Is there a Portuguese Consulate in Taipei?

I googled Portuguese Consulate in Taipei but couldn’t find any, anyone knows which Portuguese Consulate jurisdiction Taiwan belonged to? Another related question: if my son is a Portuguese citizen, can I become Portuguese citizen as well?

Apparently, they have no diplomatic representation here. They do in Hong Kong; that seems like a good bet.

I think their consulate in Macau is in charge of Taiwan’s affair.
Taiwan has a representative office in Lisbon, though.

Thanks for your reply. I went to Portuguese foreign affair’s site, but it showed only consulate in Macau, it did not show the one in HK, I’ll check again, maybe I missed it.

[quote=“Gain”]I think their consulate in Macau is in charge of Taiwan’s affair.
Taiwan has a representative office in Lisbon, though.[/quote]
Thanks for your reply. That’s what I thought too, I’ll try to contact them for additional information. This is weird, I thought that the representations are always reciprocal, if country A has representation in country B, country B has also representation in country A, it seems this is not always true.

The answer is no. To begin with, it wouldn’t be a “consulate” anyway (due to the lack of diplomatic recognition thing), it would have to be a trade and cultural affairs office, or something like that. No, there’s not one of those either, although they’ve been talking about opening one for years.

Taiwanese don’t need a visa to visit Schengen countries such as Portugal, so that removes one big need for consular services. For Portuguese who need to renew their passports or something, you might check with the Spanish trade office in Taipei: embassypages.com/missions/embassy16195/

A different country, I realize, but they’d surely know where to send you. In case of emergency, note that the citizens of any EU member state are entitled to the consular services (presumably this also applies to pseudo-embassies) of any other EU member state: ec.europa.eu/consularprotection/

It’s actually quite common.

Thanks, you learn something new everyday.

[quote=“Zla’od”]The answer is no. To begin with, it wouldn’t be a “consulate” anyway (due to the lack of diplomatic recognition thing), it would have to be a trade and cultural affairs office, or something like that. No, there’s not one of those either, although they’ve been talking about opening one for years.

Taiwanese don’t need a visa to visit Schengen countries such as Portugal, so that removes one big need for consular services. For Portuguese who need to renew their passports or something, you might check with the Spanish trade office in Taipei: embassypages.com/missions/embassy16195/

A different country, I realize, but they’d surely know where to send you. In case of emergency, note that the citizens of any EU member state are entitled to the consular services (presumably this also applies to pseudo-embassies) of any other EU member state: ec.europa.eu/consularprotection/[/quote]
Thanks for your reply, I think that makes sense.

I just learned about it. This is rather annoying.

I wonder if it has to do with strong PRC influence in Portugal.

probably not, i think its more likely to be a budget issue. overseas offices cost lots of money, and if there isnt a substantial Portuguese population or significant trade relations they prob decided to save the costs.

1 Like

Yes, in most cases the absence of a Diplomatic Office of some kind can be for financial reasons rather than Diplomatic. For instance, Australia has its own offices in only about 100 countries - there are just under 200 UN members. Apparently there is an arrangement between Australia and Canada to look after each others interests in some countries, while an Embassy in one Country can also look after affairs in some neighbours as well. (The OZ Embassy in Malta looks after Tunisia as well for example).

Oddly, while Australia and Switzerland have Diplomatic Relations, there is no Australian Embassy in Switzerland, the Berlin Embassy apparently covers Switzerland (and Liechtenstein) too. But, there is an Australian Consulate-General in Geneva (probably to do with the UN).

1 Like