Is there a newer (faster) model after ASUS RT-N13U?

Hello techies… :wink:

2 years ago i bought an ASUS RT-N13U, which I have used successfully in several countries with USB modems, but recently this machine has been getting increasingly flakey (this could well be heat related, since lately we’ve had rather high temperatures).

In any case, 2 years is a long time when it comes to IT, and since our optic fiber connection was upgraded to 1GB at the beginning of this year i am thinking it might be time to look for a newer model of this kind, a faster router that - like the RT N13U - comes with a USB port through which one can use to connect to the net via a USB modem.

If you have any related information or experience, i’d like to hear from you!
:thanks:

An USB modem with 1 Gbps connection? Can’t you use ethernet/wifi? There are many 1Gbps ethernet routers with n/ac wifi, I think it would be better to make the most out of your connection. Asus routers are fine, but I personally prefer Linksys.

Not really. :wink:

A router that can handle the new 1 Gigabit standard and that also has a port for a USB modem - the two parameters are not related, but i prefer to buy one router over buying two. The Asus RT-N13U belongs to the 300MBit generation, and it was fast enough for me, but it needs to be replaced, and it is no use buying the same “old” router again when everybody is already geared up for a much faster environment…

That’s what i usually use when i’m not traveling. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments!

Not entirely sure what exactly you need but we just started working with this guys and it is an amazing product, not only for home but also when you travel, very easy to setup up straight on that LCD screen without needing another device and also works as range extender, etc.

http://www.securifi.com/almondplus

Maybe that’s something you were thinking of…

Thanks for the info… sounds interesting. It looks like the Almond+ (like its predecessor) doesn’t have a USB port, though… do you have more info than what is on the page (which is pretty detailed, mind you)?

It is an upcoming project for us so I didn’t went into all the details but I can check regarding the connectors. Will try to get more technical documentation from them for you then.

Where is the brand loyalty? You had been happy with ASUS so why not check out their offering? :slight_smile:

Personally I think it’s one of the 3 best routers on the market atm.

asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/

[quote=“Miklos”]Where is the brand loyalty? You had been happy with ASUS so why not check out their offering? :slight_smile:

asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/[/quote]

that is one slick looking router!

[quote=“Miklos”]Where is the brand loyalty? You had been happy with ASUS so why not check out their offering? :slight_smile:

asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/[/quote]
Do you think it’s worth replacing an RT-N16 with an RT-AC66U? I don’t think I have any devices that would make use of the greater WiFi bandwidth. But I’m wondering if there’s some other advantage that would make it worth upgrading.

If you don’t have ac devices then you’ll fall back to n anyway so speed will probably not change and I can’t say the range will increase, all I know is that the 66 has amazing range.

The highend ASUS devices like 13 and 66 do tend to run warm so if it’s in the sun or in an small area where it can’t cycle the air it could become ‘flakey’ :slight_smile:

[quote=“Miklos”]If you don’t have ac devices then you’ll fall back to n anyway so speed will probably not change and I can’t say the range will increase, all I know is that the 66 has amazing range.

The highend ASUS devices like 13 and 66 do tend to run warm so if it’s in the sun or in an small area where it can’t cycle the air it could become ‘flakey’ :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks for this information!
It confirms something i had suspected: it’s true that this flakeyness had been a problem on rather hot days, and since i eventually moved the router to a cooler place and also reduced the output level of the wireless from 100% to 50% (the signal upstairs was still sufficient that way), this flakeyness has been occurring quite rarely since - i’d say once every few weeks… maybe the router is still OK, after all. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: