Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Did you read my post?

I don’t remember anywhere where I boasted about Taiwan’s Coronavirus work in my post.

I’m trying to give a comparison of the levels of relative risk.

But you continue with the strawmen.

Two people died on those three days. Are delivery people dying EVERY three days?

You’re not even reading my posts. Why am I bothering having a good-faith discussion?

The risk of getting run over in taiwan is higher than catching corona in a western country. If you really want to avoid catching it you can stay home and make masked socially distanced trips to the supermarket.

In taiwan even if you wanted to do this you would still have to make contact with the roads, and as we have seen in another thread, its completely out of your hands whether the traffic will decide to stop for you or, whether you will be mashed across the street by a bus. Man woman or child, makes no difference. You are at the mercy of taiwans law of the road jungle.
High school student dead after being hit by bus on pedestrian crossing – Taiwan English News

See. This is absolutely and unequivocally false. I provided the numbers and the proof.

Again, this is a strawman, I can go to any place in the world, pick up a news article and scream the sky is falling. I provided the numbers and proof that Taiwan is not particularly dissimilar to other developed countries.

1 Like

I did not intend for my flippant post to cause trouble, and now apologize for posting it.

I assume you meant dying from Covid.

Who is not reading who’s posts now? As i said, corona is very avoidable depending on your own personal responsibility.

No amount of taking responsibility is going to stop a bus or taxi from using its brakes at a pedestrian crossing and not taking your life.

Except it’s not. It’s dependent on both people. If one person fails to do due diligence when infected, they can still infect someone else. Corona is invisible. You can’t avoid everything.

You can only reduce the risk. Not eliminate it. Not everyone that died from Corona is an irresponsible person and is insensitive to suggest otherwise.

That’s actually not what happened though marco.

That news is recent, it happened at the exact moment we were discussing the issue of crossing the roads in taiwan being dangerous.

Again, it’s one person at one point on time on one road. So what?

One time does not paint a picture. It’s a pixel.

This is why we have statistics.

They help us paint a picture.

From the picture we derive conclusions.

Cannot make a conclusion from one time/incident

Cause it is disingenuous to draw conclusions about the state of an entire country from individual incidents. One must take a look at the whole picture.

1 Like

Correct, you can reduce the risk greatly.
I’ve been in the UK in crazy wave we had over christmas, probably the highest proportional number of cases in the developed world. As i’ve said, taking personal responsibility works pretty good.

However in taiwan i’ve been nearly run over several times. Other than running across the road like a deer, how can i have any control over what a dangerous driver does?

That’s one particularly cold way to look at it.

Another way is the recent news article was a kid going to school, who couldn’t even cross the road to get to her school safely. If you think it’s not a big deal then fine, but i’d say there’s some big issues with your country when your child cannot even get to school without risk of death.

What’s the risk of death?

0.00782608695%

That’s the risk for the little girl and everyone else in Taiwan.

There is no such thing as 0 risk. You are fooling yourself.

One incident is a freak accident.

Are children being mowed down on this road hourly? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? No.

1800 people die in Taiwan due to traffic per year. The sky is falling.

1800 people die in the UK in traffic AND 126 000 deaths of Corona in a year.

Then Taiwan must be the king of personal responsibility :rofl:

One incident means nothing when trying to determine a problem. One incident is a freak accident. One incident is not a pattern.

We don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater for individual incidents. THAT’s common sense.

1 Like

No, you throw the baby under the bus.

That was pretty dark and insensitive.

Tell me. What is an acceptable number of deaths, rate of death and level of risk?

I make it a point to do this every where it says don’t do it. Make them learn. Invest in better piping.

Says the person who puts a smiley after listing the UKs number of corona deaths, and says “so what” “look at the bigger picture” after kids get killed outside of their school.

No. I laughed at the absurdity of your post. Don’t misrepresent what I said.

You’re saying Taiwan’s risk of road fatalities is too high.

That’s your argument and you’re intentionally ignoring the other parts of the post to paint me in a bad light in bad faith.

You should laugh at the absurdity of your own posts, calling others strawman when trying to equate corona virus deaths with traffic safety.

1 Like

Is public health not a safety issue? I’m not equating Corona deaths with traffic safety. Death is death. And you have a risk of death in every situation you are in.

I guarantee you a dead person does not care if they were killed by a bus or a disease or hiking.

Tell me.

You have turned into gain.

I don’t know cus the current stats don’t -as you like to say- give the full picture. I don’t believe the traffic in NZ is equally as bad as TW. Even if the stats are the same.

I’ll go one better for you, i’ll give you a rule which will make a big improvement to pedestrian safety and start to improve the dangerous driving mindset in taiwan overall. All cars should have to stop at pedestrian crossings, including turnings.

1 Like

You have no idea but the number is too high.

I can help give good faith arguments for why I think this is the way it is if you want me to.

At EVERY pedestrian crossing? And cause dangerous unsafe gridlock? At EVERY traffic light? Even if it’s green?

They don’t even do this in other developed countries. Come on…

Every single intersection in Taiwan should be an all way stop? WHAT?