Is there no concept of a domestic connecting flight in Taiwan?

Yeah, I know it’s not a big country, but there are certainly some routes that require connections.

I’m trying to help a friend book a flight from Hualien to Penghu. Obviously I understand that there’s no direct service. I’ve tried all three possibilities:

• HUN-TSA-MZG (all through Uni Air)
  • HUN-RMQ-MZG (all through Mandarin Airlines)
  • HUN-KHH-MZG (all through Mandarin Airlines)

However, I can’t seem to book the flights on one ticket through either airline. So does my friend need to purchase two separate tickets and pick up her luggage in the middle and re-check her luggage in?

By the time you get through security and all that jazz, wouldn’t just be easier to take the train to Taipei?

1 Like

Yeah, I suggested that, but she’s moving to Penghu with a LOT of luggage and wants to try to avoid having to lug all that on the train. So that’s also why she also wants to avoid having to pick up her luggage and re-check it in at the connecting airport.

There is basically no security in TW. It takes five min tops and you can even bring liquids!

3 Likes

The bus has special luggage compartments.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look into the bus and suggest that to her!

or maybe send via local courier the bulk of the baggage and the go with the minimal by train to Taipei and the take the plane to Penghu (can get off at Nangang station, then via MTR to Songshan airport)

5 Likes

thank you! this also sounds good

Google flights shows it to be bookable as one ticket with a layover in Kaohsiung on Mandarin via Expedia or Gotogate.

TBH I think it would still not a real transfer. There is no connection section for domestic flights in any airport (TSA and TPE never seen it, I bet KHH is not different). Hence I guess it would be like you land, get your bags and check in to the next flight

Interesting - so I guess there really isn’t a concept of domestic transfers / connecting flights in Taiwan

Not really, domestic flights are a very strange creature here. They do not accrue mileage towards frequent flyer programmes and are quite sketchy to get award tickets. You don’t have any premium service related to your status (or very, very limited).

They seem like an afterthought at times

1 Like

With Taiwan as small as it is, one could be surprised there are flights within the island at all. What is there?

TSA<> Hualien, Taitung, Kinmen, Penghu, Mazu?
Kinmen <> anywhere on the East coast (no more trips from Kinmen <> Penghu or Mazu!)
Penghu <> anywhere on the East coast (also blocked from other outlying islands)
Mazu > TSA??

Basically, anywhere that isn’t serviced by HSR (except Yilan) has flights that take you to places that do have HSR. Though the outlying islands have gotten royally screwed over these past few months. It used to be there were flights from TSA to them every hour, from 6:50 am to 6:30 pm. Now theres like five flights a day total. And the price has gone up by like NT$500 each way…

Main train stations have shipping options. alternatively, post office and couriers here are quite fast, very reliable and pretty cheap. could send all her stuff hualien to penghu directly, and enjoy the ride.

the lack of Taiwan flight connections are probably due to how good and frequent the trains and busses are here. it wouldnt make any sense as a business model.

yeah, I kinda get that feeling as well

I mean, I get that domestic flights here in TW are short, but in Europe we have very short flights too, and they all come with all the same things as long-haul (at least if services by traditional full service airlines). We have in Italy flights of less than 1 hr, they all come with full mileage accrual, award spaces, connection.

It just seems so weird that if I take a domestic Eva flight (or with Uni Air) it doesn’t count at all towards my mileage or status with them.

1 Like