Is there discrimination here? Is it a concern?

There should be distinctions in terms of rights, benefits, privileges and obligations between work-based Visa holders, permanent residents, and citizens. Which countries give everyone the same rights and benefits regardless of their residency status?

2 Likes

Not really. It just means most people are complacent. Many people are busy with family and work and have little energy left in them for any push back. Or they have their wife doing everything for them and don’t see any issues

This is a valid point–having a TW spouse definitely makes things a lot easier.

But I would still maintain that if the degree of discrimination were that severe there would be more of an organized push back against it. If people are complacent isn’t that a sign that they don’t face a lot of discrimination, or at least that it’s not that bad?

You’re just dreamers.

Well, the SouthEast Asians that live here are treated horribly. And there is not much pushback from them either. I guess that means they aren’t discriminated against very badly either?

3 Likes

Different cases I believe. SE Asians are treated as second class citizens in TW and face a lot of discrimination. I don’t believe this is the case among Western Foreigners, at least it’s far less.

We are also clearly second class as well, but in a different way. Your milage may vary

5 Likes

fify

Majority of foreigners in Taiwan are SE Asians.

2 Likes

My guess is that he seems interested only in privileged probably NOrth American white people.

2 Likes

1.5 I’d say. But not entirely part of it either. I mostly agree with you, but can’t compare situations being there as a Western Foreigner vs. being a SE Asian worker.

1 Like

Or they leave

2 Likes

I doubt most Western foreigners that leave do so because they feel the legal discrimination against them is too much.

It was one of the reasons I left.

4 Likes

But that’s not the way that it works. You’re not a citizen and even if you’re an APRC holder, in areas where it counts, you’re still treated more as a guest than a citizen.

People who choose to stay under these circumstances basically have no choice but to accept it unless they want to waste their years fighting against a system that doesn’t care.

For what it’s worth, having lived abroad in other places, I’d say that Taiwan is hardly the best when when it comes to treatment of foreign residents but it’s hardly the worst too.

4 Likes

It’s like being oppressed.

2 Likes

Asked and answered in another thread. Mostly issues related to education (though I understand the situation is better now) and citizenship.

Can you link then, I’d like to read up so I know what you mean. thanks

Can’t recall the thread. It was one that went off topic. Maybe the one about the confrontational coworker? But, basically, reasons for leaving were that our kids, who were born in Taiwan, were not guaranteed admission to public schools back then. Also that the only way for us to become citizens would be to to renounce our original citizenship. These were not the only reasons we left but were contributing factors.

3 Likes

Not really. You have a choice as to where to live.

Now I get that some of the posters here met a woman, got married, etc., but that’s the thing: when you meet someone who isn’t from your country and you decide to tie the knot with the understanding that you’ll be living in their country, you’re signing up to deal with whatever that entails.

3 Likes

yeah, like oppression.

we do it for love

1 Like