Is this racism?

[quote]Tigerman is stating whether Rush’s statement was racist or not. That’s a world apart about what will result from Rush’s statement. It’s apples and oranges you’re comparing.

[/quote]

Being “considered” racist by some is not the same as actually “being” racist.

And surely you can imagine that the network simply didn’t want to deal with the scandal… or with mistaken perceptions… ESPN took the easy way out.

Don’t misunderstand me… I think RL’s statement was stupid… but I don’t think it was racist.

[quote=“tigerman”][quote]Tigerman is stating whether Rush’s statement was racist or not. That’s a world apart about what will result from Rush’s statement. It’s apples and oranges you’re comparing.

[/quote]

Being “considered” racist by some is not the same as actually “being” racist.

And surely you can imagine that the network simply didn’t want to deal with the scandal… or with mistaken perceptions… ESPN took the easy way out.

Don’t misunderstand me… I think RL’s statement was stupid… but I don’t think it was racist.[/quote]

Not only ESPN took the easy way, but also those politicians who came down on him, misusing the term “racism” for their own gain.

But Rush must have realized that making such a stupid remark would have brought such a reaction.

The connotative meaning varies between individuals, ages, cultures, etc. Racism is glossed as the degree of fairness to different races. There is no universal “fair”, so racism only truly exists in the laws of nations.

The connotative meaning varies between individuals, ages, cultures, etc. Racism is glossed as the degree of fairness to different races. There is no universal “fair”, so racism only truly exists in the laws of nations.[/quote]

I disagree. There is an agreed upon definition of “racism”.

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]

But Rush must have realized that making such a stupid remark would have brought such a reaction.[/quote]

I think Rush got what he wanted. Publicity.

chewy: limbaugh was not born in KC. he was born in cape giradeau. his family is pretty politically powerful, including a long line of judges. he got his show biz start in KC, a good hour drive from KC. nepotism? but one man’s nepotism is another’s guanxi. nonetheless, sounds like you may, potentially have some unresolved issues tossing about terms as “white trash”. having lived in ol “cape garagedoor” i call tell you that those you so sneeringly disregard as lowly are some of the friendliest folks around.

is “white trash” racist? seems people have been banned from this fine site for lesser offenses.

lots of people hate limbaugh. he gave them an excuse to gut 'im. soon anon he’ll be up on drug charges-check out various news sites. he quit espn, and the “racism” angle is gonna make lots people feel touchy feely good, but perhaps the actual motivating factor in such a resignation was the breaking story of his addiction to illegal painkillers (such as “hillbilly heroin”) and the steps he used to acquire such.

One has to take his latest remark in context. In addition to being an all-around knucklehead, he’s been accused of racism before.

Supposedly, he once told an african-american caller to his show to take the bone out of his nose; he played the theme song to the Jeffersons when Senator Carol Mosely-Brown was on the show; and he’s said/done other such things.

It’s not a racist comment in my book.

Why anyone with a career in sports commentry would make it beggers belief.

It’s a comment pregnant with possibilites, but that’s all. Reading anything more into it is where racism starts and goodwill dissolves.

[quote=“tigerman”]
I disagree. There is an agreed upon definition of “racism”.[/quote]

What is it and whose is it, then?

[quote=“E-clectic”][quote=“tigerman”]

What is it and whose is it, then?[/quote]

The definition has already been cited several times in this thread. Select any ten dictionaries and look up the meaning of “racism”… then come back and we can discuss your point.

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“E-clectic”][quote=“tigerman”]

What is it and whose is it, then?[/quote]

Select any ten dictionaries and look up the meaning of “racism”… then come back and we can discuss your point.[/quote]

A fruitless word search, no thank you. The contention that racism is an absolute and universal concept is flawed. That is the point.

Why is it “flawed”? Because you say so? :unamused:

Its flawed because the world we live in is beyond defnitions. Noone can define who we are or what we do in this world. Define the word “Life”. Define the word “God”. Define the word “Love”. Sure, there are definitions in the dictionary or whatnot, but those words go way beyond set definitions.

Who’s in fucking La La Land?

But if you insist there are no definitions, then please explain to me how there can be “racism”? How do you “know” racism when you see it?

Actually, I am wondering if his leaving the football commentary job is more linked to his being under investigation for allegedly buying massive amounts of dope from his housekeeper. Check this out:

nydailynews.com/front/story/ … 0349c.html

Well tigerman,

I’ve always thought you’d argue the leg off a chair. In this case, I think you might be arguing with the leg of a chair.

[quote=“Fox”]Well tigerman,

I’ve always thought you’d argue the leg off a chair. In this case, I think you might be arguing with the leg of a chair.[/quote]

Don’t tell me that you too think there is no definition of “racism”…

It was answered in my first post.

Because you say so? :unamused:

Two would be enough to find differences showing that it is not generally

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“Fox”]Well tigerman,

I’ve always thought you’d argue the leg off a chair. In this case, I think you might be arguing with the leg of a chair.[/quote]

Don’t tell me that you too think there is no definition of “racism”…[/quote]
I think Fox is referring to your opponent(s) rather than your argument technique :wink: .

[quote]Two would be enough to find differences showing that it is not generally

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“tigerman”][quote=“Fox”]Well tigerman,

Don’t tell me that you too think there is no definition of “racism”…[/quote]
I think Fox is referring to your opponent(s) rather than your argument technique :wink: .

[quote]Two would be enough to find differences showing that it is not generally