Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Your point seemed to imply that the reason stats are separated is to ‘hide’ the true number when reporting.

But unless the government clearly states this is the reasoning, I can only accept your post as speculation of the reason.

I did not imply that. (3rd time now) i said it was because they have a lot of accidents to deal with.

Although showing only A1 does hide the full stats, so if someone wanted to imply that i don’t see the problem.

Is there a specific year it was changed it to A1 A2?

The change to separate into A1 and A2 and only reporting A1 deaths as traffic related deaths happened in 2017 according to this. The majority of people who die in car accidents end up in hospital in a coma or life support but die after the first day… But in Taiwan we can erase this number so it satisfies safety stats and police can continue not enforcing traffic laws and the city can continue disregarding the incredibly dangerous driving environment here

3 Likes

Ok maybe i was wrong, maybe the A1 A2 A3 categories were created so they could do a face job on the stats and make it seem like things are improving without actually having to do anything significant about it.

Which would be inline with what i’ve previously seen of the traffic ‘improvements’.

2 Likes

It said Taiwan has 21 million registered cars? That’s almost 1 per person. Does that include scooters?

Fyi

2 Likes

Very noticeable uptrend the last couple of years.
I would blame the pandemic but the uptrend started in 2018.
MOTC, the police and the government must bear responsibility for their failures.
I’m very curious about what is causing the uptick on what are already very high numbers.

3 Likes

Instagram account with quite a collection of videos and photos of well…the roads of Taiwan.

Warning: The photos/videos that ask you if you want to see it are mostly probably NSFW so just a heads up there…

https://www.instagram.com/taiwan_sanbo/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO1S3amhxbv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Perfect example of why you shouldn’t set your restaurant (or whatever it was) up in the road. The guy did seem to be walking pretty wide though lol.

Personally I’m quite a fan of this video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COsjPGPhdq-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So many people young and old are too lazy to even put on their helmet right. It takes less than second. But I guess that’s why I also see a lot of people forget to put up their kickstands too and see sparks fly when they turn…

is that even accurate? It shows total deaths at 1,851.
But these stats show 2,968, and are around 3000 every year so it makes sense.
Imgur

I’m not sure what you mean.
The numbers in your plot look exactly the same with those in the table I posted, for me.

Aren’t you guys talking about differences between A1 number and A1+A2?

The first table? I was looking at the second one.

So, that is the difference between A1 and A1+A2.

Please don’t post videos which give a comic book-type treatment to horrific accidents, thanks. There’s no benefit to them. This is a local trend apparently, but I don’t see a place for them here.

3 Likes

Level 3 has fixed the pollution.

Another article about the young lady from El Salvador, Laura, that was killed not all that long ago in May.

Includes some words from her father as well.

1 Like

Worst part of Taiwan’s lingering “Third Worldism”?
I’m going with illegal home temples, street Taoism, ghost money burning, and other holdovers from the bronze age.

2 Likes

So…you think the local culture and religion is ‘third world’?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sounds pretty chauvinistic to me.

1 Like

I have to admit burning rituals make me uncomfortable.

2 Likes