Is this English?

A quote from the TT:

Can’t make sense of it …

should be “wAnt”

many want to follow suit … but not ‘are want to’

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003316143

Many people do use “in wont of”. Are they mistaken?

bartleby.com/61/68/W0206800.html

wont is correct. not used much anymore …

Not english in any commonly recognizable form.

At least as is used today. Perhaps some rural dialect from the 15th century. Possibly Shakespearean.

It is English, but probably not been used for 100 years.

wont
adj.

1. Accustomed or used: “The poor man is wont to complain that this is a cold world” (Henry David Thoreau).
  2. Likely: chaotic as holidays are wont to be.

It’s fine. Wont means accustomed to.

wont

PRONUNCIATION: wônt, wnt, wnt
ADJECTIVE: 1. Accustomed or used: “The poor man is wont to complain that this is a cold world” (Henry David Thoreau). 2. Likely: chaotic as holidays are wont to be.

NOUN: Customary practice; usage. See synonyms at habit.
VERB: Inflected forms: wont or wont·ed, wont·ing, wonts

TRANSITIVE VERB: To make accustomed to.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To be in the habit of doing something.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, past participle of wonen, to be used to, dwell. See won1.

HG

wont is the type of word one expects to find among the more literate English speakers, not American pop-culture intellectual giants like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears.

Well that sets me on par with Paris, doesn’t it …

Come on guys this is normal everyday ENGLISH. How can you bitch about a word just because they don’t use it in your 'hood (sic)?

Well that sets me on par with Paris, doesn’t it …[/quote]

Not quite. Afterall, by asking you show a desire to learn. That alone sets you apart from the Paris Hilton’s of the world, who feel their gravitas precludes any need to expand their intellectual horizons. Why else would the general gender salivate in anticipation of her next pearl of wisdom?

Agree with HG and Mr. Poe,

I can’t say I’d use it in everyday conversation, but the word didn’t make me reach for the dick ‘n’ harry…now that might get some folks going :slight_smile:

L.

Ha! One is wont to become a bit smug in the face of such ignorance. I look forward to the usual debate about the US education system.

Well that sets me on par with Paris, doesn’t it …[/quote]

Not quite. Afterall, by asking you show a desire to learn. That alone sets you apart from the Paris Hilton’s of the world, who feel their gravitas precludes any need to expand their intellectual horizons. Why else would the general gender salivate in anticipation of her next pearl of wisdom?[/quote]

these quotes are so sexy

I’m often wont to make lewd comments about Paris Hilton’s bedroom shenannigans.
It’s a fairly commonly used word. But then someone just yesterday didn’t know what “laconic” meant, so what do I know?

What?

Ok, could havemade you look for it but here we are: -

I hope it wasn’t an Australian, especialy a Queenslander, since most of 'em are laconic.

HG

I’m quite used to using this as a noun and adj., e.g., “Of course I’ll spend hours looking up every obsolete character, as is my wont” and “Maya is basking in the sun again, as she is wont to do” respectively. I grew up hearing this from my mom, and in the media, and reading it. It strikes me as a common word, but then again, I’m a bookworm. :stuck_out_tongue: