Is there an English Christian church in Tainan? (English speaking, not necessarily Anglican)

I have little interest in Biblical fundamentalist rantings about Catholicism. And yes, if you tailor the definition of “Christian” to neatly exclude Catholics, then by that irrelevant definition, Catholics are not Christians. But all of that is nonsensical to any reasonable person using the common sense meaning of the term “Christian”.

The only people who don’t think Catholicism is a Christian sect are Bible thumping morons who also believe the earth is 6000 years and man walked with the T-rex. They have the same mindset as the Zhengjue Buddhists who think Tibetan Buddhists aren’t Buddhists. Frankly, that kind ignorance and bigotry isn’t worth my time. Catholics are Christians. Mainstream Protestants are Christians. Bible thumping fundamentalist idiots are Christians.

You know what would really confuse people…? Eastern Orthodoxy!

“Are you a Catholic or a Christian?”

“More like a cross between Daoism and Jedi.”

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spitzig”]The answers from all three quotes show their biases. The first and third both consider themselves to be the True Christians. Others are heretics.
Number 2 was less biased, though I would add to this statement:

What are you on about?
read the original post:

Simple question. The answer appears to be - YES.[/quote]
Yes, but the thread has taken a new course. It should be split off. Maybe the mod is waiting to see where it’s going first. No harm being done.

1 Like

Actually I thought that this argument had run its course. If people want to start it afresh, I suggest making a new thread.

That’s what I thought. :idunno:

Anyway. Quite a few Christian Churches in Tainan that use English, both Catholic and Protestant.

[quote=“Zla’od”]Guys, you should know by now that this “Catholic / Christian” distinction is a Chinese translation problem. No need to get so defensive about it. (Anyway, the Pope’s a tough guy and can take care of himself.)

The obvious follow-up is, what kind of church are you looking for–mainline (like Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.)? Evangelical? Charismatic?[/quote]

I always thought it was 90% an American evangelical problem? Bthough they seem to have imported that here together with the Protestant happy churches.

There is a larger proportion of Christians here than anywhere else in Taiwan, so I’m sure there’ll be a church that suits the OP. But there are many, many types of Protestant Christian churches, I hope OP found the right one!

[quote=“spitzig”]Some Protestants claim that Catholics are not Christians. It is a method of attack.

The definition of Christian is “one who follows the Christ”(as in his teachings). This is specifically about a belief in forgiveness, although that is pretty standard among Christians. I need to note that Christ is not a name-it’s a title meaning something like Messiah. So, use of this name also suggests a belief that Jesus was prophesied by God.[/quote]

I just have to add that there’s even Roman Catholics who don’t consider Protestants, Christian. There’s even Roman Catholic priests who refused to honor the sacraments to Christians who are not baptized within the RC church; however, I do not know if that is a church policy/law issue (hence theological) or the personal theological issue of the priest in question.

I say it goes both ways, and the best way is to educate and accept with open hearts.

[quote=“spitzig”]The answers from all three quotes show their biases. The first and third both consider themselves to be the True Christians. Others are heretics.

Number 2 was less biased, though I would add to this statement:

I also find it funny that in the past some of my Roman Catholic friends are also just as confused as the term. Some of them would say, I am Catholic! not Christian, and I would end up like :ohreally:
And I agree that some people don’t even like the term catholic (note the small case letter) because they thought it was Catholic and have their own little definition of it.

That is simply nonsense. No Catholic refers to him or herself as NOT Christian. If anything, Protestantism is viewed as a bastardized form of Christianity, with Catholicism preserving the truest form of that faith.

Second attempt. I’ll abbreviate rather than risk losing my post again :slight_smile:

Afraid you’re wrong. I recall my mother telling me a story about a lady she worked with declaring I’M NOT A CHRISTIAN, I am a Catholic. That was decades ago. Clearly being RC is not the same as being Christian in the eyes of some of its members, let alone those outside it. Christians (upper case) follow Christ and the Bible, christians (lower case) tick a box on the census form, and Catholics follow the Pope, Mary and um Tradition.

Sorry, but I wouldn’t be saying it if I haven’t experienced it myself. I was confused and in disbelieve myself thinking that my friends (2 RC friends in High school) would make that such a statement. I just take it that he mean something else. As I stated before, some RCs are just as confused as the terms as the non-Romans are.

[quote=“Gao Bohan”]I have little interest in Biblical fundamentalist rantings about Catholicism. And yes, if you tailor the definition of “Christian” to neatly exclude Catholics, then by that irrelevant definition, Catholics are not Christians. But all of that is nonsensical to any reasonable person using the common sense meaning of the term “Christian”.

The only people who don’t think Catholicism is a Christian sect are Bible thumping morons who also believe the earth is 6000 years and man walked with the T-rex. They have the same mindset as the Zhengjue Buddhists who think Tibetan Buddhists aren’t Buddhists. Frankly, that kind ignorance and bigotry isn’t worth my time. Catholics are Christians. Mainstream Protestants are Christians. Bible thumping fundamentalist idiots are Christians.[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

There are so many smiley faces applauding I have a head ache. That took you a week from the last post or did you have nothing to say?

I thought it was a wonderful, spot on post, didn’t need anything else added.

And I just read the thread for the first time, hence the delay.

Tainan International community Church

Sunday 4:30 pm

Add: No.12, Ln. 120, Dongning Rd., East Dist., Tainan City 70146, Taiwan 東寧教會1F Dongning Presbyterian Church

Tainan International community Church
Sunday 4:30 pm
Add: No.12, Ln. 120, Dongning Rd., East Dist., Tainan City 70146, Taiwan 東寧教會1F Dongning Presbyterian Church

1 Like

Wow, this is from a VERY long time ago.

Thank you!

DG Cayse

Holiness English Church
Every Sunday morning in AnPing

Check out our website

On Facebook search - “Holiness English Church”

All are welcome :smile:

I know a local Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Tainan which has an English group that meets in the chapel upstairs. I haven’t seen a nursery room in there because I have only been there twice.

Looking for a Roman Catholic English service in Anping on Sunday mornings. I am slowly working my way through the English list of church services on catholic.org.tw and so far have found 2 such morning masses in the city but haven’t yet checked if they are in AnPing.

Plmk if you know or if you go.