Is this beer "famous" in its country?

This thread is starting to remind me of a certain Zappa song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzzWEeiUf3Y

That’s what I was thinking. Some of the beers are pretty good, though. But I’ve sampled just about everything there and I’m eager for a change (c’mon summer 7-11/Family Mart beers!). But the small selection at Simple Mart is good to have around, especially with their prices.

1 Like

I have bought some (famous) Czech beer pivo there as well as some totally unknown to me Polish (I think) beer. Sometimes I see a can with a huge discount (due date close, or damaged can for example) and I can’t resist buying it.

1 Like

Costco has been out of the “winter season” Kirkland Craft Beers for a while meow. Eagerly waiting the next round and curious to see what flavor they have for the “summer season” set.

1 Like

On a side note (still beer related), if you have any of those “almost/about to expire” type of shops near you, check them out. A buddy found one in Zhongyuan (Zhongli) that had several of those large cans of Hop-bot IPA for NT$29! Expiration date was still a few months away.

From what I understand, expiration dates can be ignored (within limits). As long as the beer hasn’t been sitting in the sunlight, it should be okay to get near and even past the expiration date by a few months. And with can beer, you should be sure okay with the sunlight issue. So that 18 day thing is all a gimmick.

I think the 18 day thing is just a suggestion. Nonetheless, I have had a few bottles of 18 days sitting in my fridge for over a month and it tasted a tid bit off. Just not as thirst quenching…I assume it’s mostly me.

1 Like

Regarding expiration dates, I bought from Carrefour a bunch of tall cans of Pilsner Urquell, one of my favorite beers, that were very close to their expiration date and wow what a mistake. Never again!

The cans of PU have always seemed off to me compared to the bottles.

YES. MY WIFE CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS.

“But IbisWtf, why do you think that beer in cans and bottles taste different…they’re all the same…”

NO THEY AREN’T.

Faq:

Q: “Does your wife call you IbisWtf in private?”
A: “Yes”

Q: “Why?”
A: “Yes”

2 Likes

Could you please provide a pronunciation guide? Thank you.

2 Likes

You sure it’s not, “Ibis, WTF?”

Everyone says cans are better, but I don’t know. I do avoid green and clear glass though.

Edit: I meant, “Ibis, what the fuck?”

1 Like

Urquell is guilty there. It’s dark green though. Can’t say it troubles me

It is, isn’t it? well, so much for my rules…

I was about to say, “I don’t care for that one,” but with that price tag, I’ll drink it.

1 Like

This is true for big brand beer brands, as they pasteurise their beer during the packaging process.

For craft beer, you need to be a bit more careful. If beer is left unpasteurised and not handled well, you can get all kind of funky off-flavours, cloudiness or flocks.

What kind of fowl are we talking about here?

I can recommend Flensburger Pils. Sold at Shin guang and Carrefour.

2 Likes

It says Germany guys:

Interesting. Seems the united dutch breweries sources their beers for this brand https://www.uniteddutchbreweries.com/project/weidmann/ (“weidmann” is an old fashioned word for hunter, by the way) from several breweries.

I happen to have studied and lived near that Eichbaum (“Oak tree”) Brewery, in picturesque ugly (thanks to efficient carpet bombing and overly hasty reconstruction) Mannheim. To summarize, this brewery is kind of famous… infamous actually. They do sell their own brand, and once I even found that in Taiwan if I remember correctly. They do sell under lots of other brands as well though.

Anyway, now for the fun part: as far as the stereotype goes, a beer can only be as good as it’s water. Well, not only is Mannheim an industrial town, with the rhine river water known best for it’s content of the vital vitamins B,A,S and F… But also the brewery is right next to Mannheim’s huge central cemetery :face_vomiting: No wonder their beers commonly get nicknamed “corpse water”, “graveyard brew” or their brand name gets mutilated to Leichbaum (“corpse tree”): Privatbrauerei Eichbaum – Wikipedia

Eichbaum

Well, Prost! is all I can say :rofl: :beers:

6 Likes