Is there any Linux Guru here?

Hello!

Could someone teach me how to install Linux (preferably Debian Sarge or Gentoo or Ubuntu) on my Toshiba M30X-115 laptop. So far I’ve been unable to install any Debian-based distro on this

Can you be more specific? What problems do you have exactly?
If you’re a beginner, forget about Gentoo, and even Debian Sarge.

With Ubuntu, you shouldn’t have any major problem.

BTW, Suse 10.0 was released yesterday. This is one of the most user-friendly distributions out there, and it has the best hardware support (for me, at least).
The Taiwanese mirror already has the first three ISOs, and I guess they will have the other two sometime today:
ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Linux/SuSE/i386/10.0/iso/
Or you can try a Japanese mirror:
ftp.riken.jp/Linux/suse/suse/i386/10.0/iso/
There’s also a 1 CD install here:
opensuse.linux.co.nz/ftp/pub/SUPER/iso/
(get super-openSUSE-final-20051003-standard-kde.iso)

[quote=“Andre”]Can you be more specific? What problems do you have exactly?
If you’re a beginner, forget about Gentoo, and even Debian Sarge.

With Ubuntu, you shouldn’t have any major problem.[/quote]

same problem with any Debian-based distro, and also with Fedora: install CD or DVD starts and suddenly… black screen, nothing, nada! Can’t even access the first installation screen – generally the one on which you choose the installation language.

[quote=“Andre”]BTW, Suse 10.0 was released yesterday. This is one of the most user-friendly distributions out there, and it has the best hardware support (for me, at least).
[/quote]

I’ve tried live version of Suse: it didn’t work very well on my computer.

Somebody just told me that it’s maybe some ACPI problem, can’t say I’m not a Linux Guru nor a Technology God :frowning:

Thanks for your answer and if you know how to solve a no-sound problem on Mandriva 2005 then maybe I can use this one instead of Ubuntu.

Mandriva is a great distro, but it does have a really bad habit of setting your volume control to zero by default (and re-defaulting on each reboot).

Are you absolutely sure this isn’t what’s happening? Is the soundcard detected (does it appear in the list of hardware?)?

I’ve solved just about every Madriva issue I’ve had by finding someone with the same problem here: http://mandrivausers.org/

Everything usually works on every distro in the end, i.e. when you manually run the appropriate configuretool (or do it manually) afterwards. What usually fails are various forms of autodetection.
Hence I would advice you to turn off alot of features before a laptop install when you boot it, by e.g. adding nousb noacpi or usb=off etc ,whatever the distro’s bootdisk/cd syntax is, to the kernel options

YingFan

Have you tried any of the flavors of Knoppix on it yet? It’s derived from Debian, and if the LiveCD version will boot and run everything properly, you can then do a hard-drive installation that, once done, will let you use the standard Debian CDs to install any more apps that you might want. (And of course if it doesn’t work from CD, just don’t install and you can try something else.)

Don’t use 3.9, and I heard 3.8 is bad also – they switched to a different USB driver which behaves badly at least with flash storage devices. I haven’t been able to find 4.0 to try it yet.

Knoppix 3.7 works perfectly on the machines I have tried it on, except that it sends sound output to the microphone jack on the sound card in my ASUS desktop box. I usually run it from CD but also have installed it to disk.

Morphix is another good distribution, and doesn’t have the weird sound-card issue. It is slimmer and is usually a little further behind than Knoppix.

I recommend Mepis GNU/Linux. It comes off the disk with tons of goodies and an ultra-handy system recovery tool. (If your x-settings get mangled or your boot installer gets corrupted somehow, you can just pop in the CD and fix them in one click.)

Version 3.3.2 even allows you to create your own “on the go” CD.

The only potential drawback is that although it’s Debian-based, certain packages have been altered exclusively for Mepis, packages that are not part of the stable Debian repositories. However, if you value stability, it’s waiting for you. :slight_smile: