Is the yang 羊 in food dishes goat or sheep meat?

Except probably worse.
Add to that, from what I understood, the usual procedures for cooking it were pretty grim anyways.
Deffo a far cry from the fresh tasty spring roasts we’re used to

So yeah, whether in the trenches or otherwise, it’s a pretty safe bet El Tolkerino (if you aren’t into the whole brevity thing) would have had plenty of reason to hate mutton.

2 Likes

Here it is certainly goat unless you are paying more and they are drawing attention to it being sheep/lamb from new zealand. People here are generally ok with tough meat. Its the smell that puts people off. A small offering of meat sex wisdom. As mentioned females are sometimes used for milk, more often for breeding. Just old/“shitty” ones are killed. The boys are used a lot for meat as such and boys, due to having balls and crazy hormones, have a smell. Unlike with he factory farming of pigs where they cut the balls off and let them squirm until slaughter, i dont think many people cut the balls off goats leaving a noticeable scent. The ball cutting is probably not worth the effort due to the lack of mass from a goat compared to a pig and lack of quantity being kept to warrant hiring a dedicated ball cutter to come in and whack em all off.

There’s a shop close to my place that sells lamb with rice. The lamb was really good and none of the smells. I generally avoid lamb because too much of them have weird smells, and I wouldn’t feed it to dogs.

But who knows, maybe it was dog…

it’s goat :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes. You almost certainly didnt have lamb (in the sense of a young sheep), almost always goat. And likely a female one.

This case is the reason common names of species can make things confusing.

As I have understood things growing up in canada the English common names are standardized this way:

Ovis aries - Sheep
Lamb = under 1 year old. Animal and meat. When it comes to meat, realisticly most is called lamb when its tender, factories arent so dilligent on dates of birth and checking their tattoo.

Mutton = meat from sheep that are 2 years old plus. Realistically, anything less tneder than than lamb.

H something = between lamb and mutton but never heard anyone use it in the common day to day.

Capra aegagrus hircus - Goat (Domesticated hence subspecies status)

Eaten everywhere and in chinese often just mixed together with lamb/mutton. Back in the day it made more sense. Today there are specific names but people on the street tend not to follow them. Dont expect much from a culture on differentiating varieties and breeds when a large percentage think seafood is vegetarian.

1 Like

do you have pics or a location of that store?
imo all those 羊肉店 offer almost the same kind of food and flavor. mostly (fried) noodles and rice, some soup with medicinal herbs and hot pot. and they all use the same meat, probably mutton or goat, whatever you wanna call it. it smells and tastes the same.

definitely not a lamb roast what you would get at a buffet.

https://goo.gl/maps/2ewoHbA8DZRCWiH16

It’s here… address is No. 160, Hougang 1st Road, Xinzhuang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 242

Their meat doesn’t have the nasty smell lamb usually has. I avoid lamb like crazy because of the possibility that it could have the smell, and it’s pervasive, as in if you contaminate the soup with even a small amount it ruins it.

Hogget, between one and two years

And yeah, nobody uses it besides butchers and growers

1 Like

https://www.zdic.net/hant/羊頭狗肉

Fancy eating dog meat? I may (or may not have :roll_eyes:) twice

Probably only vegetarians/vegans have the right to have issues with the moral issues of eating a dog. Otherwise its just another meat bag.

Though thinking more on it, the super stinky “lamb” people have here might not be well hung goats but simply scavenging city dogs eating garbage. Not unlike the poor pigs eating rotting pales of scraps. Yum!

1 Like

香肉 can be found anywhere. I’ve never PAID for it, so it’s all “legal”

1 Like

Wonder how many different situations this could be used?

1 Like

Once someone made a good point to me, they’ve come to be our partners and friends, with our active encouragement, and they are. You don’t eat your friends. I won’t go pointing fingers at other people about it if done humanely, but I have a moral issue with it as far as I’m concerned.

5 Likes

The only problem is oftentimes people steal other people’s pets and eat them. If that can be enforced and punished I have no issue with eating dogs, just don’t eat someone’s pets.

1 Like

It’s really a matter of knowing someone who knows someone (not advocating breaking the law, by the way). But, honestly. having 香肉 will change your senses forever. Distinct!

Good point! Some universities used to hire companies to get rid of their stray dog problems. As a result, there was a lot of illegal meat on the market. In my experience I have friendships with people who have them found their own pets to be lethargic and wanted to share them with others.

Do I deserve an “F”?

Excellent! I’ll remember that one the next time someone pulls the “…Oh, then why don’t you eat dogs?” argument.

1 Like

Goat is an excellent protein. Delicious when cooked properly and difficult to get more free range.

2 Likes

Yesb precisely. As other animals can a persons friend and dogs are not some peoples friends it is (should be) left up to the individual. When it becomes a cultural stigma and/or law, it starts getting illogical.

Ps. I dont eat dogs either. Your point is right, we generally dont eat what we find cute. Except cows. But dog meat to a non dog lover is all the same with pork, beef etc. Maybe even more environmentally friendly if they are city strays.

1 Like

The same could be said for cows in some families here and throughout much of India. I, wouldn’t eat dog for different reasons.