Is the nurse right?

I’ve been helping my friend (from India) at the hospital. He had a scooter accident, hurt one side of the body, can’t barely move. The hospital nurse explained to me that he should send for a relative or friend to come and help him with the bath because her job is just to give the medications and injections, check temperature and blood pressure. She is not a maid, she won’t clean vomit, spoon feed the patient or bath the patient. He needs to call his mother for that.
Or else he needs to hire a helper or get a friend to assist him in these routines. Is she right (or just plain lazy and trying to dump her job on someone else)?

She’s right, and its one reason why health care is so cheap in Taiwan.

Family can even sleep in the hospital room with the patient so they’re always on call.

and you get to bring your own food in too. Love sharing a room with a “stinky tofu and fried fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner” kind of guy.

[quote=“urodacus”]She’s right, and its one reason why health care is so cheap in Taiwan.

Family can even sleep in the hospital room with the patient so they’re always on call.

and you get to bring your own food in too. Love sharing a room with a “stinky tofu and fried fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner” kind of guy.[/quote]

Oh my! Then I need to concoct some devilish plan to soft the nurse, maybe some reinforcement. Tomorrow I will call one of my best looking classmate, ask him to dress up and come to the hospital bringing his star quality shine in hopes that the nurse (or nurses) will turn nicer and help out.

Or maybe his friends should help bathe him, feed him and clean up his vomit?

The nurse won’t do it, but there’s usually someone else who will (typically a trainee nurse, who gets all the shit jobs - literally). For a price, no doubt. Point is, not everyone has family. Elderly relative of the ball’n’chain was in hospital recently, and although family were helping out, there were carers available to deal with this sort of thing.

nappies work quite well in these situations.

The way it is, we are going to pool the money and hire a part-time nurse to help him out while we are in the school and cannot be there for him.

Yes relatives always are there to do these things. TW nurses do not do these things. You have to hire a special nurse for that at extra cost.

The nurse is totally right. Nurses here are overstreched as it is with so many patients, as do doctors. That is why you have assistants, even foreign caregivers especially working at the hospital. The front desk should have a list, try to hire an English speaking Filipina, there are many experienced nurses among them. It is not that expensive, even full time. One of you guys can stay overnight for any emergencies, as said.

Notice also the food is arranged separately. You can bring your own, which can be a good thing. But there are many menu options. Even hospital food has to be paid separately.

I have stayed a couple of times helping out with Taiwanese friends. Except changing lines and dressings, the family/friends/hired help is expecte dto do most of the clean up work. You also help shopping -when they are going to operate, for instance, they tell you if you need to buy special gauzes or extra materials. That last I found weird but as said, the system is way too cheap.

I like it that the family/friends can stay overnight. Yes, it is a cot, but for me, staying with a friend in their hour of pain gives me the confort of doing something useful. Just try to communicate with the doctors and follow any instructions accurately.

EDIT:
Rereading the OP, two things: the cost of the caregiver might be taken out of teh scooter insurance. See, it is worth paying.
Furthermore, the guy is from India, you say? Single, you say? My, my lemme know if Icon can help. :howyoudoin: Arranging the auxiliary nurse help, you guys!

Let the poor guy heal before you start climbing all over him! :no-no:

Sorry Icon to put a damp on your good intentions but see the case, if he (or I) were that handsome, with George Clooney type of charm, the nurse (or nurses) would just tell me to get lost and they would take over his entire body care right ? The nurse looked at us, pathetic average looking guys and simply told me to get his momma or aunt or a nurse to do the “extra” care. I really need to save money and get a good plastic surgeon to improve my features, have some nose job. People are somehow nicer to good looking peoples.

Sorry Icon to put a damp on your good intentions but see the case, if he (or I) were that handsome, with George Clooney type of charm, the nurse (or nurses) would just tell me to get lost and they would take over his entire body care right ? The nurse looked at us, pathetic average looking guys and simply told me to get his momma or aunt or a nurse to do the “extra” care. I really need to save money and get a good plastic surgeon to improve my features, have some nose job. People are somehow nicer to good looking peoples.[/quote]
Showering occasionally also helps.

In my experience attendants, most of whom are now from China and have no training in nursing, cost about NT$1,500 to NT$2,000 per day. Considering that’s a 24-hour period perhaps it’s not a lot; but it certainly does add up!

Eh, what I meant guys, was to help arrange/look for a suitable helper. If the guy’s religion forbids strange women touching him, he may require a male nurse, which might be harder to find. Anyways, too late to find him a GF. :laughing:

As to the cost, I had heard along the line sof 20K something for a month, full time. But since it is specialized care, yeah, it will take a bit of pooling resources. That is why we get extra insurance: to pay for the helper, the separate room -not in a noisy, collective 6 beds in a room affair but at least a two bed place, etc. And lots, lots of anesthetic. You thought that morphine drip was for free?!

[quote=“robert the bruce”]I’ve been helping my friend (from India) at the hospital. He had a scooter accident, hurt one side of the body, can’t barely move. The hospital nurse explained to me that he should send for a relative or friend to come and help him with the bath because her job is just to give the medications and injections, check temperature and blood pressure. She is not a maid, she won’t clean vomit, spoon feed the patient or bath the patient. He needs to call his mother for that.
Or else he needs to hire a helper or get a friend to assist him in these routines. Is she right (or just plain lazy and trying to dump her job on someone else)?[/quote]

You can pay a private helper about 2000NT per day to be with him all the time. (I am not sure about the price; I heard 2000 but maybe it is a bit higher.) Someone at the hospital can probably help you find such a person.

The nurse station got him a part-time helper for NT$ 1200, the doctor is going to hold him for 3 days at the hospital and then he can go home. Wow, he was surprised, 20-30 K/month for nursing care, he is actually thinking to pay an airline ticket and get his little brother to come and stay with him for a while. His scooter is gone, health is bad, needs to get a nurse/helper, miss classes, deal with the SUV woman who crashed on him and disappeared. At least he have some support from friends and money to deal with the ordeal.

terrible situ. sorry to hear.
hope it will all go well with him, most important is to recover his health.

Sorry to hear that, but remember it still beats the alternative… He will be fine, this all shall pass.

If his family could be here, it would be great. Recovery will take a couple of months, at least. Remember that when the hospital lets you go here, you are not right. They do that to reduce costs/risk of infection. It will be a bit of a steep road ahead.

Will he need physical theraphy? Do you guys have good communication with the doctor for post-care?

The school might suggest temporary studies suspension. Look into that later.

The police should be taking care of the runnaway driver, that is why we have cameras everywhere. Just make sure he also has all his t’s crossed and i’s dotted regarding license, insurance, etc… Then you can fight teeth and nails.

But most importantly, he’s got you guys. Pain shared and all that jazz.

And this is one reason why everyone should have private insurance that will pay for a single room.

And this is one reason why everyone should have private insurance that will pay for a single room.[/quote]

Even without insurance its still cheap.
$1100nt a day approx for a double room or $2000nt ish for private. I went without insurance but just Jianbao. Even when i was in hospital for 2 weeks, a semi private cost me just about $15k.