Is this racism?

I came across this story on Limbaugh quitting ESPN over a remark he made about quarterback Donovan McNabb – that he was over-rated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed. (Check out the story here:)

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … imbaugh_23

Now, I’m probably one of Limbaugh’s biggest haters for marginalizing the Liberal agenda, cloking the Conservatives in the mainstream image of “rugged invididualism”, and trivializing environmental issues.

Nevertheless, I’ve gotta ask, is this racism? The worst that could be construed of Limbaugh’s remark is that McNabb is getting preferential treatment due to his race. It seems more of an attack on “the liberal media” than a racial slur. While I agree that his remark was in poor taste, it doesn’t seem to merit the “quit or be fired” ultimatum the story suggests Limbaugh was given. That seems a bit totalitarian to me.

Whadya think?

You and I probably will not agree on much… but I don’t think this was racism either, at least not according to the definition of “racism” that I am aware of.

However, I think it was incredibly stupid of him to make those remarks, and I think his remarks were stupid too. I disagree with him… I don’t see the league, or the media, as being necessarily worried about whether a black quarterback is successful. There have been some very successful black quarterbacks… so what?

I think he was making an issue out of nothing. He was stupid, and I think wrong… and this contrasts with how I feel about the Jimmy the Greek incident… I think Jimmy the Greek, whether stupid or not to have made his remarks, was absolutely correct… but people couldn’t accept such talk, for whatever reason.

Rush Limbaugh was born in a sewer in Kansas City, and despite his material success in this world - is still nothing better than Middle America trailer trash - end of question.

Chewy

Definitely racism.
He made an issue about McNabb’s race, and if McNabb felt it was a racist slur, it was. Limbaugh needs to shut his damn mouth!

Look at it another way: it’s like Tigerman’s neighbours saying he’s in the wrong about kicking the dogs, but what else can you expect from a lao wai…

[quote=“Alien”]Definitely racism.
He made an issue about McNabb’s race, and if McNabb felt it was a racist slur, it was. Limbaugh needs to shut his damn mouth![/quote]

Alien,

I respectfully disagree. Making an issue of race does not necessarily equate to “racism”. Had he stated that McNabb was better or worse [i]because[/i] of his race… that would have been a racist remark.

But all he did was imply that the media or the league wanted a black quarterback to succeed (i.e., he accused the media and league of making an issue of race). I think he was wrong, because I see no evidence that the media or the league is particularly concerned whether any particular quarterback, black, white or other, succeeds or fails, or is just plain mediocre.

If I were Mcnabb, I would be irked by the stupidity of the statement… but I wouldn’t regard it as a racist statement.

But you’re not McNabb, you’re Tigerman, the white guy in your neighbourhood who threatens old women and kicks dogs, not footballs!

From www.Webster.com:

racism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Limbaugh’s statement may be construed as racism because his message may have been interpreted as black people being inferior quarterbacks. I believe the main reason Limbaugh was fired is because race is such a sensitive issue in the states. Unlike Taiwan, only the truly ignorant people in the states talk about race so openly. (Maybe all of Taiwan is ignorant?) In American sports media, any opinions related to race and performance is a big no no. Race is such a sensitive issue in American sports media. Remember that “monkey” comment about an athlete stated by a broadcaster a while back?

Anyways, I find it hilarious when my coworkers talk to be about black people. They know love to play basketball, so they like to ask if I played basketball with black people back in the states. Its hilarious for them to always think that black people are superior superhumans when it comes to the basketball court. They are genuinely in awe of me when I tell them that I played basketball with black people all the time back at home.

Well, there may be some truth in that…

However, the definition of racism remains constant, for everyone.

RL was stupid, in my opinion. And even if he is a racist (and I’m not saying that he is or isn’t), I don’t think his stupid statement meets the criteria for racism.

[quote=“thechu17”]From www.Webster.com:

racism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Limbaugh’s statement may be construed as racism because his message may have been interpreted as black people being inferior quarterbacks.[/quote]

But there is nothing in RL’s statement that could be interpreted as an opinion that black people are inferior quarterbacks. He merely stated that he believed that the media or the league was heaping unwarranted praise on McNabb because McNabb is black and the media and the league want a successful black quarterback. RL said the Eagles success was due more to the play of its defense than to the play of its quarterback. I’m pretty certain that there are a fair number of black players on the Eagle’s defense, no?

I think his statement was stupid because I see no support or evidence that the media or league care whether a ANY quarterback is successful… and in any event, several black quarterbacks are or have already been successful… so I don’t understand his statement.

But I do not see how it can be interpreted as a “racist” statement.

I think Americans get too uppity about this stuff. Whites and gays are fair game, but God help you if you criticize anyone else. (And thank God for gays, at least you can still bash them and get away with it most of the time.)

That being said, I don’t know if it is appropriate for a football commentator to mention things like that. I didn’t realize he was even doing football commentary. From what I’ve read he doesn’t even fully understand the game. Next thing they’ll have Dr. Laura co-hosting the Summer Olympics.

[quote=“Flicka”]I think Americans get too uppity about this stuff. Whites and gays are fair game, but God help you if you criticize anyone else. (And thank God for gays, at least you can still bash them and get away with it most of the time.)
[/quote]
???

racism

Any comments from the media about Kurt Warner sucking because we wanted to see a “white” quarterback fail? Any comments about “white” quarterbacks doing good or bad? You only hear the names, not the race associated with the name.
I believe the reason there is a whole stink about this subject is because the mere mention of McNabb being “black” and “the media and the league want a successful black quarterback” would cause one to believe that “racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race”. Not saying everyone would agree with this, but some people may view RL’s statements this way. If RL left the word “black” out and just said that the media wanted a successful “McNabb”, then there would have been no problem. But because he mentioned the forbibben b-word, his comments, like I said before, may be construed as black quarterbacks being inferior because he believes there are so few successful “black” quarterbacks in the league.

No. As the statement stands, it is not racism. There is no evidence in it that Limbaugh is stating that one race is inferior to another or that he is supporting discrimination against one race by another. He is making an observation about the media making race an issue. But he should know that such a statement was bound to upset some people and be used as political capital by others.

I doubt if ESPN gave much of a shit about his knowledge of football, quite frankly. Love him or hate him, Limbaugh always draws attention. He’s the political equivalent of Howard Stern – and that was probably his appeal to ESPN.

I wonder if he did it on purpose just to stir things up. I’m sure his fans are all riled about PC censorship and whatnot.

racism

Yes… and? That’s because, perhaps, the media and league don’t care whether a white quarterback succeeds or fails… That’s what I think.

How would RL’s comment cause one to believe that any particular race might be better or worse at the position of quarterback?

Yeah, people like Rascal, who think that there are infinite meanings and interpretations to clearly stated comments. All we have to go on is what he said, i.e., his statement. There is no need to “interpret” his meaning… what he stated is clear. And what he stated does not meet the definition of “racism”. Its as simple as that. Really.

Nope. You should not be trying to infer what he meant, when his statement is perfectly clear. He accused the media and league of making an issue of McNabb’s race.

How can that statement be interpreted to mean that RL thinks or believes that black people make inferior quarterbacks? Whether there are many or only a few successful black quarterbacks is not a function of race… and RL did NOT say that it was.

As such, no racism in his comment.

Well Tigerman, its obvious more people think like me than like you because RL got fired/forced resignation.

Tigerman is stating whether Rush’s statement was racist or not. That’s a world apart about what will result from Rush’s statement. It’s apples and oranges you’re comparing.

Chewy,

Rush Limbaugh is from Cape Girardeau, Missouri, a beautiful, prosperous, small city on the banks of the Mississippi River.

His family is certainly not “trailer trash.” His father was a top judge in the area, and many of his relatives are attorneys. Admittedly, Rush has been labeled the “black sheep” of the Limbaugh family by some.

While I don’t agree with everything he says, I would not call Limbaugh “Middle America trailer trash.” Of course, you are free to state your opinions, but please do so after looking into some of the facts.

[quote]Tigerman is stating whether Rush’s statement was racist or not. That’s a world apart about what will result from Rush’s statement. It’s apples and oranges you’re comparing.

[/quote]

Well, if his statement wasnt possibly considered racist, then why would be fired/forced resignation?

That doesn’t prove that RL’s statement was a “racist” statement.

Its a real pity that more people don’t think like me… :wink: