Is this OK or should I look at something else?

I’m searching for a bicycle for use on the riverside paths, it will only ever been on them and never on the road, primary purpose is for exercise and sometimes cycle with kids so need to be able to carry things too.

I found this one on Decathlon https://www.decathlon.tw/en/cycling-c300910.html?___from_store=en for under 13,000 nt, it looks like it has everything I need and is quite reasonable price. The part I don’t like is the gears, people told me that the twist type gear selectors on the handlebars are very low end and will be a problem in the future with stickiness.

Do you guys have better recommendations in this price range or any experience with the Decathlon one? It will only be on the river paths, must have mudguards and lots of places to carry water and stuff the kids might need plus be very reliable. It will just be used at weekends at most. Budget is around 15,000 but could go to 20,000 for something really nice. Prefer not second hand as I already had a very bad experience buying something broken. I am 184cm with long arms so need at least an L for comfort.

I bought this bike 2 weeks ago. Added a riser for the handlebars and mud flaps. All total including a helmet $14,000. Has more gears than I’ll ever need. Really a fine bike.

I don’t like grip shifters, but you won’t change gears very often in the riverside paths riding with kids. If they give you problems in the future, a pair of brake levers with 7 speed shifters is really cheap and any shop will install them for little money.

The quill stem type, meh.

Overall, I think it is a good bike for the intended purpose. Maybe a bit expensive, but it already has mudguards and dynamo lights, so I would say it is a fair price, only slightly higher than in Europe.

Whatever the case, I would avoid any kind of suspension. For your price range and the use you want to give it to the bike, suspension will give you more problems than advantages.

3 Likes

I think you can do better though this isn’t the worst choice.
The fenders and rear rack look decent enough. The generator and lights are nice but these lower end lights can be finicky. The stem and headset bearing is an outdated design. Twist shifters just kinda suck compared to modern rapid fire shifters.

If it were me I would get a giant escape 2 or Merida Explorer 100, they’re a bit less expensive. With the money saved you could get some nicer quality rechargeable lights (though no generator) and a rear rack. You’ll end up with a similar priced bike but with 8 speed rapid fire shifters, modern stem design, and in the case of the Merida Explorer 100 hydraulic disc brakes. This is probably more than you need for simple riverside rides but it’s probably better value.

Whatever you end up with make sure it’s the correct size. I see too many people that end up on bikes that are too small for them.

3 Likes

Why avoid suspension? My bike has front suspension and I find it extremely comfortable. It is adjustable and I’m tuning it now but already I’m very happy to have it. I was hesitant at first because of something I read here but didn’t ask this question before going ahead. Thank you for your answer.

There are many reasons why suspension forks are a bad idea at this price point and for this style of riding. I will try to avoid the pure performance disadvantages as they don’t really matter here.

1. A front suspension fork is not actually necessary. Riverside paths usually have great and smooth surface. If riding without suspension feels uncomfortable, it is likely because of the tires (or because the bike does not fit the cyclist). With a decent set of tires at the proper pressure, riding in tarmac should be no issue. Also, these bikes have bigger tires than road bikes. Bigger tires can be ridden with lower pressures for greater comfort.
  2. At this price point, front suspension forks are usually rubbish.
  3. It is another part that requires maintenance, which will cost you money/time in the long term.
  4. Even with the proper maintenance, these cheap forks tend to develop play. Also, not many people maintain their forks properly, especially at this price point, so they will develop even more play.
  5. They are more expensive than a rigid fork. The manufacturer will take that cost from other parts of the bike.
  6. They are significantly heavier than a rigid fork. It can be important if you have to carry the bike through stairs.
6 Likes

Ask @ttwan if he can set you up with a 3 speed hub bike with fenders and doodads that you want for the price range you are looking for. I don’t think you’ll need the gear range that bike has if you’re just tooling around the city.

I doing city driving over curbs and pot holes. My previous ride was a granny bike with baby seat on back. My girl has her own Giant wheels now so I no longer needed the baby carrier. Never having had suspension before I immediately appreciate the smooth ride and reduced shock of the road hazards.

I’m good with maintaining things.

The lady did say the forks are heavier but that replacement cost is the same for fixed fork.

Had the same suspension system on a 70 year old airplane I owned. Never any trouble.

Thanks, I’d need a bit more carry space though and definitely want mudguards.

Wow, didn’t know they could be swapped out easily, any idea what little money is? 1000NT or thereabouts?

Yes, would prefer not to have those, strange that they are included instead of better gears or something.

Will that make any difference to me? I’m not looking for any type of performance just low maintenance steady and reliable.

I do like the look and specs of the escape but on Giant’s website it says the largest is an “M” and I know from renting bikes at the riverside that that will be cramped for me, definitely prefer a little big than a little small as I need the length.

That’s my concern. At least with Decathlon they were offering to let me try out the bike first.

Thanks! The number of gears is definitely over spec. for me.

The giant place let me try out all of their L sized bikes and the ATX 810 was overall much nicer than the more expensive, no suspension, Escape model that came in an L size.

I see Giant shops everywhere so I do take comfort in knowing I can get any needed support within walking distance. This is my second giant bike. I’ll post a photo of my previous Giant and that I purchased for my daughter.

I would attach my daughter’s bike to mine when meeting her at the bus stop after school. The puppy would supervise. Ever since baby learned how to ride hers I’ve been wanting to get a new one. It took me a year and a half to get around to getting my new ATX 810.

my only complaint with this giant shop is the lady refused to put a puppy basket on the front of the new bike.

Can’t say for sure, but I would say that around that, including the installation.

1 Like

Oh, OK, on their website “M” is the largest size they show for the Escape 2

The ATX810 has an “L” though

I guess I can go in person and look. Which shop let you test ride? I tried 2 in Xindian and they said I could only sit on it in the store.

1 Like

There should be several shops in xindian. The shop I went to is at the corner Daan Park and Xinyi Road. Northeast corner of the park.

They let me ride both of their L sized bikes that were this style and within my budget.

They speak perfect English. Really nice people.

Don’t ask to test ride on weekend as they worry about all of the foot traffic. They don’t want anyone getting run over I guess. The flower market is right there on the weekends. I had to return during the week. They have plenty of accessories there - rack for the backside and bags to strap on etc…

1 Like

+1 on this shop, long time ran by Jimmy, now by his daughter, and for Giant.
I bought my first Giant there 25 yrs ago, and several after that.
My Expert with Spinery wheels was an attraction in 1998, it was shown 2 weeks in the middle of the shop before Jimmy allowed me to take it :smile:.
25 years, half a world, and tens of thousands of kilometer later, they still look like new, ride like new.
Just keep them inside, rain and moisture is a killer.

3 Likes

Is it this one, Google Maps ? It has a lot of really bad reviews.

That’s the place. It’s a Giant !!!

OK, thanks, the reviews are very off-putting though!