Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

I understand your reasoning. Before having kids we had a Honda Fit which was perfect for us at that point, but needs change and you start to see the limitations of it. Plus we both agreed we didn’t want to drive around with young kids on a scooter, so a car with space for seats and prams was a must.

Would I want to drive our car to the centre of Taipei, no obviously not. If we lived there and had that level of public transport we probably wouldn’t have bought one.

2 Likes

I appreciate your candour. Sorry about the rant. The amount of SUVs in my corner of Taipei is ridiculous.

Guy

2 Likes

Absolutely. The Da nan ren culture has no place in this day and age. My gfs dad does things that none of us understand at all on a daily basis. You could make a TV show out of all the drama he causes because he thinks its his right as the man to act like an arsehole.

1 Like

Another intersection in Taipei is removing it’s mandatory 2 stage turn for white/green plate motorcycles. Now all motorcycles can do direct left turns by using the dedicated turning lane.

Here is what the intersection looks like. No dedicated left turn phase but has a left turning lane

The other side of the intersections looks weird though…directly opposite you have one lane where going “straight” will send traffic running right into you so essentially you have 3 lanes merging into 2 right at the intersection…but since the other road is one way there’s no left turn there.

1 Like

When i grew up my family cars were a mini and then a vauxhall nova. Never had any space problems. Even if you have to get a jeep whats wrong with a small one? Its so much hassle for no gain imo.

I just googled it. Seems its a rising problem in the UK too. The difference is there are multiple discussions and people complaining about it. I doubt Taiwanese even see it as a problem, even though the roads here and parking situation is even worse than Englands. Also seems like electric cars are partially to blame. Electric is supposed to be functional, i guess those Tesla twats started a trend of making extravagant huge electric cars and everyone else followed suit.

1 Like

They’re back at it again this evening, amazing what a little publicity will do! Only hope that all the activity is not just putting back the scooter spots that were hiding it originally…

2 Likes

Oh man…pretty large rock on the expressway gets run over by a truck then flung in front of a motorcyclist who has no time to avoid it…popped up in the air and a hard slide…

I didn’t think of it at first but someone in the comments wondered if the rock was from a someones improperly secured load and might’ve fallen off from their vehicle onto the road.

There was an incident last year where a 4.9kg piece of iron that wasn’t properly secured and fell onto the road then was run over by another vehicle sending it flying into the the air and killed a teacher on the 88 on the otherside last year.

743617c76f7231f3105db45081ecf866

For the case of the truck driver that hit the cyclist on the BeiYi, the police found the guy a couple hours later. The driver said he didn’t realize he hit the cyclist. Police say the case will be handled in accordance with the law/regulations. The driver is 60 years old. Seems like a lot of truck drivers are getting older and older.

Man…really close call.

6 Likes

We’re doomed.

4 Likes

This is in Yonghe District, New Taipei City, the most densly populated district in all of Taiwan. There are parking spaces along the main roads not far from that alley but it’s difficult to find a free spot. There is no parking space in that alley. There is a public car park under a nearby park. But it’s not cheap. I think that’s the main point. You want to park your car you need to pay. In this particular case, that car owner opened the shop, some kind of beauty parlor, knowing that there was no legal parking space in front of the shop. I assume they thought that they could park there despite the red line. I just wanted to point out that the police is doing nothing about it, even though they have been called many times. If laws are not enforced, laws are ignored. There is a good reason why police should stop that driver from parking there, next time there is a fire in that alley he will block any fire truck trying to enter.

2 Likes

I don’t know why it seems the will to enforce parking regulation isn’t there. I think that cars aren’t needed anywhere in Taipei but who knows, maybe they got lots of kids or stuff to deliver, and a car is necessary. But as to why people park illegally, because parking fees are expensive, so much so that it could actually be a fairly significant percentage of cost of car ownership.

People park scooters or cars right in front of entrance all the time and government is doing fuck all about it. If there’s a fire you couldn’t get out at all.

I’m sure the firetruck can just ram the car out of the way if they really need to, and I would feel little sympathy for the owner.

Years ago, i lived near a shop owner that did the same. He just painted over the red line. He blocked my view as i left the carpark so i complained to the community leader. He said he will handle it. He came to me a few days later and said they guy said no, he wont move his car. Hahah.

5 Likes

There appears to be a perception by politicians and the police that the general public and/or some important interest groups are opposed to stricter enforcement.

The more noise is made for stricter enforcement, the more enforcement we will see. It starts with all of us. Take action: point out illegally parked cars, call 110, report online.

Bonus points if you are or look Taiwanese, because then it won’t be written off as yet another “foreigner thing”.

3 Likes

Unfortunately a large percentage of the general public are more than happy with the lax enforcement of parking rules.

Fully agree with you on the making noise part, certainly do my best on the reporting front, however remember that the police have continually complained about being too busy as there are too many reported violations and that resulted in some being removed as reportable by the public before later being brought back.

The government seems more than happy to just sit back and allow illegal parking chaos.

In Taipei and New Taipei sensors have been installed in many roadside parking spots to automatically record parking, the same sensors could be installed at common illegal parking spots to automatically issue fines. The workers who previously scooted around issueing and stamping parking fee notices could be redeployed as dedicated parking wardens who issue on the spot tickets to illegal parkers (wouldn’t that be a lovely job!). The general public were very enthusiastic about recording and reporting illegal parking, for free!

1 Like

It might come down to who is connected to the underworld, the Lizhang or the driver. I highly suspect that a driver who ignores community leaders and the police is somehow connected to “people with influence”.

2 Likes

Good luck with that now that the rules have changed (as mentioned above) and the police can just ignore those reports.

3 Likes

Changes haven’t come into effect yet. Last I saw in the news it said earliest will be end of this month.

As for calling police technically still have to come out and are supposed to deal with the issue. That can vary from them blaring their sirens to make everyone quickly move their vehicles, asking people to leave (they are supposed to do this with professional drivers first before issuing tickets after changes last year) or issue tickets.

The other issue is…the police might not show up until a couple hours later as well which by then usually the person illegally parking is long gone.

The restrictions on reporting on mainly for the public reporting system.

I just use the SMS method which is basically the same as calling. They’ll eventually send someone out…usually. Has worked okay the few times I tried it for clearing out double parking and afterwards that area seems better.

2 Likes

It’s not entirely complete and utter nonsense. Legal parking spaces in Taichung are a third of the number of cars on the road. I think you’re missing the greater point of his comment, which was: there’s no room for the prevailing level of car ownership here. And that has merit.

Now, the choice to use available legal parking and having to walk a bit is available, but it doesn’t change the fact that yes, there is a shortage of parking - although I’d rather frame this as an excess of cars.

I think you might be taking TL’s words a bit too literally. He’s a bit prone to hyperbole and you might want to keep that in mind.

Not that I intend in any way to excuse the illegal parking, especially of cars, and I don’t think TL is either. I think we’re all united in wanting less illegal parking 麻煩ry, and while I don’t think a lack of parking is the true root cause - as I said, excess of cars and a 差不多 attitude towards legal parking from road users and police alike are the main culprits here - it certainly doesn’t help. Nor need this excuse illegal parking, nor be a reason to make even more parking. There is a noticeable parking problem, at the very least in Taichung, almost certainly island wide given the use of 騎樓 parking and common illegal parking, regardless of whether that is used as an excuse for illegal 方便ㄟ parking.

Is that actually how it works? I’ve been a bit curious, as I don’t think most of the cars in the white boxes get fines (that I see). But I dunno. Something to pay attention to. I know some areas have signs announcing fee parking, so I assume it works like that.

I don’t like it, but I don’t disagree with it entirely.

Maybe the consumers have been marketed into it, maybe we just forgot the lessons of the oil crisis, idk, but there is a clear and present demand for the hugeification of cars. The Jeep went from a tall but slim and compact car to the soccer mom luxury offroader it is now, pickups rose the height of two small children and old ones look like scale models, the same shit for Station wagons → SUVs, etc.

Part of this is, in the us at least, related to emissions regulations weirdness, and maybe the people just drank the carmaker Kool-aid on this one - they said bigger and the crowds shouted. I dunno. But the number of suburban white collar cowboys back in the states says to me: a lot of people are feeling need to compensate for something.

Ok I don’t know how I got teleported back up into the history of the chat here above where I already replied to but uh, I didn’t know that. I thought it was citywide. Not that I’ve got a 紅牌… Least, not yet :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’d say it’s a prominent one, as they usually do nothing. This time it just is actively inconvenient to those who live there, ergo no longer ok to park illegally by Taiwanese standards, there but the police are clearly seen to be as useless as they actually are when it comes to traffic regulation.

Again, if the consumers had the damn sense to not like the big silly car, I think that’d contribute to them not being made and pushed as much.

I think you overestimate the average motorists concern towards their impact on their lived environment and the amount of tax resources that goes towards sustaining their infrastructure, esp in the suburbs. If I had to hedge a bet, focusing on america here although Taiwan also applies by and large, most of them aren’t really aware of urbanism as an idea probably beyond hearing about 15 minute city communism nonsense on fox news (or the “great” great reset thread on Forumosa!!!). Otherwise, most would be unable to see an America without car dominance as it has been this way so long and we’ve reshaped our society entirely around the car to the point that yeah, it is a pretty difficult and long term and just seemingly insurmountable obstacle to overcome.

The car owner cope and seethe on this one is going to be great. Yet another thing they could, sometimes, do conveniently without those pesky scooter peasants getting in their way being taken away from them. Love it!

Another example of stellar civil engineering

The problem with electric seems pretty much to be an inherent flaw. You get either a hateful but convenient and considerate town runabout (ala Gee-Whiz/Smart), which is certainly limited in trunk space even in comparison to older compact ICE cars, or get something that can go further & hold more, but at the expense of being super heavy because of the batteries, thus needing to make the car itself larger in some way.

I’m not certain about this, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tesla making bigger because it’s fucking Tesla, but yeah.

5 Likes

Taipei is a city inundated with public-use bicycles but recent figures show accidents involving cyclists are on the rise. Could a lack of clear rules and information be responsible?

:thinking:

1 Like

For now just 3 parking lots in Taichung. I haven’t heard anything about the duration of this “trial” or if or when it will be expanded or changed to include all legal white/green plate motorcycle parking spaces.

The official city document only lists the starting date as February 1st .

If it goes through and ends up being changed city wide I hope they name it the “If I fits, I sits” regulation.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4838654268334134466f4c6f32773d3d2d3737352e313630666631613833646264376332353837363137313532343733

The 3 parking lots are.

Hui Xin Parking lot (惠新停車場) , near Shin Kong Mitsukoshi and Top City

City Hall Underground parking lot.

FengYuan Transfer station (should be open, just old Google map street view)

2 Likes