Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

At this point it’s almost believable that the PRC military could just land in the middle of Taipei and claim they are just temporarily parking.

When I was out this evening I drove by an area that had about 6+ vehicles illegally parked in the outer lane and blocking traffic to eat at a restaurant. The outer lane was effectively useless and you had 50+ vehicles all trying to squeeze together in the inner lane. Thousands of road users will probably have been affected by the time those eating clear out. Pretty close to a police station too.

God it’s so embarrassing. I would laugh but it’s just too sad.

Something more light hearted I suppose. Mom getting her 2yr. old off the scooter who pulls on the accelerator. Remember…turn off your scooter first. Oh yeah, no helmet on the kid either.

I can’t say I’m surprised…quite a few accidents at night on Wenxin Rd. in Taichung. Often see lots of expensive cars flying down the road in the later hours when the road is empty. Just a few days ago a car plowed into a bunch of parked scooters there. I suspect quite a few of them are driving drunk and coming back from some bars or nightclubs in Xitun/QiQi district/area.

5 Likes

Arguably more depressing as a package :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

lil bro just wanted to ride, I feel his pain

1 Like

Watch out for the ambulance…

3 Likes

安全第一!

2 Likes

“traffic must flow” MOTC

All the double parked cars at rush hour aren’t helping

2 Likes

I just wonder if the same class can be taken over and over again every year to eliminate those nasty unwanted points. Perhaps even hire someone to attend class for them?

What a retrograde move. Well fucning done. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Twice per year every year for 4 points each apparently :smiling_face:

It’s a max reduction of 4 points per year. The Taiwan News article got it wrong. It’s one class removes 2 points. Before you can only do the class once a year. Now you can do it twice to remove 4 points max per year.

Effectively this means someone needs to get 16 points per year to get a 2 month license suspension. With the points system being neutered that means so…basically they more or less made it pretty hard to lose your license.

The amendments also relax regulations allowing drivers to attend two traffic safety courses to have four traffic points deducted per year, up from one course and two points under the current system.

2 Likes

Well, that’s good, right? Look how many cases there are of people breaking the law because they were driving despite a revoked license. Now, fewer revoked licenses, so fewer rule-breakers! Watch the safety spread!

11 Likes

Double? On a road near my office, I see triple!

Guy

3 Likes

Occasionally, but the double park is standard now. Basically official parking

Starting to see parking on the green “sidewalk” near my kid’s school becoming common place now, idiots seem to think that all illegal parking is now unreportable. It is more difficult with the >, < 3mins BS but a few will be getting a red love letter in the post in the very near future! Hoping, very likely in vain, that the 3mins BS goes away in June when the new reg’s come in.

4 Likes

I also noticed more illegal parking on crosswalk and corners, we are going backwards.

3 Likes

Yep, what these idiots don’t seem to (yet) realise is that those types of illegal parking are, and will continue to be, reportable by the general public!

2 Likes

I have had reports accepted with two 3 minute apart spaced pictures. They need to be watermarked with a timestamp, there’s apps that do this.

Sure, but it requires you to have those photo’s, in the past if you drove by and had a photo/video of someone illegally parked that was sufficient for “temporary” illegal parking. Now you need to show either more or less than 3 minutes and other BS such as leaving/entering the vehicle etc. depending on the situation.

3 Likes

That 3-minute video rule is one of the dumbest decisions they’ve come up with. You have laws that state where you can and can’t temporarily park. Why do I need to stand and take a video when your laws already state that they can’t be there even for a second?

Dumb.

5 Likes

Ditto. The a-holes are now empowered to act with even more impunity. Thanks, MOT!

Guy

1 Like