Is there anyone who shops at Kaohsiung Costco in this forum?

[quote=“Shaun008, post:20, topic:186446, full:true”]

So true!!

If there was another place to buy cheese for addicted fiends i would never need to go again! Carrefour just doesnt understand that market.

Im not a big fan of strong cheese so it don’t really affect me, but I’m surprised an American chain has better cheese than a French one.

1 Like

They haven’t had pumpkin pies for quite a while now. Shame.

It doesn’t. Carrefour has way better cheese selection. You don’t have to buy massive blocks of the stuff either.

1 Like

I have to disagree here.

The Grana Padano, Parmesan, Smoked Gouda and many others are way better than anything at Carrefour.

A scant few will be better, along with the fact you have to buy massive chunks of the stuff.
I like European cheese, if it ain’t real European…Well :grin:. Look it’s not like either are high end. :grinning:

2 Likes

The carrefours up there must be nice. Down here we have plastic cheese slices, anchor and related bags of shredded pizza cheese. Kraft style “parmasen” and the odd sandwich cheese and disgusting circle japanese sugar stuff. Thats a good selection…costco has far more. I buy a few kg everytime i go back. And it seems to disappear faster than i will admit.

Good point on french stores not catching up to american. But the american thing is due to WAY too much milk production so they can export a crap load of fairly cheap cheese everywhere.

They said today they have a supply shortage. Pumpkin one would suspect

They have in the past years, not sure right now as it’s something I do not buy in Taiwan.

[quote=“Brianjones, post:24, topic:186446, full:true”]
It doesn’t. Carrefour has way better cheese selection. You don’t have to buy massive blocks of the stuff either.
[/quote] Yes, no small packs, you have go full service Cheese shops here at Jason’s for small 50g cut sizes but you pay more per gram. But it does seem in Kaoshiung, there is more choices than the Costco in Melbourne/Sydney which I find interesting. (Maybe since domestic cheese is limited , more imported choices)

Pumpkin in Taiwan is controlled by just three ‘businesses’ I was informed. Seems to have become more popular. I ate some recently was pretty good… lizi pumpkins .

Jason’s has the best cheeses. They have their own cheese counter.

And yes, the Costco near K-Arena is the one I regularly go to. I have no idea if they sell pumpkin pies though. I buy steaks, muffins and Greek yogurt there on the reg.

1 Like

For future reference, the northern one appears to have stock that the Southern one doesn’t. I wasn’t able to find a pumpkin pie there but they did have several things that I had been looking for in the southern one - not Staples, some of the weirder and clearly temporary items which the south one stopped stocking (My general impression was that they order enough to stock both stores, then if it doesn’t sell well in the south they just ship the access to the north) – and, most importantly, they had eggnog where the southern one did not yet.

Notably, The north also has a wider selection of pastries-also including things that the southern one stopped stocking-and although I’m not a big fan, on first glance it looks like they had a lot more candy/chocolates/that kind of thing (again, including things formerly stocked in the south).

In summary, the southern one is perfectly fine for staples and more normal Food, but the northern one is where you are more likely to find interesting stuff and probably has a closer to complete selection relative to those lucky people in Taipei.

For you Cheeseheads, they also had this variety pack of like 5 to 10 different kinds of cheeses vacuum sealed (whole blocks/sections, not like a cheese tray). Maybe that’s coming to Taipei or already there. And for the same group, I have found really good foreign cheese selections in the basement of department stores. It varies widely from store to store, and some don’t have any, but you may go there to check it out, especially for blue cheese, but I kind of get tunnel vision when I see blue cheese; I’m sure there are plenty of other specialty ones there too.

Thanks for this thread @tando

2 Likes

Wait. They have eggnog? Guess im driving west tomorrow. To visit the inlaws…

Sorry buddy, they’re already out. They told me they don’t plan to reorder but that wouldn’t be the first time they misinformed me. I know 100% neither Costco in Kaohsiung has it at the moment.

They still have the liquorized version.

The egg nog seems to be a one-time seasonal order. You have to get it while the getting is good

Well sh*t! I literally just parked my car and was going to walk over…now need to chat with inlaws…liquor version it shall be.

Southern and original Costco. Is Philadelphia Cheese in the two tub box or any configuration still there?
I asked someone to pick it up for me but they said they couldn’t find it. It was there in the refrigerator case facing the meat for the last 20 years. Did they suddenly stop selling bit in Taiwan?

I’ve never come across Philadelphia cream cheese in either Costco and I’d definitely buy it if I saw it.

Just finished my bi-monthly costco run. Northern store as thats where family lives.

With wife and mom being the dumb country boy i am, damn near skipping into the bakery section. I know by now how to spot the dude in charge at box stores (my only victory tonight). Walk back smile and ask away for pumpkin pie. They are very polite they check the back room come out an apologize, in english no less, sold out. Have more soon? No. very sorry. F*ck. Thats fine.

Ask about egg nog with another enthusiastic dude there. Puts up with my wrong chinese on that one (how do we say it properly here, non alcoholic type?). Gets his phone out to figure it out. Wife and mom come over, but cant help cause they just called it basically sweet spice alcoholic milk. Anyway, brought the, i assume floor manager or stocking guy, out to really confrim the name and go back and check. Gitty like a little school girl he comes out red faced and shaking his head.

F*ck 2 times. I asked him very nicely to confirm they wont be ordering more. This went on for 20 minutes and they are VERY VERY sure no more eggnog this year. And yes, i did bring up new years is just days away so maybe in 2 weeks (next year)…still no. I asked about after chinese new year? Laughs all around, except me, and i left.

So i left with some liters of vodka and a friggen frozen 2 pillow disaster made by someone probably as old as my daughter.
cant even drink the vodka as its for work. :expressionless:

Feeling grinchy. Have to settle for 711 beer and oily soy bean shop slop across the street.

1 Like