Is this what "we" think

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003222158

Just too funny

Yeah, Bassman, some of the things in the report are bloody funny. Was I hallucinating or did I see “ethics” mentioned as a positive local feature?

The Taipei Times wrote [quote] When asked about their tourism preferences, the survey indicated that foreigners were most interested in Taiwan’s food.[/quote] Right, and my arse isn’t hairy!

What historic sites are there? And the locals don’t even know what eco-tourism is. I’m reminded of a friend who went to some new “ecological park” near Kaohsiung only to find that it was just a construction site - they had yet to “construct” the eco-systems!!

And I had thought that foreigners only came here for the hookers, silly me. :s

Taipei Times wrote:

The tourists also stressed Taiwanese society’s competitiveness, safety, fast-pace, ethics, modernization, internationalization, efficiency, freedom, order and diversity.

Safety? Taiwanese traffic anyone? Being bullied by redneck gangsters in the mountains? And what are all the prison windows with Fort Knox like bars all about?

Ethics? I hope they are not talking about business ethics or good governance here.

Internationalisation? I guess they only asked people in Taipei, since it’s the TAIPEI Times. Come down to Tainan and let’s talk about internationalization in a nice food court while being gawked at and bothered by strangers who want to practice their English.

Efficiency? Efficiency like in the Taoyuan busstop where 4 young women where standing behind the counter NOT selling tickets to the 3 waiting customers, instead gossiping away about their boyfriends?

Order? I don’t know where to start, I seriously don’t know where to start…

What’s the diversity in Tainan? The southeast Asian construction workers? The SE Asian nannies and care takers? Or the SE Asian hookers?

Oh well, it’s one of those days again.

while there are aspects which are unsafe, such as the driving and the need for bars on the windows (sigh :frowning: ), i still find this place pretty safe. very rarely in the years here have i felt at all threatened. and most of those situations were in alcohol-consumption environments.

Some places really make an effort to be safe (or even oversafe) like the MRT: Stand within 10 miles of the platfrom edge and you get a whistle blown at you. Disabled access is excellent.

However, you can turn left illegally infront of a speeding car without any fear of law enforcement, but try and swim in calm waters on a sunny day in the sea and you get told its too dangerous and you are forced to get out by an orange-clad lifeguard.

Trouble is that safety is not consistant across the board in Taiwan which I find very strange.

[quote]When asked about their tourism preferences, the survey indicated that foreigners were most interested in Taiwan’s food.

Your arse must be very smooth then Almas, not that I’m particularly interested in the consistancy of fur on your behind.

I love the food here.

People need to remember that the overwhelming majority of visitors to Taiwan come from Japan and Hong Kong, not Western countries. Food is a major attraction for those visitors, especially at nightmarkets and food courts. There are also a lot of cultural and historical sites which those visitors are more likely to know about and be interested in than people from Western countries. :wink:

Ah, but remember, Japanese and Hongkies aren’t laowai. What’s the bet they didn’t ask a single foreigner who’s not white or black for any of that?

Jefferson wrote [quote]There are also a lot of cultural and historical sites which those visitors are more likely to know about and be interested in than people from Western countries. [/quote]

The temples here are exotic, colourful and there are often a lot of interesting activities going in and on around them, but what historical sites are there? I’ve actually thought about putting together a history tour of Taiwan for foreigners but there are very few places worth visiting.

I’m not sure what is so funny about the article. It’s self-congratulatory, and a little vague on its definitions for sure, but pretty accurate overall.

Who can disagree with this? Of course the article does list internationalization later more positively, and for Taipei City at least, this is fair.

As for eco-tourism, I agree with John that the term is not realy being used properly. If you look at the Taiwan tourism website, eco-tourism activities include visits to National Parks, including Yangmingshan and Alishan, visits to Yehliu for the rocks, bird-watching and so on. If this is how they define eco-tourism then yes, I can imagine most people would have a high opinion of it.

As for historical sites, temples do count. If there was nothing else this would still be a pretty decent legacy. But there are also old houses, villas, mansions, walls, gates, arches, and Japanese era buildings scattered here and there in Taipei and other cities. In addition, areas like Din Hua Jie and Beitou are included as historical sites. Taipei’s not got the historical legacy of somewhere like London, but it’s as least as good, if not better than a tourist town like Vancouver.

Business ethics. When was the last time you were ripped off in Taiwan. When the last, or the first time, even a street vendor charged you more than he would a local. One price for the local, one for the tourist, is common in many places (even in Australia not so long ago) so the fact that it is not practised here is commendable. In addition, you can pre-pay for a hotel without worry and buy gold, jade, antiques, clothing, etc, with the expectation that items are genuine

From the tourists’ perspective, taiwanese business practices are very ethical.

Safety? It is extremely safe to travel here, even in the mountains.

Efficiency and order? The trains, planes and MRT all run on time. Government offices, malls, and private businesses open and close when they say the will. Banking is transparent. The bureacracy can be a nightmare for the resident for sure (and no one knows that better than me) but for the casual visitor things are pretty straightforward.

Order as in law and order? Yes, this is a very ordered society in many ways. A good way to think about this is to remember that after the 921 earthquake there was no looting. None. Sure there is a lot of incivility here, but it is mostly of the petty annoyance kind. People parking their scooter on the sidewalk, not running them through windows. People driving like maniacs, but not truly being maniacs. People bumping into you in the street, but not intimidating you.

Well said MM. I agree with most of your points.

I think after a person has been in Taiwan too long, the petty annoyances seem to outshine the good things here in Taiwan. It takes one to stand back a while and look at things in perspective to re-gain the appreciation of living in Taiwan.

[quote]Business ethics. When was the last time you were ripped off in Taiwan. When the last, or the first time, even a street vendor charged you more than he would a local.
[/quote]

Taxi drivers, bike shop owners, bike mechanics - they’ve all tried it on with me.

I would have to disagree about the mountains.

Perhaps I’m just unlucky, but I nearly had my car pushed over the side of a cliff face by a flash flood following a thunderstorm - the ground gave way and the road kind of disappeared with the torrents. I managed to just about drive through it. I’ve nearly been hit a couple of times by falling rocks too. Oh, and the roads…you know…

My main point is that to give the opinion as being foreigners in Taiwan are thinking this way is misleading. Well, that is if “Forumosa” is any indication of what people are thinking.

It is those of us that have been here longer that may have a different opinion. Perhaps I am wrong, we are not the majority.

[quote=“Bassman”]Perhaps I am wrong, we are not the majority.[/quote]That’s right. I wonder what Japanese sex-tour visitors put on those forms… Cultural, ah, exchange? :unamused:

[quote=“Dangermouse”]I think after a person has been in Taiwan too long[/quote]Care to define “too long”? :wink:

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Well said MM. I agree with most of your points.

I think after a person has been in Taiwan too long, the petty annoyances seem to outshine the good things here in Taiwan. It takes one to stand back a while and look at things in perspective to re-gain the appreciation of living in Taiwan.

[quote]Business ethics. When was the last time you were ripped off in Taiwan. When the last, or the first time, even a street vendor charged you more than he would a local.
[/quote]

Taxi drivers, bike shop owners, bike mechanics - they’ve all tried it on with me.

I would have to disagree about the mountains.

Perhaps I’m just unlucky, but I nearly had my car pushed over the side of a cliff face by a flash flood following a thunderstorm - the ground gave way and the road kind of disappeared with the torrents. I managed to just about drive through it. I’ve nearly been hit a couple of times by falling rocks too. Oh, and the roads…you know…[/quote]

Good point about mechanics, but then that happens everywhere. Same with taxi drivers. But then I don’t know anyone who avoids taxis because they are worried about getting ripped off. I know many women are rightfully concerned about their safety in taxis and always use special services, but that’s a different story.

As for mountains, I meant you are safe from crime. There are a lot of countries where you would dream of heading out into the mountains by yourself for a hike. But you are right, there are lots of natural dangers in the mountains and you’ve got to be seasonally savvy here.

Bassman, according to the Taiwan News the survey went as follows:

[quote=“Bassman”]My main point is that to give the opinion as being foreigners in Taiwan are thinking this way is misleading. Well, that is if “Forumosa” is any indication of what people are thinking.

It is those of us that have been here longer that may have a different opinion. Perhaps I am wrong, we are not the majority.[/quote]

I don’t the poll was sampling long-term residents. In fact, I think we may have been intentionally excluded.

In terms of residents, again it bears remarking that Westerners probably comprise less than 5% of the foreign population in Taiwan. Frankly, I’d be interested in seeing polls and questionnaires which address the needs and concerns of the “voiceless” foreigners in Taiwan, namely the Filipinos, Thais, Vietnamese, and other workers who work damned hard for very little pay and with very little recourse when things go wrong.

Sometimes when I have the urge to complain I think about how tough other people here have it. Stifles the urge pretty quickly.

Some food for thought.

I love how friendly everyone is here. Especially the taxi drivers. Like the one the other day who tried to beat me with a wooden stick because he almost ran me down while I was trying to cross the street on a green light. Silly me. Or the people at the restaurant who laugh at me behind the counter because my chinese is poor. Or the people at my gym who like to stick their a$$ in my face while I’m using equipment or burp in my face or change the channel on the TV while I’m staring right at it.

Or the guys in the blue trucks who like to spit betel nut at passing scooters or seem to be trying to knock you down.

sorry

Just had to vent.

Funny you should ask, because the laobanyang at the breakfast store on my way to school did this to me the other day.
I gave her 30 NT and she just stared as I waited for my change, so I figured I’d remembered the price wrong, walked off. Next day I ask and it turns out the price is 25 NT. You should have seen her face as I was walking off… I would have to describe her expression as one of pride.

Strangely, it bothers me more than the 9000 NT that a friend is never going to pay me back. Why screw me for 5 NT? How odd.

Why didn’t the survey mention the local women as a major draw? :slight_smile:
Mmmm, let me think; local xiaojies, historical sites or food? Which would I choose? :laughing:

I’d just like to say that my car mechanic has been unbelievably good to me. He changed both the head gasket and lower seal, then tried to UNDER charge me for some reason. He initially said it would be 9,500, but when the bill came it was 7,000. I told him he had to take at least 8,000, and we ended up playing rock-paper-scissors over it (he took the extra money).

And when I dropped it off, he drove me home in his car. Another time he lent me his motor bike for the day while he worked on my car.

I cannot think of a time when I was ripped off by a business person. Just don’t get me started on the buxiban laobans…