Is this beer "famous" in its country?

Awesome information. Thanks!

1 Like

Another one. This is from a year ago, so I don’t remember where I got it:

P_20170823_231738

This one is actually quite famous in germany. I never tried it though.

You mean the Wernesgruner, right?

Yes. Have you tried bear beer?

Here is another interesting beer from Germany. Two sorts of Leikeim, found in RT-mart in Hsinchu.

Leikeim

This one is a brewery from Franconia in Bavaria. This region is famous for its beers, where every good village is supposed to be proud of its local brewery. Leikeim is the biggest brand in the region, so it is (in)famous in this region, but not in the rest of Germany. However, checking their website, they now try to establish a foothold on the international market.
Elitist country bumpkins in Franconia prefer the even smaller breweries, but in my opinion it’s still a good and typical beer.

3 Likes

A year ago.

Awesome, I’ll try it if I find it. Price?

I think it was 70-80 a bottle. Bought it 1 or 2 months ago and did not go to the RT-mart since. But it’s possible they always have it, as a friend of mine also bought it there a longer time ago.

33cl or 66cl?

half a litre.

Random question, but can you guys taste the difference between the Taiwan Beer and the 18 days one?

Taiwan Beer vs Taiwan Beer Gold Medal vs Taiwan Beer 18 days

Yes. There’s a difference.

Wernesgrüner is not a tiny brewery either, but this time from eastern Germany. Quite well known, and by far not as bad a reputation as central-west Eichbaum (my first ex was from nearby Zwickau, so I had my fair share of this beer). Their dark beer is not so well known though, no idea why people always think of dark beer when thinking Germany… but their Pils is quite OK I think. The only dark beer from east Germany that is quite famous would be Köstritzer - and they even mention Taiwan on their page :smiley: https://www.bitburger-international.com/koestritzer/storia/

1 Like

Sure, it tastes even more like water.

1 Like

Yes, they’re all lame in their own way. :sunglasses:

1 Like

All different for me too. 18 days really hits the spot in summer. I almost never opt to buy Taiwan beer anymore, but often, it’s the best choice at restaurants. And again, 18 days really does for me with at these times. Good with meals, that is. I think I would crave it if I couldn’t get it anymore.

2 Likes

Yes. 18 days tastes like it’s within a few weeks of being brewed. A bit fresher.

Speaking of beer… I had a very heavy lunch and if I had any room left in my stomach I would definitively fill it out with that watery beer… I’m thirsty as F!

So… this thread is a bit of a research game. If you guys have found something that looks fancy and comes from abroad, but are not sure about if that’s the shit or just shit, don’t be shy and post it here. for the moment this is revolving around German beers too much, but we can change it, right?