Is there discrimination here? Is it a concern?

Very good points.

NHI for babies of parents on employment based ARC too.

2 Likes

There’s a lot less of that than there was, especially in the cities.

Have they changed this?- I’ve had a credit card in my name for 20 years.

Mine was via the wife, but I’ve been away. Seems that it is still true. It’s just one example though.

imo, most of systematic discriminations against foreigners in Taiwan are this type of ignorance of foreign residents in community, except for spouses of citizens.

1 Like

Does anyone have a link to any government department where we might be able to make a complaint about discriminatory/racist behaviour?

1 Like

1999 is the hotline for any city government related complaints.

1 Like

Wow, I took most of my money out of national banks and moved it to SC because they treated me so well. Why do services vary so much here depending on the staff that services you here? I have both a savings account and credit card with Standard Chartered and everything has been working fine so far, I can pass you the agent who handled my paperwork (I have her card somewhere at home).

3 Likes

Because the corporate culture starts from the top , allied with very poor customer service training , same old ways of doing things in most institutions for fifty years (the few foreign companies quickly become localised to compete ) , with weak enforcement of laws against discrimination allows this to happen.

4 Likes

This is the reason I never applied for a CITI credit card, they were always outside the viewshow cinemas and in years of going there, they never dared to even say hi.

3 Likes

Somebody should video it as it’s a very real thing. Profiling by race.
To this day one of my favourite things is being asked by strangers for directions.

^^^ hahaha I get asked for directions all the time, even by random people riding scooters and I’ve always been able to guide them.

2 Likes

The sad thing is they say only white people profile by race. Then there was that bullshit term reverse racism to excuse why other races were being racist. It’s just shitty behaviour. Usually learned from family members and the environment they grew up in or work in.

3 Likes

The worst thing is that it makes all the work that those that make us feel welcome and enjoy our presence seem pointless.

2 Likes

That seems to be only for Taipei City Government complaints. This is a MoE PPP (public private partnership) enterprise attached to a school.

Citi was the only company that would give me a card without a guarantor (around 2012?).

I went over to them finally 8 years ago at the movie theater after being ignored all the other times. The guy finally agreed to fill out the paperwork after originally saying he didn’t think it would go through.

Citi rules have changed over the years. For some they asked for a 3 month locked in deposit, for me they said you had to live in Taiwan for 5 years first. Others applied and got it first try. I’m sure the rules have changed again

3 Likes

In 14 years I have never been asked for a guarantor for a credit card and was denied once by CTBC with the old “foreigners cannot apply for credit cards” back in 2013.

I’m sure they have, my wife actually applied for one. The agent asked me if I have a TW credit cards, I said yes. Until then he asked if I wanted to apply for one, for which I politely refused by saying I already have too many cards.

By the way, they gave my wife like 3 times her monthly salary in credit and she barely has any savings and not amazing credit history. the perks of being a citizen…

2 Likes