Is the Philippines a worse option than living in Taiwan?

Finley…off you go :smirk:

1 Like

wait, what? Why are people starting threads for me these days?

Yes.

Next thread.

6 Likes

I thought you needed to let off steam :smirk:

I would, but in all seriousness, I don’t want to end up as another corpse floating gently out of Manila bay. You might think I’m being overly melodramatic, but the murder rate in the Philippines is roughly 50x higher than in Europe, partly because murder isn’t considered particularly naughty, partly because it’s an accepted resolution for a loss-of-face, and partly because there is no effective police force or judiciary. Forumosa isn’t a secure platform; it’s probably quite easy to find out who I am.

Obviously.

I don’t want to bash the Philippines, but with the exception of Singapore I think most places in SE Asia are worse options than Taiwan. A lot of them are great places to visit though, and have awesome food (even if the quality of it is inconsistent and hygiene issues abound). But wages are terrible and infrastructure, traffic, medical care, civil rights, legal system, cleanliness, education are all worse off.

2 Likes

We should start a whole series of these. Next up asking @Andrew0409 whether Malaysia is a worse option than Taiwan.

1 Like

Yep, agreed. There is no room for dissent. Thinking is dangerous in our parts of the world.

@finley why are you currently living in the Philippines? And why don’t you move back to Taiwan if you’re not enjoying it? I’m sure you have good reasons. I’m just curious.

I don’t really live there - I spend a few weeks here and there. Without going into details which would identify me, I have land and a business there, which I do enjoy. In general, though, I keep myself to myself. I avoid interacting with Filipinos any more than I absolutely have to; my experience is that there is usually no benefit in doing so and a considerable risk of trouble, or at least endless minor frustrations. It’s a pity I have to take that attitude, but it is what it is. It’s a relief to come back to Taiwan because I can act like a normal human being again (or as normal as I get, anyway).

As Icon said, it’s a different planet. When on Proxima Centauri B, do as the Proxima Centaurans do. Or at least be aware of what they do.

2 Likes

I was in Cambodia last year to check out the temples, and a friend and I decided to do the one day tour where you take a boat to a poor area where they run a school that they barely keep afloat with donations. The tour itself is relatively cheap.

The tour guide was telling us in the car that in Cambodia, you can make poorer people disappear if you have the $.
For example he said they can just give a cops a big sum of money, and they will just come in the night and grab the offending person, who did nothing wrong. Apparently people get bribed and the guy gets thrown in jail.

I also noticed the chinese tour group in front of me all had a $5 bribe in their passports to give the border inspector. I refused to do that, screw that.

That post was forwarded from Dan2006, Block 17, Peng Prison, Cambodia.

5 Likes

Yes, but do they have the necessary sleuthing skills to dox you?

In that case, why don’t you divest from the country completely?

Yes, idk why this is even a question. Unless you like child prostitution. You see it just openly in places like cebu. Creepers with like a teenage girl.

1 Like

i have been many times but never seen that. Seen younger children begging in the streets but I would think that underage stuff is one possible target of Duterte?

Sent from my cell…Phone

2 Likes

You mean the guy who jokes about raping nuns?

Another Leader falls for the promise of cash , without thinking about the future…sigh

Ha, I like the DU30.

Yup , that’s the guy. unbelievable …BUT if he clamps down on things …wait …what am I saying…sorry

1 Like

Tankyou,