Is there some kind of disorder that makes your sweat smell like dirty baby wipes?

Believe it or not, I’m a sensitive gal, and I am particularly sensitive to smells. Nothing can disturb me quite like a smell I don’t like can, however barely detectable it might be.

Anyway, I have this coworker who does not “stink” in the traditional sense/have a body odor that would be offensive to the general public, but somehow he smells repulsive to me. It’s very hard to explain it; I did the best I could in the title, but I’m still not sure that’s quite right. The smell is vaguely sweet, but in a fecal sort of way. It kind of smells like hospitals in the sense that he smells unwell or imbalanced, but he doesn’t appear to have any obvious maladies.

Anyway, the smell itself is as bothersome as the fact that I can’t figure out why he smells like this (or why I’m reacting to his smell like this). If it turns out he has a condition, I’ll feel a bit bad about it, but at least I would know why. Unfortunately, nothing I’ve googled has enlightened me, so I’m left feeling both confused and disgusted.

What could it be??

Male Taiwanese no wash in morning no wear deodorant smell.

3 Likes

This is your sense of smell telling you the guy isn’t suitable mating material. Appears to be working as designed.

8 Likes

“The underlying theory is that you somehow select immune compatibility in a mate,” says Noam Sobel, an expert in olfaction and professor of neurobiology at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. The human version of the MHC, called the human leukocyte antigen, or HLA, is also linked to a large number of olfactory receptors and appears to be particularly important for how we smell other people. Like the MHC, the HLA has genes that influence how one’s immune system recognizes cells as belonging to oneself or an invader; HLA fit is one test used to determine whether or not an organ donor and recipient will be compatible.

1 Like

He’s white.

The possibility of this occurred to me, knowing body odor is related to the immune system. I just didn’t think it could be this extreme. What is he, my long lost brother or something?

Or maybe he’s shooting blanks…

Is he Canadian?

1 Like

Oh, shit!

3 Likes

Not sure. I don’t think so.

Trying to insult as many nationalities as I can here. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Can’t be the rona or I’da got got by now, having shared this enclosed space with him for this long.

1 Like

I went into this prepared for it to turn into the who stinks most thread.

3 Likes

I skimmed this same article recently when searching for an answer. It’s an interesting theory, and I have definitely liked people’s natural smells before. I just can’t remember the last time I had such a negative reaction to someone’s smell. He just smells wrong.

Maybe it’s his diet?

White people can smell like onions to me. This is my number one issue with dating white women in the past. Every race smells different to me. I guess my nose is racist or something.

6 Likes
1 Like

That’s the French, no contest. But we know he’s not French.

Ha, and I’ve always heard we smell like wet dogs, at least to black folks.

I wish we all could smell like freshly baked bread :bread: :yum:

2 Likes

I don’t have a strong smell in general, but when I eat onions it goes straight to my pits. No onions for this cow on date night.

So basically, like a yeast infection. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Is he obese?

In really hot weather I start to smell vinegary after a while sweating. Unpleasant even to me so best I avoid the MRT this summer.