Is Tienmu still a Western/foreign enclave now?

Yeah, I agree (although it may have been different in the 1970s). It’s just like saying Dulan is the hipster capital of Asia (another subject entirely - I know).

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That place has cobwebs every time I drove through it. Any establishment I wanted to visit was invariably closed.

2 Likes

You have vastly overestimated my level of interest in the residential situations of random contrarian absurdists on the Internet.

Okay, so here’s a question for you. You clearly didn’t note the demographics of your neighbors when you lived there, but did you ever talk to locals around Taipei and Taiwan about their impressions of who lives in Tianmu? Did they ever say anything other than “foreigners” and “rich people”? Are any of the other places you mentioned associated so strongly with rich people? Do you think there might be a reason for that discrepancy, or do you think that’s all made up and all these places have the same percentage of intergenerationally wealthy families?

Frankly, I never got the appeal of Tianmu. It just has this really decaying moldy vibe to it.

1 Like

Best to leave when the going is good.

Yes. If you cash out of your fungusy “haozhai” in Tianmu, you could buy an actual mansion in so many places.

1 Like

The mould in some of the houses in section seven at bottom of the hills :neutral_face: .And they are all packed together anyway. Not the best. I do have a soft spot for some parts though.

1 Like

Ha, that’s exactly the area I was thinking of. And the baseball stadium is so dank and moldy it looks like something out of a dystopian sci-fi flick.

1 Like

If you have kids they need to commute to Tianmu you probably make the right choice.

like Taiwan itself, it used to be cool… back in the day when Takashimaya and Sogo were new and had many fancy restaurants. now all that migrated to xinyi and neihu…

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

1 Like