight_smile:

OK, to all detractors: who would you nominate this year?

Humorous or irreverent posts must try to reach the level of the infamous “throne of Ishtar” post from the Iraqi museum looting thread.

Me. And here is the poem. And, yes, it is an orignal.

Ode de Jumpsuits

Napoleonic complex, sweat beads, and lots of chalk
Illiterate girls. Whiskey on the rocks.
Beware! Beware! The waving arm
Like two pigs on a farm.
Juices, Juices
Let them run
The grinding, the grinding is almost done.

Ode de Jumpsuits

Like two pigs on a farm.
Juices, Juices
Let them run
The grinding, the grinding is almost done.[/quote] :bravo: Rhymes too. Not even Pinter could manage that.

Ode de Jumpsuits

Like two pigs on a farm.
Juices, Juices
Let them run
The grinding, the grinding is almost done.[/quote]

Pinter was nominated for his contribution to playwriting not poetry. Try again please.

And remember, the throne of Ishtar was a toilet. All bad suggestions will be duly flushed down it.

I know a few guys here who would be thrilled at the following nominations:

Nobel Peace Price: Shared between former buddies George W. Bush and Saddam Hussein. Through their actions, together, they have given eternal peace to a large number of Iraqis.

Literature price: Tom Clancy. His high quality novels filled with a magnamous international outlook and well ciselled person drawings of both heroes and willains have added a great deal of value to the stock of human literature.

Mathematics prize: Shared between the Chinese statistical institute and Dick cheney for their new and creative approach to numbers and accounting.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]OK, to all detractors: who would you nominate this year?

Humorous or irreverent posts must try to reach the level of the infamous “throne of Ishtar” post from the Iraqi museum looting thread.[/quote]

Link?

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“Muzha Man”]OK, to all detractors: who would you nominate this year?

Humorous or irreverent posts must try to reach the level of the infamous “throne of Ishtar” post from the Iraqi museum looting thread.[/quote]

Link?[/quote]

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … htar#68862](Stop the looting in Iraq

:wink:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … htar#68862

Sorry, it was the throne of Nebacanezzar.

Edit:

Damn, too slow. Had to look up how to spell Nebacanezzar. :laughing:

Perhaps the Nobel committee misunderstood and thought they were awarding the Turner Prize.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“Muzha Man”]OK, to all detractors: who would you nominate this year?

Link?[/quote]

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … htar#68862](Stop the looting in Iraq

:wink:[/quote]

:laughing:

I’m gonna have to go back and see if all your posts are meant to be funny, CS! I may have read them wrong. :wink:

I used to get really annoyed by fred smith’s posts, as he seemed like an arrogant bully boy, but after I realised who he is, I see how funny many of his posts are. They read so differently when you imagine them read aloud in his voice. Now I just see his posts as arrogant. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it.

Now, back to disagreeing with you …

Well, at least people have heard of Harold Pinter.
How many of these do you know/have read?

books.guardian.co.uk/nobelprize/ … 66,00.html

I barely reach double figures, and to think I studied literature at university :blush: