Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

That’s what is called an ‘anecdote’. It’s not necessarily proof.

Corruption exists in all countries. Including developed ones like Taiwan. Many developed countries have worse corruption than Taiwan.

It’s a ground truth. And it suggests similar conditions in other areas.

2 Likes

No. It’s an anecdote.

Again, corruption is a problem, but not a determinant factor in whether a country is developed or not.

Only one of many contributing factors.

Corruption is endemic worldwide.

Are we arguing an opinion question? I’m not. I opened by sharing an opinion about how illegal street Taoism challenges rule of law, and that’s how I’m proceeding with this discussion.

2 Likes

And I am disagreeing that Taiwan is ‘third worldly’ because of that.

I am sharing my opinion.

My opinion as well that calling many aspects of culture here that don’t even affect you, ‘third worldly’ is in my opinion, chauvinistic.

People do illegal shit all the time in both developing and developed countries.

3 Likes

It does affect me, and I think it is “third-worldy”…whatever that really means in this barroom chat of ours.

2 Likes

How do these taoists affect you directly?

Have they hurt you physically? Have they hurt you financially?

Have they impeded you in any way that you can’t physically in any way ignore?

1 Like

Their noise, their smoke, their unsociable hours, their bending of the rules (none wear masks) because they are unwilling to follow the rules that everyone else has to follow.

2 Likes

Then avoid them. Stay away from them and you’ll be fine.

Problem solved.

Other people don’t mind them. Some might even like them.

1 Like

They live less that 50 feet away. They are impossible to ignore.

2 Likes

When I pick a house, I try to consciously pick a place I would like and do my due diligence. When my needs change, I move.

I’ve lived here 16 years, I have lots of space and we own this place.
But nevermind all that. The fact that those Taoists put themselves above their neighbors and above the laws is the point I’m making.
Traffic and illegal street Taoism make Taiwan backward.

3 Likes

And I disagree. I enjoy watching the culture here.

It’s obvious with the crowds they draw that people here don’t mind. It is a democracy here. If politicians felt that cracking down would net them votes, they would.

I just think it’s chauvinistic to shit on a different culture.

Good for you!

I agree. The noise pollution and smoke pollution they produce is offensive and some may not see it affecting them. But the long term effect of the smoke pollution is bad. Some just cannot see the trees for the wood.

Taiwan never really had much rule of law in many areas. And I quite like it that way. Japan and Singapore might be more up people’s alley for rule of law and sterility.

I don’t care for the smoke but if the locals aren’t demanding change…

2 Likes

So are the long term effects of the ‘developed’ societies of car-centric cities in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and more.

But we don’t call those ‘developing’ because…reasons?

Maybe they also cannot see the trees for the wood.

Developed and Developing are about aggregates.

What he’s complaining about is one aspect of the culture here. Taiwan isn’t backwards because of it. He just doesn’t like that. And it’s fine. It’s valid for him to dislike it.

But to call it backwards? Gimme a break.

If it’s that big a problem, sell the house and move to a better area.

6 posts were split to a new topic: From traffic

What a mess. I think this is my single biggest disappointment about Taiwan , that they never took safety , courtesy or air and noise pollution seriously even in the 21st century…Even now. I never imagined things would even get worse over the last couple of years.

Useless MOT.

2 Likes

Is the increase of tickets issued due to worse driving or increased enforcement?

1 Like

I share your frustration, and agree that the driving here is far too often atrocious, but how does that Taipei Times article indicate that things are getting worse? It could be read as cops clamping down on bad delivery drivers.

Guy